Status: Second Main Story; Very slowly Active

Now It's My Time to Strike Back

Chapter 23

I stared open-mouthed at Victoria and all of her “glory”.

The left side of her hair was pinned back while the right side obscured some of her face as she smiled at me as well as the others including the crowd.

“Hi, everyone”, she said, getting light greeting cheers from the crowd.

“I just wrote this song earlier today and I don’t think I’m a pretty good singer so go easy on me, OK?” she joked, getting a few laughs from the crowd.

“What the hell is Victoria doing performing?” Mel asked in a harsh whisper.

I only shook my head at her in response to her question. I was too stunned. What could Vic possibly sing? Was this some sort of competition to her?

My eyes met Nick’s for a moment before his attention went back to Victoria. Her voice gained my attention as she spoke.

“I’d like to thank my sister Rose for warming the crowd up for me, but this song is dedicated to one guy who stole my heart and I hope this song will explain how I feel right now”, she began before her eyes landed directly on Nick.

“This one’s for you”, she said only holding the mic before the drummer behind her began drumming the song as well as a guitarist began playing the bass.

She opened her mouth and sung.

Oh, oh, oh, oh oh oh,
Oh, oh oh.

Seems like just yesterday you were a part of me
I used to stand so tall,
I used to be so strong.
Your arms around me tight,
Everything it felt so right.
Unbreakable like nothin’ could go wrong.

Now I can’t breathe, no, I can’t sleep.
I’m barely hangin’ on.

Here I am, once again.
I’m torn into pieces here tonight,
Can’t pretend,
Just thought you were the one broken up deep inside,
But you won’t get to see the tears I cry,
Behind these hazel eyes.


Oh shit. She was talking about Nick. I stared at Nick seeing his jaw tighten just as it did when I performed Haunted. It was like déjà vu again except the roles were sort of reversed. I was sitting where Vic was last time, only one difference; I’m not dating Nick nor did I steal him from her. Her voice brought me out of my thoughts.

I told you everything,
Opened up and let you in.
You made me feel alright for once in my life.
Now all that’s left of me,
Is what I pretend to be,
So together, but so broken up inside.

‘Cause I can’t breathe, no I can’t sleep,
I’m barely hangin’ on.

Here I am, once again.
I’m torn into pieces here tonight,
Can’t pretend.
Just thought you were the one
Broken up deep inside,
But you won’t get to see the tears I cry behind these hazel eyes.


The drums as well as the guitar sort of sped up slightly in rhythm as Vic’s voice filled the room again, her attention back on Nick and only Nick.

Swallow me, then spit me out.
For hating you, I blame myseellf!
Seeing you, it kills me now!
No, I don’t cry on the outside anymoooorree!
Anymore


The music decreased as it increased again just as before.

Here I am once again!
I’m torn into pieces here toniiight,
Can’t pretend, just thought you were the one,
Broken up deep inside,
But you won’t get to see the tears I cry
Behind these hazel eyes!

Here I am once again,
I’m torn into pieces,
Here tonight, can’t pretend
Just thought you were the one broken up,
Deep inside,
But you won’t get to see the tears I cry!
Behind these hazel eyes


Immediately, the crowd erupted in cries of satisfaction once the song ended. Vic smiled, basking in the cheers and crowd, her smile brighter than usual.

“Wow! So, what did you guys think?” Ms. Thorne asked, walking next to Vic as she gave her a side hug.

The crowd replied with satisfied cheers and whistles louder than they did with me. It was comparable to the type of cheers I got after I performed Haunted last year.

“Let’s go”, Mel called, grabbing my hand and Jake’s.

I grabbed Nick’s and we exited the student lounge through the crowd.


Mel led us to our tree, surprising me again as we sat in the cool grass, Mel pacing while Jake stood with his back against the tree. I stood in between Jake and Nick whom was silent the entire time.

“What was she thinking?!” Mel erupted, scaring me at her sudden outburst.

“Singing the song, you mean?” Jake asked, getting looks from Mel and I.

“Uh, duh!” I replied in an obvious tone, folding my arms across my chest.

“She did it to get back at me, obviously”, Nick admitted in a low tone.

“Y-you? Why would she sing a song like that? Aren’t you guys together?” Mel asked before I could.

Silence fell among the four of us for one of the first times.

“Uh, silence isn’t an answer, Nick”, Jake said in a smart tone.

“Shut up, Jake!” I snapped, not in the mood. His eyes landed on me as he glared at me. I rolled my eyes before putting my attention back on Nick as Mel repeated her question.

“Are you and Victoria together or not?” Mel asked in a firm tone, taking a couple of steps closer to him.

Nick sighed deeply before speaking.

“No, we’re not”, he answered, staring her straight in the eye.

My heartbeat quickened as his words sunk in slapping me in the face mentally several times before I spoke.

“W-what?” I asked in disbelief.

“W-we broke up not long after, you know”, he said, staring at me now as he spoke.

“So, you mean to tell me that’s why you kissed Rose?!” Jake asked heatedly, his hands turning into fists.

“You know that’s not why I kissed her, Jake”, Nick replied coldly.

“Guys, that’s not the point!” Mel snapped.

“The hell it isn’t! I find these two kissing out here after I saw Vic in tears earlier and now he decides to break up with Vic?! What’d you break up with Vic for, huh? You wanted her back in April, now all of a sudden you and Rose are fucking roommates and you dump Vic for Rose? You can’t have both of them! You chose Vic so stick with her!” Jake yelled.

Vic was in tears earlier? I looked from Nick to Jake and back again as Nick diverted his gaze from the three of us before speaking again.

“I don’t want both of them. I only want Rose. The only reason why you want Rose is because she’s not with me, right, Jake?” he asked coldly.

Jake went in for a swing, but Mel held him back.

“Guys, stop! This is exactly what Rose was talking about!” she exclaimed, catching me off guard.

I didn’t know what was wrong with me as I stared at the three of them. Why did things have to be this way between Jake, Nick, Vic, and I? Why couldn’t things be simpler?

“She wants you two to stop this fighting over her and give her fucking space. You, Nick need to get your head clear. You just broke up with Vic and you might, no offense, not know for sure if you want to be with Rose or not. I can’t let you hurt Rose again”, she began, speaking to Nick first before rounding on Jake whom was smiling.

“Don’t even let me get started on you. You know Nick is right. You never seemed to have an interest in Rose until she and Nick started having problems when they were together, so the real question is why are you so interested in being with her?” she asked, staring intently at him.

Silence fell over us once more as we waited for Jake to answer.

“I-I’d rather not answer that”, Jake stammered, a blush creeping on his face even in the moonlight that shined on the campus.

Mel opened her mouth to speak, but I was shocked as my own filled the air.

“Mel, stop”, I ordered.

Her eyes met my own and she backed off, walking back to my side. I thanked her by a nod of the head.

“It’s exactly as Mel said. I don’t need to know about everything that’s going on in everyone’s heads right now. I just want to get this year over with so I can start college and so Mel can be happier being around Joe”, I said lying through my teeth.

Nick’s eyes stared intensely into my own and I diverted them to Jake’s shocked face. I had to be cold towards them. I had to start putting my walls back up with the both of them if I want the year to go by smoothly…right?

“If that’s what you want”, Nick began in a low tone, walking closer to me, “then that’s what you’ll get.”

He walked past Mel and I and walked towards the cafeteria. Mel sighed quietly before following in his footsteps.

“Is that really what you want?” Jake asked, his voice almost a whisper.

I nodded in return as I held back the tears that threatened to burst out of me.

“Fine”, Jake huffed, walking towards the cafeteria as well.

I glanced back once I felt like he was inside before allowing the tears to fall. I didn’t know if I wanted to be with Nick or if I wanted peace between everyone. I knew I couldn’t have it both ways, especially not with Vic in the picture, but there was no way getting her out of it especially not if Nick and I ended up back together.

I shouldn’t even be thinking about that. My phone made a beeping sound and I checked it seeing it was from Vic.

Enjoy the song, Rose? I bet you’ll enjoy the hell I’ll put you through once the year is over with. Enjoy what few days of freedom you have left.

I bit my lip hard as anger filled me. I was done with whatever Vic wanted to do to me. Tomorrow, it was time for a confrontation whether I liked it or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alrighty! Happy Labor Day to everyone! :D

I do not own the song that was used in this chapter. That song is Behind These Hazel Eyes by Kelly Clarkson.

I'm updating just like I promised. Unfortunately, I only have about 6 chapters left that are typed/written. :(

Hopefully I'll have more written soon, though.

Please don't forget to comment and subscribe.