Status: Second Main Story; Very slowly Active

Now It's My Time to Strike Back

Chapter 8

Somehow, we all decided to go to the nearest Subway and get sandwiches. About half an hour later, we were all changed and getting ready to get into the car when we realized someone had to drive.

I didn’t want to since I was deathly afraid of driving, but I could ride in a car. I was caught off guard as Nick spoke.

“I’ll drive then. It’s only polite since Jake drove the last time and I’m pretty sure we don’t want these ladies to drive, no offense”, he said in a polite tone, smiling brightly.

Vic stood open-mouthed at him while I laughed at the matter. I didn’t mind about Nick driving. It’s not like he didn’t pass by or know where the Subway was in the first place.

The next problem that came up, however, was the seating arrangements in the car. Vic stared at me as Nick walked to the other side of the vehicle, climbing into the driver’s seat as he waited patiently for us to make a decision.

“I’ll drive shotgun”, Vic said, but I knew otherwise.

“Uh, no. Dad left me in charge of the car, so, I’ll drive shotgun”, I retorted, giving her a look.

She squinted her eyes at me, glaring, but I ignored her entirely. Mel gave me a look, but didn’t speak as she climbed into the backseat with Jake.

I got into the front passenger seat, resting my arm on the door after I closed it, my face resting in the palm of my hand.

Vic sighed loudly in annoyance, reluctantly getting into the car on Nick's side in the backseat with Jake and Mel.

I looked back at Mel for a moment, but she shrugged back at me, the matter obviously no big deal to her. I smiled, returning my attention back to Nick.

He started the ignition, and surprisingly drove amazingly to Subway. The car ride was silent the entire time, bothering the hell out of me, but I pushed the matter away, climbing out of the car once Nick parked it in the closest parking spot.

We walked as a group with me, Jake, then Mel in the front while Nick and Vic walked behind us. We soon heard quiet chatter, realizing it was Nick and Vic arguing more than likely about who sat where in the car.

“Do they honestly have to argue over a damn seat?” Jake whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my spine.

“It’s Vic. What do you expect?” I answered, stealing a glance at them behind me.

By the time we reached the door, Jake opened it for all of us and we entered, quickly ordering and decided to eat there instead of at home.

We all somehow fit at one table, but the silence reigned like a shadow over us.
Mel decided to break the silence.

“Thanks for deciding to take us out to eat, Rose”, she said, smiling brightly after she swallowed a bite of her sub.

“No problem, guys”, I answered sweetly to everyone, including Nick and the bitch.

“We sort of had to come out to eat”, Nick added, causing me to shoot him a look.

“Sort of had to?” Vic asked the anger evident in her voice.

“Well, Nick’s blood sugar was low, so-”, I began, but she cut across me.

“And why wasn’t I told about this sooner?! Something could have happened if we didn’t get the food sooner!” she exclaimed heatedly.

“Chill, Vic. I’m pretty sure Rose would have given him something that would have had his sugar back up asap, but she probably wanted it to be healthy and not just any random thing”, Jake retorted just as angrily as her.

“That doesn’t fucking matter! I wasn’t told about his sugar being low!” she exclaimed, but stopped as she sat in thought for a few seconds before speaking again.

“Is that what you guys were doing while you were alone? You checked his blood sugar together, didn’t you? Th-that’s why you two are so close now”, she said slowly, tears filling her blue eyes.

“Oh my gosh, Vic. It’s not that serious. They’re not best friends or anything! At least they’re being civil with one another. Isn’t that just as good?” Mel asked, rubbing her temples at my sister’s arrogance.

“No! I-I’m going for a walk”, she said abruptly, standing before she left the restaurant.

Nick sighed, shaking his head. I glanced at him and our eyes met for a moment. He smiled a small smile, but that quickly faded causing me to sigh. I felt bad for him, but then again I didn’t.

Vic didn’t have to act like such a child over what happened. But at the same time, I could understand how she was feeling. I soon realized the only one person could calm her down was sitting right here, but judging by the look on Nick’s face, he didn’t want to. He was exhausted.

“I’ll talk to her”, I mumbled. I felt Mel, Jake, and Nick’s eyes on me, so I spoke once more.

“Someone has to and even though I know it’ll more than likely lead to a damn argument, I’ll do it, anyway”, I said in a more audible tone.

“Are you sure?” Mel asked. I nodded in return. She sighed before saying, “go ahead, then” and I did so.

My mind was racing a mile a minute as I walked down the shopping center, passing a couple of stores before I found Vic. She was pacing back and forth looking like a crazy person or someone who was hyped up from too much sugar.

Her heels click-clacked with each step she took, but I waited until her back was turned before I spoke once I got close to her.

“You didn’t have to react that way”, I said in a monotone.

“But you knew before I did and I’m his girlfriend! How fucked up is that?” she asked, not scared from my presence unlike earlier that day.

“Do you usually ask about his blood sugar?” I asked, not wanting to even talk to her right now.

She didn’t speak, getting me pissed at her even more than I already was.

“Stop acting like a freakin’ child over blood sugar!” I exclaimed abruptly, causing her to jump slightly, flinching at my tone.

She quickly regained her composure before responding.

“What do you know about it, Rose? You had him already, so, why did you need to watch him check his blood sugar? Why couldn’t you have just done the right thing and got me? Anything could have happened. He could have passed out or gone into a diabetic coma or something”, she rambled, but in a calm tone.

My mind clicked and I realized why Vic was so upset. She was worried; she was worried about what could have happened to Nick. I wouldn’t have been as upset as she was, but then again, I wouldn’t know. I asked Nick from time to time if his blood sugar was OK since the subject was pretty touchy when he told me, so I didn’t ask as often.

“Even though you’re with him now, I still care about his overall well-being”, I said suddenly, the words leaving my mouth before I could stop them.

Vic shot me a suspicious look, but I continued.

“I wouldn’t be myself if I didn’t at least care about that”, I added, looking away from her.

I noticed her attention get diverted to something behind me, but I ignored it, turning only to be startled by Nick.

“I’m sorry I scared you”, he said kindly, his face flushed with slight happiness.

Damn. He heard what I said. I stared at his face for a moment before simply walking past him.

“It’s no big deal. Just talk to your girlfriend”, I said after a few moments.

I didn’t return to the Subway like my mind told me to. Instead, I headed to the car, climbing into the passenger seat as my mind began to wander over the events that transpired.

What was I thinking, comforting Vic like that? What came over me? I was as Mel would say, “being too nice” again. I rubbed my forehead with my hands, my head turning in Nick and Vic’s direction.

They were talking, then, Vic embraced him in a hug. He hugged her back, then they kissed briefly. I turned away from the sight feeling like I should kick myself for even helping in the first place.

I gasped to myself, my mind realizing the horrible thing. I had helped Vic and Nick make up. I groaned loudly, holding my head with my right hand knowing no one could hear me.

It wasn’t so much as the fact that I helped them, but the fact that I wanted to do it. I cursed myself mentally for my kindness as I soon felt something wet on my hand. I took a shaky hand and lifted it to my cheeks and eyes, realizing that I was crying.

For the first time in a long time, I was crying. But what for? Why did I feel so…sad? I knew the answer already. It was approaching me as I stared in their direction again. Vic and Nick were both hand in hand, walking towards the car with Jake and Mel.

I closed my eyes, my mind filling with emotions I hadn’t felt since April. They were happy because of me. An image of Nick and I flashed in my mind, a memory of sorts. I remembered when we were happy like that even after we argued. I shook my head as I did the thoughts.

No. I shouldn’t think that way. Nick and I were done and over with and that happiness was forever gone.

Still, even as everyone climbed into the car, I couldn’t erase the thought from my mind-the thought of Nick’s face smiling because of me and it was only when a voice interrupted my thoughts which made me stop thinking altogether.

“Are you alright, Rose?” he asked in a concerned tone.

I looked at everyone in the car, noticing their concerned looks as well except Vic, flashing a fake smile on my lips.

“I’m fine. Thanks for the concern”, I lied easily.

Nick’s eyes searched me feverishly, but I turned my face away from him and everyone else. I heard a low sigh escape him before he started the ignition and drove us back to the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update! Come on, guys! Please don't be silent readers! :) I love your comments, good or bad, so please don't hesitate to comment.

I know it seems like Nick is oblivious, stupid, etc., but the truth is, he's not. You'll see what I mean in about 3-4 chapters or so from now.

Alright. The good news is I've got about 12 more chapters typed/written for this story. The bad news is, I need to write more, but I'm sort of swamped with college and everything.

I promise I'll write more before I get to the 20th chapter of this story, so yeah.

Anywho, please don't forget to comment and subscribe.

Comments+/-Subscribing=Faster Updates. :)