Sequel: Before You Say I Do

And You're Just What I Need...

Day Sixty-One

I woke up around seven and it’s now eleven. Everyone who has come a-knocking I just tell them I’m okay. I’m not quite sure what happened to Adam, whether he was still at my door or not was hard to tell, but I can say he was pretty persistent through the night. I don’t know why I’m doing this. I love the guy, and that’s the honest truth. This whole dating my ex-boyfriend without him knowing…blah, blah, blah, is pretty exhausting. That’s the real reason why I have locked myself into my room all day, exhaustion.

I crack open my balcony doors a little to get fresh air before I start to vacuum. Call me crazy, but cleaning helps me relax. I crank up my music and start the vacuum, dancing around the room. A couple songs play through and I shut off the vacuum while looking over my now squeaky clean room.

“now that’s a sight you don’t see everyday.” I hear Adam say and I twirl around to find him leaning against my balcony doorway.

"You climbed up?” I ask, raising my eyebrows at him.

“we were worried, so someone had to break in.” I roll my eyes and start to wrap the cord back onto the vacuum. Adam walks over to my desk and sits down. “plus, we need to talk.”

I push the vacuum back into the closet and sit down on my bed sighing, “yea, we do.” I stare at the starfish on my socks while the room is filled with silence.

“what did I say?” he finally asks.

I laugh, “that’s what you’re confused about?” I ask as my reply.

“okay, I know what I said. Why did you run off though?”

"You’re an amazing guy Adam, and a great boyfriend. Last I checked though, you were in love with some tourist girl named Skye.”

He shakes his head as if laughing at my statement, “Skye is of my past now. Sure, she’ll always be there, have a place in my heart and all, but now, you’re my number one girl.”

“achoo!” I hear and automatically I say “bless you.”

Adam looks at me and then at the closed door, it was then that I realized he and I were the only two in the room. I stand up and walk over to the door, opening it quietly. Katelyn falls over from leaning on the door and I crack a smile.

“hi.” She says, looking up at me. Adam walks over and wraps his arms around my waist and looks down at his sister splayed on the floor.

“were you eavesdropping?” he asks, cocking an eyebrow.

“I’m a younger sister, it’s my duty to eavesdrop and report to others in the household. I laugh and Adams eyes widen.

"You mean like mom and dad?” Katelyn nods, “Katelyn, what have you told them?”

“oh, I don’t know, bunch of stuff. You know whenever they pulled that ‘it’s written all over your face’ crap?” Adam nods, “well, lets just say it really wasn’t.”

“Katelyn, we’re talking here. So can you please go bug Finn for now?”

“fine.” She sighs and walks away down the hall. I close my door and lean against my wall, looking up at Adam.

“so anything else that’s bugging you, or was that it?” he asks.

“that was it.” I answer him.

“good.” He takes the few steps between us and traps me against the wall, “if I kiss you, you’ll kiss back this time, right?”

"You’ll just have to wait and see,” I smile seductively up to him. He leans down and just before his lips touch mine I stop him, “wait,” I say. He backs up about an inch, looking irritated.

“what?”

“first off,” I start, “don’t get so mad every time I say no, total turnoff.”

He smiles, "You stopped the kiss to tell me this?”

“no, but you reminded me about it.”

“second off?”

“I love you.” And I lean up, pressing my lips to his. He pushes me so that I’m fully pressed up against the wall and as close to him as possible.

“Remember four months you two!” I hear Finn scream at us and Adam pulls back fully and opens the door to find Finn standing at the top of the stairs.

“hey! Best friend of mine! Get your ass back over here!” he yells and Finn trudges back to my door.

“a) I would never do that with my sister right outside the door and b) it’s none of your business.” He says.

“eh, not like I never heard you and Stephanie at it.” Katelyn says, walking by and continuing down the stairs like nothing was going on.

Adams color drained. And I mean drained. He was honestly as white as…well me. Screw Italian, he looked more English at this moment. I couldn’t help but laugh and neither could Finn, we were both bent over holding our knees for support. Adam slides past Finn and walks to his room, shutting the door. I hear a click sound and stop laughing.

He just locked himself in his room. I really shouldn’t have laughed, but it was obvious Katelyn was joking, how could he not see that?

Finn walks to the door and knocks as it while I run downstairs to grab Katelyn.

"You were joking, right?” I ask her in the kitchen.

“pretty much, why?”

“cause he just locked himself in his room.”

“shit! You’re kidding right?”

“I wish I was.”

“I mean, I don’t recall hearing them or anything, everyone knew they were…you guys were just talking and I thought I’d make a joke.”

“well something is bugging him and Finn and I don’t know what.” She sips her cup of tea and thinks for a second as I sit at the table with her.

Her face goes pale, not quite as white as her brothers, but not the tan skin I’m used to either.

“what?” I ask.

“I, uh, know why he freaked out.” She says.

“well, are you going to tell me?”

“can’t. but I will go talk to him.”

In most cases I would have asked why she couldn’t tell me and all of that. But it’s not like I wasn’t hiding something big from him, I was, so it was my job to respect that he may have secrets too.

“just, stay down here.” Katelyn tells me, heading toward the stairs, “it shouldn’t take more than thirty minutes.” I nod and slide the newspaper over to me, reading it.

“what the hell is wrong with Adam?” I hear Finns voice say before reaching the table. I set the newspaper down and look up at him.

“I was hoping you could tell me.”

“we’re good friends, but it’s hard to put every detail into an email or phone call.” He says.

“true.”

Katelyn walks into the room with Dakota right behind her. “Finn, he wants to talk to you.” She says. Finn gets up and leaves the room and Katelyn turns to me, “give it time.” I nod.

“hey, we’re finishing the day as a girls day! Come on you guys!” Dakota says and grabs both of our hands, dragging us out the door.

Honestly, if Adam wasn’t going to talk to me, a girls day didn’t sound too bad. But in the back of my mind all afternoon, still listed the many problems with our relationship. Starting with our communication. I sigh and let Dakota spend her fiancés money left and right. Pretty sure I came out with more clothes than I showed up with.

I start to put away my new clothes when I hear a faint knock and then my door opening.

“can we talk?”Adam asks quietly, closing the door.

I nod and set down the shirt I was holding, preparing myself for one serious conversation.