Status: In Progress

Forsaken

Dementia

The ride to the store was a quite one. When they finally arrived at the store Katherine got out of the car and followed him into the store. “What kind of gift do you want to get her?” she asked quietly as she followed him through the store. She was still wondering what was clouding his thought back at the hospital, but she didn’t want to ask him again.

“I wanna look at the cards then maybe some flowers after.” He said walking to the card section. He was scanning through the cards when he saw one that said ‘Actions mean the most, but let the music say what we can’t….” on the front. He opened the card and the song
“Good Life ~ One Republic” started to play. He let out a slight gasp, as his eyes closed this was his and Aspens song…

All of a sudden he wasn’t in the store anymore, the room was spinning and his and Aspens song was playing as if it were on a surround sound somewhere, he started to look around. On his right Aspen was standing there with a crooked grin on her face, on his left Katherine was standing there with both arms folded across her chest. They both had a look of wonder, and love, but also of being lost but knowing… “What’s going on? Aspen? Kat? I thought we were buying a card for Aspen because she’s in surgery… Aspen… You’re not conscious…how are you standing here?” The song became even louder Spanky searched the room hoping to find where it was coming from; he started to spin in a circle just searching. He finally stopped when he looked for the girls again all he saw was Katherine,
The music stopped. The only sound left in the room was Spanky’s heavy breathing from confusion and panic, and a faint whisper of Katherine’s voice…”Spanky- - - Spanky- - -Spanky.” He forced himself to blink, and just as he did Katherine turned into Aspen she reached out her arms as if trying to grab Spanky, “Goodbye……” She mouthed as her image faded away and he was left there standing alone. “NO!” he yelled reaching out for her, he fell forward and his eyes closed. When he opened them he was reaching out for air... but he was back in the store… as if what he had seen just now was a dream.

Katherine smiled lightly as she heard Spanky and Aspen’s song playing from a card in Spanky’s hands. She jumped slightly when he yelled no and reached out for something. She looked at him for a couple seconds before she lightly grabbed his arm trying to get his attention. “Spanky.” She said when he didn’t answer she spoke slightly louder. “Spanky!” she said as she shook his arm lightly. When he finally looked at her she sighed lightly. “Are you okay?” she asked still holding onto his arm.

“No…. no I’m not…. Let’s go, I gotta… gotta check on her,,,” He walked out the store not even bothering to pay for the card that was still in his hand.

Katherine stared after Spanky for a couple seconds then ran up to the counter, she threw some money onto the counter then she ran out and jumped into the passenger side of his car. Spanky drove as fast as he legally could drive to the hospital and once they got there and he parked they both ran as fast as they could to Aspen’s room to check on her.

“Is she okay??” He said out of breath from running.

“She is fine, she just got out of surgery about an hour ago.” The nurse said making the room ready to bring Aspen back in.

“Hour? I just went to the store…. I’ve only been gone just 20 minutes.” He didn’t understand what was happening, first his incident in the store now he was losing track of time… “Is she conscious? I want to see her..”

“Yes she’s in room 115B” The nurse said pointing out the door.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aspen opened her eyes staring around the room. “Where- where am I?” She saw her feet sticking out from under the blanket; she threw the blanket off of her, to discover that her legs were both in casts. “What the fuck happened? Spanky? What did I do?” She felt the panic in her voice and in her heart begin to tighten, her voice started to crack. “Spanky?”

Katherine looked at the Nurse as she said Aspen had been out of surgery for about an hour then she looked at Spanky. “We weren’t just at the store for 20 minutes Spanky.” She said quietly still looking at him. She wanted to know what had been going on in his head since they got back from getting something to eat. He was thinking about something she just didn't know what. She sighed lightly as she followed him to the room they had Aspen in now. She hesitated for a second before she followed him into the room. She leaned against the wall closest to the door, giving Spanky time to talk to Aspen first.

“Hey beautiful.” Spanky said walking up to her and kissing her. “I’m so glad you’re okay.” He almost started to cry again.

“What happened to me Spanky?” Aspen asked sounding frightened. “Where is Katherine?”

Katherine looked at Aspen as she heard her name. She walked over so she was standing next to Spanky. “I’m right here.” She said quietly. “Do you remember anything?”

“All I remember is leaving Taco Bell… then I started to cry because of….. what you guys did to me.” She could never forget that. “And then… waking up just now.” She sighed. “That’s all.”

Spanky flinched as he heard the pain in Aspen’s voice, when she brought up what had happened. He felt horrible, and now even after what had happened in the store shortly ago… he wasn’t even sure if this was real right now, if Aspen was really awake talking. He leaned his head against the post of her bed, as if to hide himself, to hide his pain, and to hide his shame most of all.

Katherine light bit her lip as she heard the pain in Aspen’s voice. She felt so bad about what her and Spanky had done. She looked at Spanky as he leaned his head against the post of her bed then she looked back at Aspen. “Well, you were in a car accident.” She said just as quietly as she’d spoken the first time. She was happy Aspen hadn’t told her to get the fuck out as soon as she’d seen her. Her and Aspen had been best friends since they first met and she didn’t want to lose her because of her feelings for Spanky, even if he was at one point in her life the love of her life. She sighed lightly as she looked at Aspen thinking about everything that had happened recently.

“Damn.” That’s all Aspen said, she reached out for Spanky’s hand and laced her fingers with his. “I’m ready to go home… please.”

Katherine looked at Spanky for a couple seconds before he looked up at her then she looked back at Aspen. “I’ll go talk to the nurses and see what we can do.” She said with a light smile then she walked out to the nurses’ desk.