Status: Work In Progress

Riley Wyler

The Airport

“Flight 1A to Paris now boarding!” the P.A announcer said.

Ash and her father grabbed their carry-on bags and stood from the waiting chairs in the small airport cafeteria.

I stared into her scared eyes and felt tears begin to well in mine.

“I promise I will write,” she whispered sadly.

I grabbed a photo from my sweater pocket of the both of us from grade ten and handed it to her. “Please don’t ever forget me.”

“I won’t.” She smiled through the thick sadness on her face and then hugged me. I knew then that I would never be able to replace her, and as she pulled away and waved goodbye for the last time I felt my heart slowly die. The memories flooded in fast and I couldn’t help but cry. I didn’t even care who saw me.

When she disappeared into the terminal I ran to the window to see her get on the plane. She passed by the window with her Dads arm around her neck and so distracted in conversation that she didn’t even see me. When everyone had boarded the plane I ran outside in a huff of estrogen's’ and not even bothering to so much as notice the strangers I passed.

I interlocked my fingers into the gate that separated the cars from the run-way and caught Ash’s plane lifting off the ground and rising up.

Defeated, I sunk to the pavement and sobbed. My heart hurt so bad that I couldn’t bear another thought. She was gone now. There was no hope left.

I called a taxi.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was listening to the song "Someone Like You" by Adele while writing this short chapter of Rileys' feelings. the music was a very strong inspiration.