‹ Prequel: One Last Wish
Status: A One Shot - Complete.

I Know I'll Find My Own Way

Chapter 1/1

“No!”

Malach sighed at Molly’s resolute answer to his request. From the moment he’s met her he’d know that she was stubborn, strong willed and highly opinionated. However, she was also loving, caring and compassionate, something that made her good at her job. In fact she was one of the best at what she did.

“But Molly, it’s –“ he began as she crossed her arms over her chest adamantly.

“No, I’m not doing it. You can’t make me, it’s not fair.” She yelled at him, fighting the tears that she could feel welling up in her eyes.

“I know it’s not fair Molly, but it has to be done. If you don’t do it someone else will. We just think it’ll be better coming from you.” he said calmly.

She huffed, staring at Malach for a long moment.

“I can’t go back there.” she said finally, “I’ve spent the past two and a half years avoiding that place, avoiding him.”

“Molly, listen, I understand, I really do, but this is such a delicate case, the boss wants you to do this one. She thinks that it’ll be easier for him if the news comes from someone he knew, from a friend.” He told her truthfully.

“She’s really asked for me personally?” she asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yeah, doesn’t think there’s anyone better to do the job.” He replied with a smile.

“When?” she asked quietly.

“The end of December, she won’t give me an exact date yet.” He told her.

“That soon? Shit!” she replied, taking a deep breath before she continued. “Okay, I’ll do it. For him though, not her. But I see this through to the end, when he get’s here he doesn’t get passed on to someone else.”

“Okay, I’ll talk to her. Thanks Molly.” Malach replied with a saddened smile.

“This job seriously sucks some days.” She muttered as she stood up to leave.

****

“I love you.” Brian whispered quietly to himself as he looked out over the ocean. The wind blew softly, blowing his dark hair. He was stood at the same spot on the beach where he would visit at least once a week without fail. It was the spot that he and Bridget had decided to scatter Molly’s ashes a month after the funeral. They had chosen that particular spot after Bridget had told him that it was one of Molly’s favourite spots on the beach. She loved having picnic’s there because despite the beautiful views, very few people actually used it.

It was perfect.

As he turned to walk away, the silence was broken as his cell phone ringing in his pocket.

“S’up dude?” he asked quietly as he made his way back to his car.

“You okay dude? You sound quiet.” Matt asked.

“I’m at the beach.” he replied.

“Oh.” Matt replied knowing exactly where Brian was. “Um, you on your way over?”

“Yeah, what do I need to pick up on my way?” Brian asked knowingly.
Matt chuckled. “Jimmy forgot to pick up chips and dips.”

“I’ll pick some up.” he replied with a shake of his head, a small smirk on his thin lips.

“Cheers dude.” Matt replied before Brian hung up, not realising that he was being watched.

Everyone was gathered at Jimmy’s house for their post Christmas gathering. It was something they had done every year for as long as they could remember. It wasn’t where Molly wanted to make her first contact with Jimmy, what with everyone else being there, but she had to follow orders. When Molly became a Seraphim, the Archangels had quickly noticed how caring and compassionate she was and she was sort after to become a Guardian Angel. She was one of the many thousands of angels who would not only look after people, but who had the job to, for want of a better word, collect souls once their time was up and in some cases prepare them.

She sat on the rooftop of the house opposite watching as people began to arrive, waiting for Brian. Seeing him stood at the beach had broken her un-beating heart. Hearing him whisper I love you had made her realise just how much she missed him and still loved him too.

She had always been thankful that they had been able to declare their love for each other before she died and once she had past into the afterlife she had made the decision to stay away. She couldn’t deal with seeing him.

But now here she was, being faced with seeing him again, and there was nothing she could do or say. The only person she was allowed to make contact with was Jimmy.

She sighed as she watched the familiar black BMW pull up into Jimmy’s driveway and watched Brian step out of the car, a grocery bag in his hands as he made his way up the driveway to the front door.

As she watched as he walked into the house without knocking, a booming male voice echoed through her mind, “Time is ticking Molly.”

“I know, I know.” she muttered back, closing her eyes as she disapperated, disappearing from the rooftop in a shimmer. When she opened her eyes she was inside, stood at the top of Jimmy’s stairs.

Taking a deep breath she closed her eyes and listened to the conversations that were taking place down stairs and out in the back yard. She could here everyone’s voice apart from his. Cursing lightly at herself, she told herself to concentrate on the job in hand. This was about Jimmy, not her and Brian.

She slowly made her way down stairs, thankful that the soft carpet muffled the sound of her heels she was wearing. If she’d had a working heart it would have been pounding violently in her chest as she walked through the house, passing Gena and Lacey as they talked in the kitchen before stepping out onto the patio where the rest of the group were gathered.

“Can I ask you something dude?” Matt’s voice caught her attention. She turned to see him sat on one of the lawn chairs next to Brian who had shrugged his shoulders in reply. “What do you do when you go to the beach?”

Brian turned to face him, Molly watching intently wanting to know the answer to the question as much as Matt did.

“I talk to her.” He said quietly, a small smile slipping onto his thin lips. “I tell her everything.”
Matt nodded quietly in reply, taking a sip of his beer.

“You think I’m crazy don’t you?” Brian asked.

“What? No, um, I, well…Do you think she can hear you?” he replied.

Brian ran a large hand over his tired face, “I don’t know dude, I just like the thought of her being able to.”

“From now on I will.” She whispered quietly. She was so caught up in Brian and Matt’s conversation that she didn’t notice Jimmy walking towards her until it was too late to move. She felt him shiver as he past straight through her and walked into the house. She turned to watch him, realising that she had been given her opportunity.

She stood in the hallway, preparing to show herself as he walked out of the bathroom. She watched as the door handle moved and the door opened. Jimmy stepped out, his eyes glancing quickly in her direction as he made his way to the top of the stairs. Then he stopped suddenly, whipping his head around, his eyes wide as he stared right at her.

“Mmmolly?” he stuttered, his lanky frame rigid.

“Hi Jimmy.” she whispered with a smile.

“No fucking way!” he screamed, shaking his head as he turned and ran down the stairs.

“Jimmy wait!” she yelled after him, disapperating quickly and reappearing at the foot of the stairs in front on Jimmy.

“No, you’re dead! I can’t be seeing you.” he yelled, running straight through her, shivering again.

“Jimmy? What’s with all the yelling?” Val asked, stopping him in his tracks.

“It’s, it’s just, I’ve just seen…” he muttered, too scared to turn back to where Molly was stood.

“Just seen what Jim?” she asked.

“But I can’t have, I can’t have seen her.” he muttered quietly.

“Her? Jimmy who did you see?” she asked again, taking a step closer to him, gently taking hold of his arm, instantly noticing the goose bumps as he stood there shaking.

“I saw Molly.” He said quietly.

“Molly? As in Brian’s Molly?” she asked nervously.

Jimmy nodded, chancing a quick glance around to where Molly had last been stood. Val followed his gaze.

“Is she still there?” Val asked, Jimmy turning his head back to face the blonde.

“You can’t see her?” he asked.

“Sorry Jimmy.”

“But she’s right there.” he told her.

“Who’s right where?” they both turned to face Brian who was looking confused.
Jimmy took a step closer to Brian, “You’re gonna think I’m crazy, but Molly’s here.”

“Molly? My Molly?” Brian asked quietly as Jimmy nodded.

“She’s stood right there.” he said quietly pointing at Molly who was still stood frozen to the spot.

Brian’s eyes followed Jimmy’s finger, his eyes gazing over the spot at the foot of the stairs before they returned to Jimmy. “She’s not there Jim.”

“But she is!” he pleaded, turning to Molly “Let them see you. Say something. You spoke to me, why not them?”

“I can’t.” she muttered her eyes full of remorse.

“She spoke to you?” Brian asked causing Jimmy to turn back to face him.

“She said hi to me.” he said quietly.

“That’s it? Just said hi?” Brian asked.

Jimmy turned back to face Molly “Please, just say something they can hear.” He pleaded as Molly shook her head, thankful that she no longer had the ability to cry.

“Why would you fuck around like this Jimmy? Today of all days.” Brian yelled.

“I’m not fucking around! She’s stood right there!” he yelled back, pointing an angry finger at Molly.

“Fuck you Jimmy, I can’t deal with this now.” Brian yelled throwing his hands up in the air as he stormed past him and Val towards the front door, slamming it behind him.

“But she’s there.” Jimmy yelled after him.

“What’s with all the yelling? And where’s Brian gone?” Matt asked as he entered the room.

“Well apparently I’m going completely crazy.” Jimmy muttered, glaring at Molly before turning for the stairs.

“Jimmy, wait, you need to talk to us about this.” Val called after him.

“No I don’t. Please just leave me alone.” He replied making his way up the stairs.

“What the fuck was that about?” Matt asked.

“I think it’s best if everyone comes over to ours and I’ll explain everything there.” Val replied with a sigh as Jimmy’s bedroom door slammed shut.

After waiting for everyone else to leave the house and hopefully for Jimmy to calm down a little, Molly slowly made her way to Jimmy’s room, finding him led on his bed staring up at the ceiling.

“Jimmy I’m sorry.” She muttered, watching as he sat up sharply. “I can only show myself to the people I’m here for.”

“You made me out to be a liar and crazy too.” he retorted.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered again. Jimmy was silent for a moment as he watched her.

“Why are you here?” he asked.

“I’m here for you.” she told him truthfully, taking a step closer to the bed.

“And you’re a ghost?” he asked not taking his eyes off her.

“An angel.” She explained.

“An angel?” he repeated. “So what? Are you like my guardian angel or something?”
Molly stepped closer to him as she spoke, “Kinda, yeah I guess.”

“But why are you here? Why now?” he asked sitting up on the bed, Molly taking a step forward to sit on the edge of the bed.

“I’m here for you Jimmy.” she said quietly a saddened look in her eyes.

“But I don’t get what you mean. Why haven’t I seen you before?” he asked.

“Because it wasn’t your time until now. I’m sorry Jimmy.” she said, reaching out her hand to hold his.

“Not my time?” he whispered, “Wait, do you mean..?”
Molly nodded her head seeing the realisation spread across his face. “I’m sorry Jimmy.”

“When? Tonight?” he asked in a whisper.

“All I’ve been told is before the end of the year. I’m here to try and prepare you and I’ll also help you adjust to the afterlife when you get there.” she explained.

“Do you know how?” he asked and again Molly shook her head.

“I’m sorry Jimmy, even if I did know I wouldn’t be allowed to tell you. I’ll be here for you though, all the way.” She said.

“You don’t look like I always imagined Angel’s being. You look hot.” He said with a smile.
Molly looked down at her appearance and smiled, “Yeah well, you can thank Marilyn for this, apparently she started a bit of a revolution when she arrived, modernised a few things, with help from a few others of course.”

He leaned across, gently lifting the necklace she wore with his finger. “Angel wings?”

“Yeah, they’re easier to carry around that way.” She replied with a smile.

“What’s it like? Dying and the afterlife?” he asked.

A small smile appeared on Molly’s lips as she began to explain about the afterlife and what he could expect when he arrived. They talked for a long while before they were interrupted by someone banging hell out of the front door.

“It’s Brian. He’s drunk.” She said with her eyes closed as Jimmy stood from the bed to go and answer it.

“Is he mad?” Jimmy asked stood in his bedroom doorway.

“No, just upset.” She murmured. Jimmy nodded before making his way down the stairs where Brian was still thumping the door.

As Jimmy opened the door he found Brian slumped against the frame, a bottle of vodka in his hand.

“Was she really here Jimmy?” he asked looking up at this best friend.

“I think you better come in.” he replied stepping forward to help Brian over the doorstep and over to the sofa.

“Was she here?” he asked again once they were sat down.

“Yeah, she still is actually, we’ve been talking.” Jimmy told him.

Brian sat open mouthed, there were a hundred and one things he wanted to ask, to know, he just didn’t know what to ask first. He glanced around the room quickly “Where is she?”

“She’s in my room.” he replied, Brian immediately jumping to his feet and making his way towards the stairs. With a sigh, Jimmy followed him.

“Is she still here?” he asked as he looked around the room.

“Yeah, she’s sat on the end of my bed.” he replied as Brian began to walk towards her.

“Molly?” he whispered as he knelt down in front of her. “Please talk to me, let me see you.”

“I can’t.” she whispered, swallowing back the lump that had formed in her throat.

“She say’s she can’t.” Jimmy said.

“But why? Why can you see and hear her, why can’t I?” he pleaded.

“She can’t, she’s not allowed to.” Jimmy said.

“But I love her.” Brian muttered.

“Tell him I love him too.” she replied, not taking her eyes off Brian’s sad face.

“She says she loves you too.” Jimmy told Brian.

“I miss him everyday.” She added, Jimmy repeating her words to Brian.

“I miss her too.” he whispered back. Slowly, Molly lifted her hand and placed it gently against Brian’s cheek, a small smile appearing as he winced at the feeling.

“That’s her dude.” Jimmy said as she placed her other hand against her other cheek. He inhaled deeply, a content smile appearing on his lips.

“She still wears the same perfume.” He murmured. “I loved that smell, I still keep a bottle. So I don’t forget.”

She leaned forward again, her lips pressing lightly against his. “I love you Brian.” she whispered before letting go of him.

“I can’t do this right now Jimmy, I’m sorry. Tell him I love him and that I will always be at the beach when he’s there.” she said before disapperating again.

“She’s gone.” Jimmy said as brain slumped down on the floor against the bed. He walked over to the bed and sat down next Brian.

“She said she loves you and that she’ll always be on the beach when you’re there.” he told him.

“I know I need to move on Jimmy, but I still love her so much. She was taken from me too soon. We should have been married with kids by now.” he said quietly.

“I know dude, you two may just have been perfect together.” Jimmy told him with a smile. “And I know she’ll always have a big part of your heart.”

“I’ve got to move on though don’t I?” he said.

“Yeah you do. And no one’s going to think bad of you for doing so, or even asking out Larry’s new assistant.” Jimmy replied with a smirk.

“Shannon?” Brian replied with a smile.

“Yeah, I’ve seen the way you’ve been looking at her, you should go for it dude, I think Molly would approve too.” he replied.

“She would wouldn’t she? Thanks dude.” Brian replied, turning to hug his best friend.

“Anytime dude.” Jimmy said quietly.

***

Jimmy spent the following two days with his friends, spending as much time with them having fun as possible without letting on that he knew that anyone of the next couple of days could be his last.

After leaving Matt’s house, it was the early hours of the morning when he walked happily into his house. He made his way up to his bedroom, jumping slightly as he found Molly stood at the end of his bed.

“Hey Molly.” He said with a smile.

“Hi Jimmy.” she replied with a sad smile.

Jimmy stopped in his tracks, staring at Molly. “It’s time isn’t it?”

“I’m sorry Jimmy.” she whispered.

“What’s going to happen?” he asked.

“You’re going to go to bed and fall asleep. I’ll find you in your dream.” She told him.

“As simple as that?” he asked, Molly nodded. “I’m scared.”

“Don’t be. Everything’s going to be okay. I won’t leave you.” she told him. “Just go to bed Jimmy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This one shot has been in my head for a couple of months, I wasn't sure whether I wanted to write it or even post it, but here it is.....

What do you guys think? Please leave your feedback as this was hard for me to write and just as hard to post.

If you missed it back in 2009, here's a link to the prequel One Last Wish

Molly