Waiting for a Love Like This

1 / 1

I sipped on my tea as I sat at Light 44 on Point Hill Street in Greenwich. It was a beautiful day in London, the sun shone, the temperature was warm and a breeze would periodically blow to cool the body down. I had taken a few hours to myself to relax and enjoy London for what it truly was, a historic and beautiful city with many hidden gems.

I had already spent a month in London and I knew that I would be here for another month but it didn’t mean that I didn’t miss home. But the problem was that he wasn’t home and because he wasn’t home I didn’t want to be there. It felt cold, barren and empty and that was the last thing that a place that you called home should feel like.

My phone rang and I pulled it out of my bag as my waitress started to approach the table, my lunch in her hands. Looking at the name a smile tugged onto my lips as I flipped the phone open.

“Hold on Baby.” I told him as the waitress approached and placed the Sunday Roast in front of me. I might have been a small girl, but this was my favorite meal to eat in London. It had everything that you could possibly ask for and this place made it best. The roasted beef was always cooked to perfection and the mashed potatoes were just right when covered in Light 44’s signature gravy sauce. The vegetables were steamed to perfection but the best thing was the Yorkshire pudding, which the Light 44 chef most definitely cooked the best in London.

“Would you like anything else Kate?” I smiled at the waitress as I looked up at her from my food.

“No I think I’m all good Liza. If I’ll need anything I’ll just come inside.” Liza nodded her head at me as she headed to greet a couple that was standing at the entrance. The thing that I loved most about this place was it accommodated anyone. If you wanted to sit and eat outside you had that, but if you wanted more of a romantic indoor atmosphere it had that as well. I was currently seated outside, enjoying the warm afternoon.

“Sorry about that Bri, I just got my food. It’s lunch time over here.”

“It’s okay, don’t worry about it Kate. So how’s London treating my girl?” A smile formed on my lips as I took a bite of the Yorkshire pudding. He knew I loved London; apart from Huntington it was my second favorite city to live in.

“It’s good you know. I’m not too far from my apartment today, so I’m lucky to be in my favorite part of the city. How’s Australia?” He laughed at my words as I heard rustling on the phone, wherever he was, it was slightly windy there.

“Australia, is well… its Australia you know. It’s beautiful and the people are all nice. I’m just missing you.” A blush set on my cheeks at his words. He was always a sweet talker, even thousands of miles apart from each other. “So where are you exactly in Greenwich?”

“I’m on Point Hill Street between King George Street and Blissett. It’s this little gem that’s called Light 44, not many people come here but it’s lovely. You should know about it, I tell you all the time.” I told Brian without thinking that he had no idea where it is that I really was in London. But this small place brought me so much joy here that everyone had to know.

“Very detailed baby, that’s what I love about you. You know how lucky I am?” I leaned back in the chair, taking a quick break from my food and making sure that I paid more attention to Brian.

“No I don’t know how lucky you are.” I told him as a smile crawled onto my lips, I knew where he was going with this. He always told me the same thing when we were apart. He wanted me to know exactly how I made him feel.

“I’m so lucky that we are in love in every way possible, even though half the time we are miles apart. I’m lucky to have been everywhere that this world took me, but I’m still able to come home to you.” I heard as Liza greeted someone in the background but I paid no attention to her. Brian had my full attention; he always had it when I was talking to him.

“You’re so corny Brian, but that’s how I love it. You know why?” I told him into the phone as I bit my lip.

“No I don’t know why?” He answered me but he already knew the answer. We always said the same words to each other so that we never forget how much it is that we actually loved each other when we were half a world apart.

“Because no-one knows how long we had waited for a love like this. We’re always traveling and sometimes to remind each other we have to a bit corny.” I told him as I crossed my legs and leaned my head on my hand, getting more comfortable in the chair that I sat in.

“You want to know why else I’m lucky?” I heard him whisper in the phone and I nodded my head though I knew that he didn’t see it.

“Tell me.”

“I’m lucky because I’m in love with my best friend.” I felt a hot breath on my ear as he whispered the words to me. I sat frozen in my chair, afraid to turn to see if it was really Brian behind me. I was terrified that it was an illusion that my mind created. Sure I had heard the phone hang up and I felt the presence behind me, but I couldn’t move. I was afraid it was a dream that he often invaded when we were so far apart. “Kate, baby, any reaction would be amazing.” When he spoke those words I turned and looked into his chocolate brown eyes. There was happiness in them and I knew that my own blue eyes got a shade lighter due to my excitement.

I dropped my own phone onto the table and wrapped my hands around his neck as I pulled him down so that his thin lips could meet my own. His hands came up and rested on my back, as he didn’t waste his time asking me for permission to let his tongue in. It had been a while since I had seen him. He had been on tour for four months and I had been in Europe for three; so I didn’t think twice about letting him in.

“Lucky to finally be home.” He mumbled against my lips and a smile came onto them. I had completely forgotten that we were in a public place, it was just us and that was all that mattered.

“What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be in Australia.” He shrugged his shoulders as he crouched down in front of me so that he didn’t have to bend his back to be at my level.

“I missed you too much. Plus we got a week off and I decided to travel across the oceans that separated us to see you. I couldn’t wait another month before I finally got to see my baby girl.” I pushed our foreheads together as we stayed in the same position. This was the moment that I was so lucky that this place was never too crowded.

“How did you get here so quickly Bri?” He smiled wider as he ran his hand through my hair, looking me in the eyes.

“Baby’ it’s a Friday and every Friday since you got here, you have been eating in Light 44. I know this place almost as well as you do.” I blushed lightly knowing that I always told him about this place in too much detail.

“So you called just to make sure I was here.” He pressed our lips together once again as his calloused hand came to my cheek, holding me in place.

“Kind of, but more than that, I called you because I couldn’t wait any longer to hear your voice and I knew the surprise was going to be even better this way.” He told me as he pulled us apart. The smile that invaded my lips never disappeared. I was the happiest girl in the world at that moment. I knew how much he loved me, how much he cared about me. He traveled half the world just to see me and I hadn’t even had the chance to think about him leaving soon. How I knew that the last kiss that we would have would not be enough and how I would want another one.

His words were so true though;
How lucky we were that we were in love with our best friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like this and comments are highly appreciated.