Status: Sporadically active with VERY long hiatuses. Sorry for any grammar mistakes!

Just Another Pretty Face in the Crowd

Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five - The Replacement

I waited till Sidney was long gone before I confronted Dustin. He was sitting on the couch in my apartment, like he hadn’t just spent the whole day offending me and trying to ruin my new relationship.

I stood in front of the TV, staring him down, “Want to explain what happened today?”

Dustin just sat there for a moment. "You make a better door than a window."

I ignored his statement, not caring that I was standing in front of the TV. “I thought you wouldn’t do anything if I was happy!”

“You’re happy?” he asked. “Are you truly happy?”

“Yes!” I pretty much shouted. “You really can’t see that? You’re my twin brother, Dustin! You should know these things!”

“You don’t know the things I’ve heard about him! He is just using you!” Dustin shouted.

“Is that what you think?” I asked. “You think he is just playing me? Seriously?”

“Yes, seriously.” Dustin stuck to his guns.

“If he was using me, do you think that he would open doors for me? Do you think he would have taken almost a whole month to get to know me? Do you think he would have looked you dead in the eye and told you all the things he did at the restaurant?”

I was fuming at this point. Dustin seemed to notice that I was getting riled up because he didn’t say anything.

“Seriously, Dustin. I like him! I am happy with him! He wouldn’t do all those sweet things just to use me. I don’t believe that he would waste all that time, put in all that effort, just to use me.” I continued to rant. “Why can’t you just open your eyes and see that he isn’t like everything you fucking heard?”

Dustin just looked at me, his lips were in a thin line. He still refused to speak. I continued on with my rant. If he wasn't going to speak then I sure was.

“If you can’t accept the fact that I’m dating Sidney, you can either get out of my apartment and find a ride to the airport right now or you can grow up. You pick,” I said. I had always been one to believe that family is more important than any girlfriend or boyfriend. This time my brother had pushed me too far. I don't know what made Sidney so special but something told me I would be making a big mistake if I just let him walk out of my life.

At my words, Dustin’s brow burrowed, “You would seriously kick me out? All for a guy you've barely known for a month?”

My answer was immediate and clear, “Yes.”

“Why?” Dustin asked, confused.

“He makes me happy. I will not miss a chance on something that could potentially be the best thing that ever happened to me,” I answered.

Dustin stayed quiet as he continued to look at me. I continued to stare at him, blocking his view of the TV. It felt like an eternity before he sighed and broke his eye contact with me.

“I’m assuming you are staying then?” I said. My voice caught a softer edge to it but it was still icy. I didn’t realize how loud it had gotten.

He nodded and looked back at me, “I’m sorry, okay?”

“I’m not the one you should be apologizing to, Dustin.” I answered, my voice went stern again. “You were nothing but an asshole to him! He was trying to be nice to you and you were just a dick!”

Dustin’s jaw set as he stared at my apartment door. It was almost like he was double thinking things now.

“The door is right there, Dustin. If you don’t want to stay here: It's. Right. There.” I voiced the obvious.

“I’m. Not. Leaving.” His voice mimicked my tone.

“Then you will apologize to him,” I said, sternly. I left no room for argument.

Dustin sighed and nodded in defeat, “Fine.” With that, all the tension evaporated into thin air.

I let out the breath that I never realized I was holding, “Thank God.” I sat down next to him on the couch.

Dustin chuckled lightly at me, “He’s right you know." I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion but didn't look at him, letting him continue. "You worry too much.”

“I wouldn’t have to worry so much if you weren’t such a dickhead.”

He just shrugged, “He passed though.”

I just stared at my brother in disbelief. All that attitude he gave during the day was just a test.

“I wasn’t lying about hearing stuff though. Hockey players are worse than little old ladies when it comes to gossip. I just heard a lot of bad things when I got to DC,” he explained. “But you were right.”

“Of course, I’m right,” I answered, cockily. “I’m always right.”

Dustin just pushed my shoulder a little, playfully, “You made a point earlier. He wouldn’t have done all that and treat the way he does just to get in your pants.”

“You shouldn’t have been asshole the entire time,” I said.

Dustin just nodded, “I know. I’m sorry. I’ll apologize to him when we see him next.”

“That is if you didn’t scare him off,” I replied.

“Trust me, Dru, I didn’t scare him off.” Dustin said, smirking at my insecurities. “You didn’t see the look in his eyes when he was talking to me about you.”

I smiled softly, looking at the coffee table instead of everything else, “You said he passed. What exactly did he pass?”

Dustin sighed and shifted uncomfortably, “If he can handle me being a complete dick, he’s cool.”

I smiled a little.

“I promise to lay off him from now on. You guys were both right. You’re happy and that’s what’s important.” he said. “I swear if he hurts you though, I’m gonna make sure his ass gets beat in our next hockey game.”

“How is a goalie going to do that?” I said, smirking.

“I’ll get Ovechkin or Oshie to have his number,” he replied, mulling over his plan like Sidney had already done something bad.

I glanced at him, “Don’t put that plan in motion, please?”

“What did I just say? As long as he doesn’t hurt you, I’ll lay off,” he said.

“Good.”

“Are we cool?” he asked. I could hear it in his voice. He thought that I wasn’t going to forgive him.

I looked at him, “As long as Sidney is fine, I’ll be fine.”

“He means a lot to you,” he said simply.

“Yes. He does.” I answered. “I like him a lot, Dustin. Like there are times where I don’t want to be with anyone but him. I don’t want to talk to anyone but him. When I worry, he’s the only person that I think about.”

Dustin pursed his lips as he listened, “You love him, huh?”

I looked at my twin, “I wouldn’t call it love.”

“Of course, you wouldn’t,” he said, smirking.

I just looked at the TV, not paying attention to what was actually on the screen.

“Let me guess,” he spoke when he realized that I wasn’t going to say anything. “His hugs are your only comfort. When he kisses you, it’s like someone hooked up to a defibrillator and shocked the hell out of you. When he holds your hand, it’s like the missing piece in your life has finally been found.”

I turned to look at him, “How do you know that?”

“You’re easy to read,” he said, smirking. “I may have been an asshole but I saw everything.”

“Then why -” I began but Dustin cut me off.

“I used to be the one you always went to when you were in trouble. Sure, Tony is there but when you were in serious trouble you always came to me,” he said quietly.

It dawned on me then, “You think he’s replacing you?”

“I know he is replacing me,” he clarified.

I shook my head and laughed a little, “You’re my brother. He’s just my boyfriend.”

Dustin just looked at me out of the corner of his eyes, “He isn’t just your boyfriend. Eventually you’ll see that he’ll be the one you need more than you need me.”

*****

“Dustin, I’m heading out,” I said, poking him awake. I didn't want him to wake up to find that the apartment was empty. Even though he hid it very well, he was just as big of a worry wart as I was. I didn't need him freaking out over something as simple as me going to school.

He grunted in response and rolled over on the fold out mattress.

“Good enough for me,” I said more to myself than to him. “I’ll be back around 2.”

He grunted again and tried to move further away from my voice but bumped into Caesar, who had jumped up the mattress after his breakfast.

I just shrugged and headed out the door, hoping that Dustin kept his word about apologizing to Sidney.

*****

I heard voices on the other side of my door as I walked onto my floor. ’Who the hell is in my apartment?’

I unlocked my door and walked in. On my couch was not only Dustin but Sidney, Kris, Geno, and Tony. Caesar was was laying comfortably between my brother and my boyfriend.

“Afternoon,” I said, waving a little at them. I heard Caesar’s tail thump again my couch.

“Have fun in class?” Tony asked. I could hear his playful smugness in his voice.

I threw my bag at him, which made he fumbled. “Oh, yes, thanks for asking. Pretty please do my homework for me?” It was more of a demand than a question.

Tony laughed, “You’re funny.” He threw my bag back at me, which I caught one handed.

“And you’re a dick,” I answered, walking into the kitchen.

“Do we really have homework?” he called out to me.

“Go screw yourself, Anthony!” I called back. I heard all the guys laugh at my response making me smirk to myself.

“I think she’s might kill you,” Dustin’s voice said, through his laughing.

“Still debating!” I called back as I rummaged through my cabinets and fridge for something to snack on.

“Come on, Dru! Don’t be like that,” Tony whined. “It was just one class.”

“More like ten,” I mumbled under my breath as I stuck a bag of plain popcorn in the microwave.

I heard someone start walking my way. I quickly glanced over my shoulder to see Sidney walking in.

“Hey,” he said, walking up and wrapping his arms around my waist.

“Hey, you,” I said, happy to be in his arms. “How was your day?”

“You know what's shocking. Yesterday, your brother was this gigantic asshole and today he shows up at the arena to watch morning practice acting like we’ve been best friends for years. He even apologized,” he said, swaying me lightly right to left and back again.

“Really?” I said, faking surprise. “I wonder what got into him.”

“I think I have an idea,” he said, nuzzling his face in the crook of my neck and shoulder. I felt him kiss me lightly on my neck. It physically sent chills up my spine. He laughed lightly at my reaction.

“Shut up,” I mumbled.

I felt him smile into my neck and kiss me again. This time I was smart enough to suppress the chill that ran up my spine.

He then rested his chin on my shoulder, “How was your day?”

“It was good,” I said, leaning back into him. “Stressful, but overall good.”

We jumped a little when the microwave beeped, letting me know the popcorn was done. I had completely forgotten about it.

“Are you going to share some of that?” he asked, letting me go so I could dump the bag into the bowl I had grabbed.

“Why should I?” I asked.

“It would be really nice of you to share some,” he said, staring at the popcorn and then back at me. “Please?”

“Fine." I answered, caving a little. "You can have a handful,” I thought my compromise was fair. His handful turned into taking the whole entire bowl into the living room for the rest of the guys. “Hey! That is mine!”

“Look what Dru made for us,” he said, setting it down on the coffee table. “Isn’t she the sweetest?”

“Seriously!” I stomped on the ground. “That was mine!”

“Go make more,” Dustin said simply, shoving a few pieces into his mouth.

I made a face, “Why don’t you make more?” I countered.

Dustin just shrugged and continued to eat with everyone else. I rolled my eyes and went back into the kitchen.

“Thanks, babe!” Sidney shouted from the living room.

“Jackass!” I replied as I grabbed another bag of popcorn for myself. “Never trusting him again,” I muttered to myself as I repeated the process all over again.

While I waited, I rummaged through my bag for my Calculus book. My mind focused on the pages that were assigned to the class for homework. I had managed to keep up with the class till now and it was starting to take a toll on me.

“You okay?”

I glanced over my shoulder to see Dustin standing behind me, his face etched with worry. He could tell something was wrong.

'His spidy senses must have tingled.' I had to suppress a giggle at the thought. “I’m fine,” I answered back in the best voice I could muster. Knowing that he was my twin and he knew I was lying, I turned my attention back to the pages.

“Bullshit,” he said, walking over to me. He set down the empty bowl on the counter and sat down in the stool next to me. “What’s up?”

I shoved the book over to him and went to the microwave to pull out my new bag of popcorn out.

“Is this Chinese?” he asked, trying to be playful but I wasn’t really in the playful mood anymore.

“It’s Calculus,” I answered, dumping the popcorn in a new bowl. “I’m passing with A but…” I trailed off. I was always the smart one. I graduated Valedictorian at my high school. This shouldn’t have to be this hard for me.

“You’re afraid you’ll fail?” he looked at me like I was joking. “You have an A.”

“I know I won’t fail but my 4.0 GPA will take a hit if I don’t keep it up,” I explained. I popped a popcorn kernel in mouth. I sat down and grabbed the book back from him. “Last couple weeks, I’ve been struggling to keep up with it. Part of me just wants to drop the course and hope I can get it next time.”

Dustin pushed me lightly, “Who are you and what have you done with Drusilla Thompson?”

I just looked at him confused.

“The Drusilla Thompson I know would never quit, especially at something so simple as schoolwork."

I sighed, “I never felt like this about school, you know?”

“Trust me, I know. I was the one that was so focused on sports I barely passed with the C’s that kept me on the teams,” Dustin said, smiling. “You almost made it look easy.”

“That’s because it was,” I answered. “You just have to sit and pay attention. Sometimes take notes.”

“See! You make it look easy,” he said. “I bet if you just focus a little bit longer, it will all click.”

I looked at him, “You’re kidding, right?" I glanced up at with a small playful gleam in my eye. "It’s Chinese.”

Dustin laughed at me, “No, it’s Calculus.” He stood up, “You got this.”

*****

“FINALLY!” I shouted.

“You okay in there?” Sidney’s voice asked from the living room. The guys were still there, even though it was close to nine in the evening.

“Yea.” I walking out to join them. “Only took me five hours and half my notebook to figure out my Calc homework.” I stepped over Dustin’s feet and sat down between him and Sidney since Caesar was currently chowing down on his dog food.

“Oh, great, may I copy it?” Tony asked, immediately.

“Fuck no,” I answered.

“But Dru!” he pouted.

“Shouldn’t have skipped,” I answered simply. I turned my attention on the TV, which was playing a hockey game. “Whose playing?”

“Florida and New York,” Kris answered.

“Who are we rooting for?” I asked. I was still a little shaky on NHL rivalries.

“Florida.” It was a mutual agreement between all the men in the room, even Tony who wasn’t much a hockey fan himself.

“Go Florida,” I said, leaning back into the couch.

Everyone was pretty much focused on the game, when I felt Sidney’s arm wrap around my shoulders. He pulled me a little closer to him, “You going to be okay with me leaving this week?”

I nodded, “It’s what you do. If you are worried that I can’t handle it, don’t. It's not like you haven't left before.”

He just smiled at me.

“But if you need me, I’ll just be a phone call away,” I said smirking, allowing my cocky side to show a little.

“Stop flirting, please. I am sitting right here,” Dustin said, fake gagging next to me. This, of course, gained all the attention of the other guys in the room.

I just punched him in the shoulder for that. I didn’t want that kind of attention.

“Are you guys finally dating?” Tony asked.

I just ignored the question and continued to watch the hockey game. I could feel Sidney’s grip pull me closer and tuck me safely under his arm.

“Yes?” Geno said, more like a question.

The answer was inaudible. I didn’t hear Sidney say anything and I was bound and determined not to.

“FINALLY!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Thatmom and WhitneyGenevieve for commenting and to all those that subscribed and rec'ed <3 Love you guys!