Sequel: The Purest Love
Status: Active; Comments, please?

Twisted Riddles (of the Unsolved)

Chapter One: New Kids

I walk down the halls with little-to-no interest as the bell echoes through the bare halls, signaling that yet another day in this torture is finished. That’s when a girl with auburn hair, tan skin, thin figure, and the darkest blue eyes I’ve ever seen stepped in front of me, smirking as she saw my annoyed expression.

“Hey, I’m Alec.”

“Isn’t Alec a boy’s name?”

“It’s short for Alexandria. My mom has freaky choices for names, alright?” Alec rolls her eyes, giving me an irritated look over. “Ever call me Alexandria, and I’ll have to break that pretty face of yours.”

“Whatever.” I roll my eyes dismissively at her as I continue walking along on my way. Alec walks beside me, grumbling to herself. “Don’t you have somewhere to be?”

“Nope.”

“Well, go find somewhere.”

“Whatever. Hey, do they have any good sports here?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“What do you mean?”

“I don’t really care that much.”

“Then why are you head cheerleader?”

“Because James told me to.” I was shocked by my bluntness with her. “James is my boyfriend.”

“Oh. Cool. My boyfriend’s got detention.”

“What’s his name?”

“Josh. He’s thinking about joining the football team with Kevin.”

“Ha, good luck. James has been our star quarterback for two years.”

“You’d be shocked at how well we play.”

We? Are you part of those freak-new-kids?” I was shocked at how harsh my words sounded.

“Yeah, so? We’ve all just known each other for a really long time. And we’re not freaks.”

“Whatever. Just don’t cry when your boyfriend doesn’t make the cut.”

I make my way with ease through the now-too-crowded corridors, outside to the open and free air. Cheer practice honestly sucked. I hated cheerleading. Everyone was no different than the clique that I had so mistakenly surrounded myself with. If I could I would’ve been doing soccer, hanging around with a group similar to those new-kids.

We practice our stupid cheers as I plastered the smile onto my face. This was normal for me. Nobody knew it but me. Nobody knew that I hated being a cheerleader, or that I hated the clique of snobs I’m around.

Alright, I guess this is confession time. Well, I basically hate my life. The only good thing in my life: James. He’s all I had since I was little, so naturally I’d do anything to make him happy. That’s why I put up with all of it; why I paint a smile on and act like my life is utterly perfect.

Alec smirks as she sees me, continuing to talk to two other girls as they passed. One of them looked to be her twin, as the other looked too much like her to just be coincidence. Must be her sister.

Kendall bounces right in front of me, grinning huge while managing to scare me half to death. “Che diavolo, Kendall?!” (What the hell, Kendall?!) I yell angrily, glaring.

Ciao, Katherine! Mi spiace per lo spavento.” (Hello, Katherine! Sorry about the scare.) Kendall says cheerfully, continuing with her grinning. I grin back at her. Nobody else I had ever met spoke perfect Italian like myself. “So, whatcha doin’?”

“Nothing but practice.” I roll my eyes, holding up my pom-poms to show her.

“Oh, cool! I always wanted to be a cheerleader. Can I join you?”

“Get lost, loser,” one of the Bitches says, rolling her eyes at her.

“It’s just practice,” I snap angrily, glaring at her, “If you don’t like it, then get lost, Bitch.”

“Thanks.” Kendall grins at me, picking up a set of pom-poms and following my lead like everyone else.

ღ ♠ ♥ ♠ ღ

I had to wait and watch the football tryouts, just like every year. James always made star quarterback, but I always cheered him on. He ran by the fence every chance he got to kiss me “for good luck.” Yep, James believes I’m his lucky charm. Ha, as if.

“I think I’m in again,” James says, grinning that boyish grin that always reminded me of why I love him.

“Of course, you’re always in!” I say, giving his lips a quick peck before the coach called him back.

“Who’s that?” Kendall asks, hopping down the stands beside me.

“My boyfriend, James.”

“Oh.” Kendall looks out on the field, grinning back at me. “Kevin speaks Italian, too.”

“What?” I ask, raising an eyebrow.

“Kevin. He’s wearing the number thirteen green jersey. He’s kicking James’ butt.”

I roll my eyes, looking out to try and spot him. Sure enough, James’ butt was being kicked. “Who is that?”

“Like I said, Kevin. He’s my … umm … friend.”

“He’s pretty good.”

Sì,” Kendall says, grinning, “He’s played against tougher opponents, though.”

“I bet. James is planning on getting drafted for college.”

“Kevin’s played against actual college football players. Kicked their butts, I hear.”

“Cool,” I say, grinning at her, “But, why are you telling me?”

“James isn’t right for yah, Kat.”

“How would you know? We met, what? Some five hours ago? You don’t know the first thing about me!” I stomp away angrily, sitting on the ice-cold bench. I wasn’t about to let Kendall into my life just like that. Besides, what did she know? James is all I had, all I have — he’ll probably be all I’ll ever have for the rest of my life. Which is just fine with me.