‹ Prequel: The Square Root

Endlessly

Imagine...

~~ Ryan POV ~~

I heard a series of gasps around, making me shake my head. Tristan looked back at me wide eyed. “We should talk,” he said and dismissed everybody.

When we were alone, I started to speak. “I didn’t mean for any of this to harm her, in any way or form.”

He scoffed. “You really would’ve thought that it wouldn’t affect her in any way?” he asked me – deathly calmly.

I shook my head. “You don’t know the whole story,” I said to him.

“Oh, enlighten me,” he said standing straight and looked right at me. We were the same height, so there was no problem in that.

I shook my head. “Let me explain to her, it would just be wrong if I explain the whole situation to you first,” I said.

“Fine, but if you mess this up, you’ll deserve a lot more than a bloody lip,” he growled at me and made his way into the hospital. I followed him with my head down and ran my fingers through my hair repeatedly. We got to the room and my sister immediately started cleaning up my face.

“What were you thinking of showing up here, huh Jay?’ she whispered at me while everyone was deep into their own conversations. Probably about how they’re going to kill me. I grimaced at that though. “Jay! Are you even listening to me?!” my sister snapped at me.

“Yeah, sorry,” I mumbled.

“You’re so lucky that Tristan didn’t kill you,” she shook her head.

I sighed, and she shook her head one more time, giving me a sympathetic smile. She stood up to go to the bathroom in the room and I made my way over to where Hazelyn’s body was laying down. Everyone looked up at me, and got out of my way, sitting at the back of the room, continuing their conversations. I sat down on the chair next to Hazelyn and took her hand.

“You messed up big time man,” Luke said shaking his head at me, with his hand on my shoulder. “She’s one hell of a girl, and I don’t know why you would do such a thing,” he mumbled.

“Mitrani!” Scotty hissed from the back. Luke gave me an awkward smile and made his way back to them.

I just sat there, resting my elbow on the bed, and my jaw on my hand while my other hand held onto Hazelyn’s. I was there for a couple hours until she finally awakened. Well, she groaned, making me squeeze her hand more. Everyone rushed over and surrounded her bed, staring her down like hawks.

“Hazelyn?” Samantha croaked. I saw Hazelyn raise her left eyebrow, making me chuckle internally. She opened her lids and opened her hazel orbs that were more brown than green at the moment.

“Water please?” I heard her voice. Everyone started rushing around, and in a blink of an eye, she was already gulping down a bottle. “Why am I here?” she asked.

“You kind of passed out,” Luke said scratching the back of his head.

“Why?” she asked confused. I think she didn’t notice me, so I cleared my throat. “Hi,” she choked out after awhile.

“We’ll leave you two to talk,” Tristan muttered, and everyone started rushing out of the room. Do I talk to her? Do I tell her? Should I?

“Wow, great brother I have,” she muttered.

“Yeah, he can throw great punches too,” I said, making her head snap towards me. She must’ve seen the damage, and I saw her eyes soften, but it was gone as fast as it had appeared.

“Why are you here?” she asked tiredly.

“The doctor said you had a shortage of oxygen in your brain, due to some blood loss. They recommended blood transfusion, but I know how you felt about that, so I asked them if it was severe. They said it wasn’t and you’d recover from it within 24 hours with some iron pills,” I just said, avoiding the question.

“Is that it?” she asked irritatedly.

I looked up at her, and contemplated to tell her.

Tell her!

It’s not the right time!

Then when is?!

I felt like I had my own mini-angel and mini-devil arguing about what I should’ve done. The angel telling me to tell her, and the devil arguing. I opened my mouth to speak, but at the last minute - I decided to listen to the dumb part of me, and quickly closed it, walking out without another word.

I quickly made my way to the car and sat in there, mentally slapping for not telling her. I groaned and was tempted to smack my head through the windshield. “Why the fuck are you so fucking dumb?!” I asked myself, smacking my steering wheel in frustration.

Tristan’s seriously going to kill me now.

~/~/~/~/~


It’s been a week, and surprisingly, Tristan hasn’t showed up on my front door to deform my face. My door to my room opened while I was finishing a report for the recent sales for the stores. I recently took in five more branches of Abercrombie and 2 branches of Hollister in the area.

“I’m busy Jase,” I grunted, my back turned towards the door.

“You and I need to have a little talk,” I heard Tristan’s voice. I grimaced. I spoke too soon. I then spun my chair to face him and raised an eyebrow. “You have five minutes to talk before I truly make permanent damage to that priced possession of yours,” he growled. I looked down and looked back at him, which he rolled his eyes at me. “Not that,” he mumbled. Oh my face. I held in a chuckle, and I could tell he was too. “Talk,” he commanded as he made his way to my couch and made himself comfortable.

“Where do I start?” I asked more to myself than him.

“Uhm, maybe the part where you left?” he suggested.

I began to tell him the story of what happened. I mean, if I wanted to make things right, then I’m gonna need help from the person that was closest to Hazelyn at the moment. I explained to him about the trip, about Audrey, about me leaving, about the hospital, about everything, leaving no detail out.

“You messed up big time, bro,” he said shaking his head at me. I could tell he wasn’t mad anymore. Maybe he was, for what I’ve done to his sister, but he understood why I did those things “But explain to me why you treated her like shit before that,” he said, crossing his arms again.

I sighed. “Well, to be honest, at first I got carried away by our little façade. The guys in the team didn’t approve of me liking and hitting on Hazelyn. Fitting in was never a problem for me, but it was at that point. They said that Hazelyn was drop dead gorgeous and shit, but she was a total geek, very unsociable and the type that would want a tied down relationship,” we both smirked at the irony. “Then when I realized my mistake, I realized that I wasn’t good enough for her. My ego was just shot down big time. By that time, I already lost her. When I was determined to win her back, Audrey got in the way and all this shit turned into holy flippin’ shit, a bigger pile of this crap,” I finished.

“You are fucked,” he said shaking his head.

“That’s why I need your help,” I decided to bring it up.

“For?”

“To make things right,” I said.

“I don’t know, bro. I mean, I would like to, but I’d also like for my sister to get the fuck over you and straighten herself out,” he said.

“C’mon bro, she means everything to me. If Audrey were to do something to me instead of her, I’d take it without a second thought. I’d give up my life for her. I know that you know exactly how I feel. I can’t live without her, and you know she’s a mess without me. She has a part of me, and I have a part of her. you know that. We’re like, a snowboard and bindings. I’m the snowboard, she’s the bindings. One is useless without the other.”

“I don’t know, Jay,” he said uneasily.

“To give you an idea of how I’m feeling,” I paused. “Imagine yourself without my sister, you can’t imagine how hurt you’d be right? Well, that’s how I feel right now. It hurts to fucking bad that I’m so numb of any type of feeling. Imagine if you fucked things up with her and you wanna fix things, wouldn’t you need my help?” I pleaded.

He looked at me uneasily. “I beg you, Tristan,” I said, sitting on my bed, and buried my face in my hands, hiding the tears that were running down my face. Ah, so much for the man code.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and I looked up wiping my face. He smiled sympathetically at me. “I now realize how much you love my sister,” he said. “Never have I met a guy that would break the man code for a girl,” he smirked. He then looked ahead and back at me. “There’s a thunderstorm a week from now. Everyone will be out of town,” he smiled at me. I raised an eyebrow at him, and he just laughed. “Good luck,” he called out before exiting my room.

I hope I don’t fuck this up.