A Title that could not be though of

Chapter One

Zim yawned, bored. Once again his teacher had gone off on a long winded tangent, rambling on about this and that, what was ‘moral’ and ‘correct’ in ‘today’s modern society’. He tuned the old man out, not that he ever listened to begin with, but this was a particular subject he couldn’t care less about, human’s rights and wrongs.
He had learned differently back home, practically the opposite, but that didn’t seem to make a difference when it came to this human school, full of stinking human sheep, ready to follow one another to their doom as long as everyone else would walk with them. Zim snorted in amusement at the thought of the human creatures single file, jumping one after the other off a cliff.
“Is there something you would like to share with us, Zim?” The nasal voice of his history teacher brought him back from his thoughts. Turning an unnaturally cerulean glare to the geezer, Zim replied in a sickly polite voice,
“No sir. Nothing at all sir. Shall I shine your shoes for you? Or perhaps some tea for your far overworked voice.” He smiled, barring his set of needle sharp teeth. In his too-many years on this planet, Zim had become quite the clever mind, even more so then he was to begin with, which was quite a lot if you asked him. If nothing else, his English was phenomenal. The man’s face turned a deep shade of red as he sputtered in incoherent rage. His little outburst earned Zim a week’s detention. His behavior thought, had not improved much from day one as an invader.
“I don’t know why you’re you easy on him Mr. Hilgendorf,” A smooth voice spoke out after Zim’s loud protests subsided, “A comment like that is beyond detention, it’s almost beyond human.” Zim’s attention flashed from the pink ‘detention’ slip crumpled in his fist, to the owner of the voice who sat across the room from him, but never far enough away. Dib. The swine had followed him as he ascended the scholastic ladder of grades, always managing to attend the same classes, never outgrowing his meddlesome nature.
Now he sat, his chin in his palm, eyes shining with pleasure that Zim had recognized his tease. And just like Dibs disgusting insides, his outsides hadn’t changed must with the times either. His midnight hair still tumbled about his face and behind him in the trademark scythe he always wore. His old glasses had been broken in a street fight between the two of them a few months back, and Dib had since been replaced by a new, slimmer pair that he took a liking to quickly. And now, as he peered at Zim over the rim of said glasses with bright amber eyes, he wanted to break this pair as well.
“I don’t recall anyone asking your opinion Dib, in fact, I don’t believe anyone asked you to continue to LIVE!” Dib thing always got That kind of a reaction out of him; a loud kind. The steady ‘tap taping’ of Mr. H’s shoe was the only sound while Zim stood in class pointing a gloved claw in Dibs direction, grinding his teeth. Dib just sat passively and smirked back at the riled Zim.
“I don’t want to issue another detention Mr. Dib, please keep your comments to yourself.” Zim was told to seat himself, but at hearing this he promptly turned and stated a sudden and urgent need to leave school.
“I will serve your unrightfully assigned detention when I feel the need to return.” He strode quickly across the room glancing sideways at the Dib thing before he exited, leaving behind a well confused teacher, and a grinning Dib. He hadn’t gotten underneath Zim’s sea green skin in such a way for a long time. It had been months in fact, and he just had to milk this one.
“I have to go to the bathroom.” Dib stated suddenly, standing to follow Zim out the door and back home. There would be hell to pay for cutting class tomorrow, but he couldn’t pass up the opportunity.
Dib jogged down the road the two of them always took home, and was surprised to find it empty. Surely Zim hadn’t out run him? He had only just left, he must be lurking somewhere nearby. So he continued, searching the dark alleyways for his lean form. Halfway to Zim’s home, he was still nowhere to be found; Dib got discouraged, where did he run of to?
“Zim! Hey Ziiiiiim!” He called out to the echoing streets hoping the Invader was listening somewhere from the shadows. “C’mon, don’t tell me you’re gonna be a sore loser?” He taunted, spinning about the sidewalk in a celebratory manor, holding out his arms and twirling about like a child. His long coat spread as he did so, encircling him in a halo of black. Suddenly, his fingertips brushed against something smooth, and the soft brush of fabric sounded. Dib stopped his whirling and looked upward to see Zim’s annoyed expression. A hand came up and grasped his wrist, holding Dibs palm to his chest where his fingers and been. Dib tried wriggling free, but to no avail, Zim had always been stronger. “where did you-” Dib was far too surprised to finish his question.
Zim had removed his raven wig, revealing his insect-like antennae, which twitched with Dibs every sound. They were lowered menacingly against his head.
“As much as I enjoy your public humiliation, I’m afraid there is no one around to see it.” His voice hummed threateningly, it had lost all its sarcastic charm it had held earlier that day. “And who is this, ‘sore loser?’ for I have not lost anything, and neither have you won.” And there it was. His earlier comment was a subtle reminder that no one was there to aid Dib if he needed it. Not than anyone would have done anything if they were around. He never was Mr. Popularity in school. He could feel the vibrations in his hand as the alien spoke, sending a shiver down his spine. Zim was rarely this cold and serious, it was frightening when he did, but he played it off as if it meant nothing. He smirked;
“What are you gonna do, huh?” He was afraid of the answer as he gawked up at the larger boy, whose body had become rigid with anger. He had grown at least a head taller than him, when had that happened? This must have been quite the accomplishment to the Irk. He held Zim at an arm’s length away, Who had a firm grip on his thin wrist. In the still quiet, Zim glared openly down at Dib with large ruby eyes, which narrowed as he contemplated his retort. Dib met the look with a steady one of his own, trying not to show his nervousness. The sun was setting now, tainting the sky a violent red, just like the colour of Zim’s eyes.
It became clear that Zim’s reply to his question was going to go unanswered. A physical reply was soon to be underway. Dib felt the steady beating of Zim’s heart beneath this shirt, a steady ‘thump, thump’ that didn’t match the wild thrashing of his own. The gentle cadence lulled away the fear and Dib became a bit more comfortable in Zim’s long-fingered grasp. Dib watched Zim stare him down, studying his face more than returning the look. The bright sunlight glittered in his eyes; reflecting nothing but what looked like his boiling emotions. This encounter was certainly meant to be a threat, but Zim’s expression turned from anger to confusion, and when he released Dib’s wrist, his hand fell away.
“Dib-thing?” He questioned looking closer at his face, “Are you ill?” This time it was Dib’s turn to be confused, and it was a few moments before he realized the heat in his face; he was blushing. He flew a few feet backwards, a hand covering his pink face.
“What the fuck?!” He shouted, wide eyes turning on Zim for the answer.
“What indeed.” Zim replied coolly taking a few long steps to close the space between them again, intending to inspect this new behavior.
“D-don’t come any closer, Zim!” He spat Zim’s name, trying to bring him back from that inquisitive look to his normal and much more welcome angry state. That didn’t stop him in the least and in seconds they we closer than they had been before.
“Does it frighten you, Dib-beast?” He peered down his nose at him, chest practically touching his. Dib shoved Zim away with all the power he could manage, sending him stumbling backwards onto the pavement.
“You don’t scare me!” He harped, face burning with embarrassment and rage. That had worked in bringing Zim back intoanger, and he scrambled to his feet and chasing the fleeing Dib in a blind fury.
“RETURN AND FACE MY WRATH YOU FILTH!” Zim hurtled down the sidewalk, intent on capturing Dib. It was much like the old days. This time, he was the one to be pursuing, and he was not going to let his prey escape so easily. His thoughts ran wild as he followed Dib to his neighborhood. Was a simple touch that terrifying to Dib?
Turning sharply down a particularly dark alleyway, Zim had cornered the Dib like the animal he was. He could hear his panting, the run had weakened him, Zim grinned.
Dib backed further into the alley, pressing his back against the brick wall. His breath was still heavy, and his nervous heart didn’t let him recover it. Zim’s dark silhouette loomed through the narrow opening; slowly making it’s way to him.
“Oh, vile human, why did you run? You always stay and fight the worthless battle against Zim.” He stepped closer, his eyes almost glowing in pride.
“I-I’m not in the mood right now Zim, just go home.” Suddenly, he was pushed back firmly against the wall. Zim snorted angrily,
“Don’t tell Zim what to do.” He snarled. His face was alarmingly close to Dib’s, making the boy squirm in his hold, Zim grinned wickedly. “So it does frighten you…” He confirmed loosening his grip on Dibs arms.
“What does?” Dib asked breathlessly.
“Closeness.” He said simply; “All those moments when I touch you,” he explained stroking his cheek with the back of his hand, “but I don’t hurt you.” Dib gasped,
“No, Zim, don’t do tha- ah!” Zim pushed a knee between Dibs legs, cutting off his trivial argument to continue his investigation. He ran a hand through the earthlings raven hair and chucked, watching the human redden under his touch.
Zim grinned, the look on Dibs face was absolutely priceless, and almost sweet how Zim could make him feel this way, whatever that was; wide eyes and trembling body. And what was that exactly? He leaned forward slowly, bringing his lips dangerously close to Dibs ear to whisper,
“What do you feel?” He inquired, feeling Dib shiver at the cool breath on his neck.
“I- I don’t…” He stuttered, unable to put words to the turmoil in his brain. Zim didn’t wait for the answer, moving from Dib’s ear to his mouth, pressing his lips against the others in an abrupt thought of experimentation. Dibs eyes grew wide, or wider, and his body stiffened further than it had been before. His first kiss, and with the moral enemy of Earth! And his reaction was totally out of character as he melted in the invader’s arms. He pushed forward forcefully, returning the kiss with an angry fervor, but Zim did not react the way he always did.
Why is he doing this?
Dib was amazed to find his rival’s kiss was much more gentle and caring than the invader had ever acted towards him, soothing his own frenzied retaliation with soft, calm movements. Zim watched Dib’s eyes close, and he closed his shortly after.
Zim’s hands moved slowly up his arms, clutching his shoulders. He smirked against Dib’s mouth, feeling the earthling respond. He pushed him back against the wall, pulling away in the process. He understood now.
He looked into Dib’s half-lidded eyes, and smiled,
“Oops,” He chuckled, running a thumb over Dib’s lower lip, “too far.” He released him then, turning away and making his way back down the sidewalk.
Dib watched him go; dead-panning at the sudden attack. He was disheveled inside and out, watching Zim’s back as he walked away. He slid down the wall until he could rest his head on his knees, pulling at his hair as he did so. What kind of trick had Zim pulled? Could he have brainwashed him? Maybe it was poison; he touched his lips, half-expecting to find blood running down his face. Nothing. He mentally kicked himself for his reaction, so pitifully submissive. He shook his head, trying to gain clarity, why God? Why him?
He waited until the sky grew starry before leaving the alley and walking home. Slipping through the back door and upstairs to his bedroom was a practice he had perfected years ago. Taking the steps two at a time, he hurried to his personal haven. He never had to worry about being caught, because no one was listening for his return.
His Father slept irregular hours, sometimes Dib could hear him bustling about in the kitchen in the dark hours of morning, or he would disappear entirely to take up a more nocturnal life in his lab. But whatever he was doing, it never included time for his children.
Gaz had a life of her own to attend to; her brother would only get in the way of whatever it was she did all day. To be absolutely truthful, Dib would rather not know. When he did see his sister, there exchanges were limited to a quick glance during breakfast and that would be the extent of family time. All meals was served to those who could cook it themselves, as well as housework and such, if you wanted to use it, clean it yourself.
So without the worry of parental reprimanding, Dib was free to do what he pleased, as long as it didn’t disturb anyone else. That night, his only concern was waking his baby sister from her deep state of hibernation, which was her sleep. He thought of Gaz like a little bear, a testy, violent, Goth bear. An act such as waking her in the bum-humping hours of the morning would have implemented a slow painful death at her tiny devil hands. So he crept through his door into his room, mentally kicking himself for thinking up the phrase ‘bum-humping’ and turned the lock on the doorknob. He was safe.
Sinking into his bed with a deep sigh, Dib pondered what Zim was trying to prove with that unexpected moment of intimacy. He thought about the kiss, a simple peck really, no tongue, but his first none the less. “What do you feel?” he had asked. What did he feel? Frightened was probably the answer Zim was hoping for, and he certainly was, but for a whole spectrum of different reasons. Yes, the rainbow of variation was bright with causes to be afraid, because Dib had enjoyed that kiss.
He rolled over in a vain attempt to sleep for the following day, mind still swimming in a sea of thoughts and desperate questions. Tomorrow was going to be fun.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Zim yawned, but this time he was definitely entertained; his yawn was all for the looks of being bored, all for Dib. The worm-baby had been steeling glances in his direction all day, a strange, curious look on his face. Was he thinking about yesterday? Of course he was. He watched the frazzled teen furiously write in his notebook, trying to keep occupied. Slowly his writing stopped, and his bright tawny eyes turned to him. Zim met his gaze and grinned; the other turned away quickly and began to scribble frantically once more.
But Zim was not as happy as he had wanted the earthling to believe. He had succeeded in thoroughly terrifying the boy, but had also gained another problem in the process. He had stayed up all night, lying awake in his sleeping quarters and thinking about the boy. Oh, how he had tried to keep his mind on the mission as it always was, but that night it had strayed into unfamiliar territory.
The feel of Dibs hair between his fingers and the charming rosy blush that coated his enemy’s cheeks; the look on the boy’s face when their bodies were pressed close, taste of his lips against his own. Why did he care? He tossed and turned, fighting the images that flashed across the screen of his thoughts, projecting his memories of him like a movie. Pink face, trembling lip, the now much smaller than he creature who was his enemy. This movie sucked. It was around 1:30 when Zim was finally able to give up on analyzing the situation and closed his eyes, little did he know that Dib hadn’t rested any more than he had, perhaps less.
Despite sitting in the front row, Dib managed to sleep most of the hour away at his desk. He was too drowsy to hear the lunch bell, but he was jarred awake when his eyes caught Zim standing, almost nervously at the front of his desk. Dib rubbed hid eyes,
“Zim?” It almost hurt to say his name. “What are yo-”
“Shut up.” Dib would be offended, but his tone sounded more like a ‘listen to me’ then a ‘stop talking’ kind of shut up. “Do you recall what happened between the two of us yesterday?” Dib couldn’t help but blush, and Zim ate it up -inwardly of course-.
“Y-yeah.” He couldn’t look the invader in the eye.
“No you don’t.” Dib’s brows furrowed.
“What? Why?”
“Because it didn’t happen.” Zim grabbed Dib’s chin and lifted his gaze up to his eyes. “Do you understand me Dib-thing?” Dib couldn’t speak, but he nodded his understanding. Zim straitened, folding his hands together behind his back.
“Good boy.” And he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
*sigh* Well, here it goes; first chapter story, AWAY!!!