Status: Hiatus.

Catastrophic Happenings

Chapter 14

“So why didn’t you bring up Ben before?” Austin asked at Azalea’s kitchen table the following Monday. The band had decided to take out Thai food and eat a late lunch before practice.

She shrugged as she searched the plastic bag for her container of food. “My relationship status never came up. Maybe you should have friended me on Facebook.”

Austin gave a sarcastic expression in response.

“How come we haven’t seen him around?” asked Sammy.

“His family took an extended trip to Europe. They’ve been there all summer. They mainly stayed at their place in Italy but visited a bunch of other countries there too. He just flew in that day you first met him.”

“Ben and his family spent half the summer in Italy?” Cade asked and then whistled steeply. “I can’t even imagine what that would cost.”

“No, you wouldn’t be able to, would you?” Azalea said smugly.

“I still can’t believe Rick went apeshit when he saw you guys.” Austin’s recollection got the entire room chuckling.

“Still too soon guys,” Rick said from his position on the countertop. “Are you sure Ben isn’t angry about it?”

Azalea shrugged as she placed a forkful of Pad Thai in her mouth. “I already told you that he wouldn’t hold a grudge. But if you don’t believe me, he should be down here in a few minutes.”

“He’s on his way over?” asked Austin.

She shook her head, “He’s already here. He’s upstairs taking a shower.”

Eyebrows went up in surprise.

“You mean he spent the night yesterday?” Cade asked with a mischievous smirk.

“Yes,” Azalea said slowly, wondering why it was taking them so long to understand the situation.

“Does your mom know?” Rick asked concerned.

“Oh my God,” Azalea exasperated. “What is with the third degree?” She made a mental checklist of the points she wanted before continuing. “Yes, Ben slept over here last night. In the same room as me. In my bed. With me also in it. Yes, my mom knows. It isn’t an uncommon occurrence for Ben and me to spend the night at each other’s houses.”

When the four remained silent she knew that she had to address the question she had wanted to avoid. “And no,” she sighed. “I’m technically not sexually active.”

Eyes opened wider as Azalea answered the question that had been at the back of their minds. But another arose as they analyzed her statement. What did she mean by “technically?”

“But you’re so young,” Rick nearly gasped.

Azalea’s face scrunched up at his words, “Oh, come on! I’m almost sixteen. And I’m still a virgin. Well,” Azalea’s shifting eyes indicated that she was working out a debate in her head. “I guess that depends on your definition of ‘virgin.;”

“How far have you gone?” Cade asked with curiosity. He was actually interested in this side of Azalea. He thought that she would be the biggest prude.

Azalea debated answering the question. She was always very open and honest, not normally hiding her personal life. But the question also invaded Ben’s privacy, who wasn’t as open of a book as she was with her sex life.

She turned around to check the stair case, making sure that Ben hadn’t come down yet. “I’ve pretty much done everything besides actual intercourse.”

Rick, Austin, and Sammy looked away after she answered. Though they didn’t try to stop her from answering, the truth made them feel uncomfortable. Rick especially.

Azalea’s mouth fell agape as she assessed their response. Cade was smug, Sammy squirmy. Austin was shocked and the look on Rick’s face was close to disappointment. “And I suppose all of you are about to tell me that you’re virgins and waiting for your wedding night to give it up?” she asked sarcastically.

Rick hopped off of the counter with a sigh, she was right. It wasn’t fair that he was holding her to a different standard than the boys. “I was eighteen,” Rick admitted. “Freshman year of college.”

“Sixteen,” Austin followed.

“To Rachel? “ Cade asked.

Azalea looked to Sammy after Austin shot Cade a glare. “That’s Austin’s ex,” Sammy explained nonchalantly. “We’re not supposed to talk about her.”

Though Azalea wanted to know more she nodded and didn’t press any further. Instead she turned to Cade, “And you?”

“Fourteen,” he said proudly, placing his hands behind his head and leaning back.

“I’m guessing it wasn’t love?” Azalea asked.

Cade snorted. “Not even.”

“Sammy?” Azalea turned to the red-haired boy expectantly. She saw the nervousness turn to relief as he noticed something behind her.

“Hi Ben!” Sammy called out enthusiastically, though they were relatively still strangers.

Azalea turned her head and was greeted with a peck on her check and arms draped over her sitting form.

“Hi everyone,” Ben said with a smile to the entire room.

Azalea raised an eyebrow and looked at each person directly, daring them to mention the conversation they were just having.

Rick was the first to speak up, “It’s good to see you again Ben.” He walks over to extend his hand.

Ben takes it and they shake hands. “I’m glad I have clothes on this time.”

Rick flustered at the comment, and although Azalea said that an apology wasn’t necessary, he decided to give one anyways. “I’m sorry about the other night. I was out of line.”

Ben shrugged, but thanked Rick for the apology. Afterwards, Azalea motioned for Ben to share her seat, followed by sharing her food.

Austin, never one to appreciate any type of PDA, decided to restart the conversation. “Anything new for the agenda today?” he asked Rick.

He nodded firmly, “I’ve decided that before the end of this practice we are going to have a song completed.”

Rick was met by looks of doubt and scoffs.

“Unless you guys want to keep only playing cover songs?” he asked teasingly.

The band rolled their eyes but knew that he was right. They weren’t going to get anywhere without original music.

“Is there even another sweet sixteen lined up?” Cade turned to Azalea.

She pulled out her phone and went to the calendar. “Will’s is this week, but he already has music lined up for his, so he wouldn’t be interested. And then the week after there’s actually two on that Friday, Kevin and Christiana’s, but Kevin actually Facebooked me yesterday wanting to talk about the band, so we’ll probably end up doing his. Nothing the following week. But then the week after there’s Flora’s on Thursday. Then that Saturday is Bethany’s, which is the one we really want to book. Her parents are throwing her this huge party at some hotel in D.C., and if I can convince her that she needs us for her party she’ll pay big.” Azalea paused to look up at everyone’s faces and was met in awe. She really did have the hook up. “Should I keep going or are we looking too far ahead here?”

“Aren’t we Miss Popular?” Sammy teased with a grin.

She nearly blushed at the compliment. “Not really. As long as you’re not hated, people from my school are fairly inclusive about their parties.”

“Azalea,” Rick addressed. “It’s great that you know about all these sweet sixteen’s that we should book. And I know that you’re our contact. But do you think that once there’s interest you can direct your friends to talk to me?”

“In other words, stop stealing his job,” Cade clarified.

“Oh, yeah sure. No problem. Girls stressing over party details are bitches anyways. And wouldn’t want to steal you from a paycheck well earn-“ Azalea stopped her train of thought and gave Rick a confused expression. “Actually, do we pay you for what you do?”

Austin chuckled, “It’s weird, isn’t it? For a not-so-popular band to have a full-time manager?”

Rick shrugged, “I get my cut. But I’ll spare you the longer story.”

Azalea nodded with content and the other three boys shared looks of relief to not have to endure Rick’s longer explanation that mainly focused on his aspirations and his mother’s disapproval.

They ate a few bites in silence. They Azalea suddenly remembered, “Do you guys mind if Ben sits in on our practice today?”

“You haven’t asked them yet?”

“I forgot?”

“I don’t want to intrude,” Ben said as he leaned forward in the chair. “But I didn’t catch any of your performance on Friday and this band is all that Azalea has been telling me about for the past few weeks.”

“Sure” Rick exclaimed. “It’s good timing too since it’d be good to have an outside opinion on our first song that will definitely be finished before today’s practice is over.” Rick gave the band members meaningful looks, not being so subtle in reminding them about his expectations. “You guys don’t mind, right?”

Cade gave a shrug of indifference and Sammy actually turned to Ben to give him a high-five of approval. Austin nodded. But there was a small clenching of jealousy in his stomach, making him realize that he greatly minded.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know where this story is going in my head, but as I write more chapters I realize that it's taking longer than expected to get there. I know that not too much is going on now and that this chapter wasn't very riveting, but I'm going to try harder to make the plot more exciting and speed the story along in the upcoming chapters.

As always, thank you for reading/commenting/subscribing =]