Status: Still working on it :D

I'm a Wizard?

Decisions

Chapter Two

I stopped to catch my breath before I walked into the dusty bookshop on the corner. I hope they have the series, I thought to myself.

“Can I help you?” I heard a voice ask from behind me. I jumped and turned around to see a hunched over old woman waiting for my reply.
“U-Um yes,” I replied, “I was wondering if you had the Harry Potter series anywhere in the store?” The lady seemed to pause in thought before she answered.
“Yes, I have a whole bookshelf full. Follow me please,” the lady said leading the way to the back of the shop.

Finally, after what seemed like ages, we got to the shelves in the back of the room. Suddenly, the lady stopped walking and I almost ran into her. I waited for her to say something, but all she did was point. I’m pretty sure my mouth fell open as I stared at all of the different copies of each book and every spin off created.

“Please don’t mess up the shelves. It took me a long time to get them this way.”
“Okay ma’am, I won’t. Thank you.” With that she shuffled away.

I grabbed the first book, Harry Potter and the Sourcerer’s Stone, off the shelf. I turned the book over for the price.
“$15.00!” I said in disbelief. As I continued to flip over the books each was around that price ranging from $15.00-$20.00. After I had piled up all seven books plus Quidditch Throughout The Ages, Magical Beasts and Where to Find them, and The Tales of Beedle The Bard, I made my way to the front and plopped them all on the counter.

“Someone’s doing a bit of summer reading eh?” I heard the old woman laugh.
“Yes,” I replied laughing a bit myself.
“What’s with the sudden interest?”
“Well, it’s kind of unexplainable… ,” I said trying to reason out whether I should tell this old lady or not.
“Try me. Trust me honey, I’ve heard very strange things before.” I decided it was best not to tell anyone about this yet so I said something that was sort of true:
“Well, I just felt this calling. Because I’ve never read the series before and I wanted to accomplish something this summer other than saying I finished all of my summer work, you know?”
“Ah yes, you are one of those people who like to achieve! In the books you’ve got there, there are things called Houses and every person gets sorted into one depending on what type of person they are. I think you’d be a Ravenclaw!” As I processed this information, I realized that this was all real. What if Ravenclaw was where all of the stupid people went?! I thanked the lady about a hundred times for letting me go out with all of the books a few dollars short, and secured all of the books in the basket on the back of my bike.

Just as I was about to take the trail that lead up to the cottage, I saw my brother and father walking down the trail with shopping bags full of supplies. I turned and pedaled over to them.

“Father, James, where have you two been? Me and mom-”
“You mean your mom and you,” my dad corrected me. I rolled my eyes.
“Yes, mother and I have been wondering where you two have been! How long does it take to get to the hardware store and come back?” I looked at them expectantly waiting for a reply.

“Well… ,” James began. I followed his gaze to the chocolate stain on his t-shirt and looked at my dad like really-you-went-for-ice-cream-without-me? And he just shrugged and said,
“We were having some bonding time away from the house- don’t say you didn’t offer to go to the store to buy whatever that is in your basket just to get away.” Suddenly I gasped and remembered that we had to have a talk about my letter.

“Dad! We have to get home now! I got a letter in the mail and we have to talk about it now okay? Please hurry home! I’ll meet you there, okay? Hurry!” I said as I pedaled back towards the trail.

“MOM! FATHER AND JAMES ARE WALKING UP THE TRAIL NOW OKAY? THEY ARE ALMOST HERE! REMEMBER WE HAVE TO TALK ABOUT MY LETTER?” I asked as I stepped through the door.

I hung my key back on its ring and ran upstairs with the pile of books I bought. I sat down on my bed with the first book in hand. As I continued to read I realized that I had missed out on reading so many good books! I never thought I would enjoy reading books, especially those as big as the Harry Potter books, but now I realized that it was just another way to escape from everyday life and become part of another world.

By the time Dad and James got back, I was halfway through the second chapter; that’s how good the book was. I folded the corner of my page and ran downstairs with my letter in hand.

“It’s about time you two got back!” my mother said.
“Sorry hun’, we got carried away down there,” my dad replied kissing her on the cheek as a greeting.

“Dad, Mom, can we please talk about this now?” I asked holding up the letter.
“What’s this about a letter?” My dad said sounding confused.
“Oh, you’ll find out soon enough,” my mother said leading us into the dining room.

We all sat down around the table. My mother gestured for me to start. After I finished saying everything my mom looked at my dad and he said,
“If this is who she really is, and this is what she wants to be, then I’d say let her go. It’ll only get worse if she doesn’t know how to control her powers.”
“You mean to tell me that you aren’t even slightly disturbed by this news?” My mom asked disbelievingly.
“No, I think I remember hearing something about a weird uncle of mine who was said to have powers of some sort, so maybe it’s hereditary?” he said. I smiled at my dad. At least someone approves of me being a wizard. Wait, am I a wizard? Or am I a witch? I’m pretty sure I’m a witch. Oh well, I’ll find out later.

“So, can I go?” I asked.
“Are you sure you want to go? How do we know you’ll be safe in Europe?” My mother asked seeming flabbergasted.
“Yes, Mom, I’m sure. And, I’ll always be able to send you a message by owl or something! O-or I could just bring my laptop and send you an e-mail,” I added quickly seeing my mothers face turn pale as I said “owl”.
“Like I said, if you really want to go, then by all means I’m for it,” my dad said smiling again. “It’s all up to your mother of course,” he added. We all turned to her, waiting for her response.

“Well, if you really want to then I guess so-”
“Ohmigosh Mom thank you sooooooo much!” I screamed in excitement. I got up and hugged her.
“Don’t think because you don’t have to do your other school work it doesn’t mean that you are going to be helping out less around the house,” she said.
“But I do have homework, mother. I have to read the whole Harry Potter series and the three extra books I bought by the end of July, which is only a week away! I have to go to Europe by August so that I can get familiar with Britain and everything, and you know that,” I responded. I stood there still hugging her waiting for her response.
“Fine,” she sighed somewhat exasperatingly. I squealed in excitement again.
“But, we’re not telling anyone about this okay? If anyone asks me where you went I’m telling them that you’re studying abroad in a special program,” she said.
“Okay.”
“Well, what are you waiting for?! Get upstairs and read those books! I better not see you doing anything else!” She warned as I ran back upstairs. I felt like I was on top of the world, and no one could stop me! I think magic’s the best thing that ever happened to me!
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! What do you think so far? It's gunna' be a snow day tomorrow so maybe I'll get another chapter up? Who knows? Please comment and also, if you are a fan of My Chemical Romance or the store called Hot Topic, you could check out my other stories! I also have a few poems up but they don't have anything to do with Harry Potter or music! Thanks to my 3 fans so far and thank you to all of those in advance who read this obnoxiously long author's note!! -Gab