Status: Still working on it :D

I'm a Wizard?

Diagon Alley

Chapter Four

Wow. Just Wow. I’m in Europe!!! I said to myself trying to hold back my squeals of delight. I realized how foreign I looked as I passed by a reflective window. I had to get to the Leaky Cauldron, and if my calculations were correct it should be right around the corner. At first, I didn’t see it, but then I realized I was being such a Muggle. I took a deep breath and scanned the storefronts slowly and then I saw it. I walked in the door and everyone stopped talking and turned to look at me.

“It’s the girl from America!” I heard a witch whisper to her friend.
“Is that what she really looks like?” I heard someone say. I kept walking until I got to the front of the bar.

“Umm… Excuse me? Sir?” I said trying to catch the bar tender’s attention. He was turned around fixing someone else’s drink.
“What’ll you have?” He said turning around. He stopped and said, “You’re the girl in the paper. You’ve finally gotten America into Hogwarts. Congrats! I’m just letting you know, I’m not giving you not one thing with alcohol in it if that’s what you’re looking for.” I felt my cheeks grow red with embarrassment and anger.

“Thank you and no, I’m not here for a drink. I want to get into Diagon Alley, could you tell me where I have to go?” I said trying to make myself seem serious. The man chuckled at me and the rest of the bar snickered.

“Sure, I’ll show you. Although, you should know how to do this if you’ve read the books,” he said stepping out from behind the counter. “Right this way, Miss. America,” he said getting another round of laughter from the drunken crowd. He lead me to a side door then out into a court yard that was surrounded by a brick wall. He took out his wand and turned to me. I stumbled back a bit. He could easily bewitch me right now if he really wanted to, I thought to myself. He laughed again.

“I’m just showin’ ya’ how to get into Diagon Alley once you have your wand.”
“Okay.”
“So what you do is. You count three bricks up and then two across and then tap this one and then-” the man didn’t have to finish his sentence. The wall immediately started to re-arrange itself. When it was done there was a perfect archway leading to a road filled with witches and wizards enjoying the last month of summer.

“Thank you,” I said to the man curtly before walking out past the archway. Immediately I began to take in all of the sights. It looked nothing like the Diagon Alley in the movies. It looked better! I almost forgot that I needed to get to Gringotts so that I could pay to get a room for the rest of the summer.

****************************************************************************************************
To my great relief, no one else noticed me or paid me any attention as I made my way down the Alley. Finally, I reached Gringotts. I stepped inside and the cool air felt good on my skin. The place was empty except for the Goblins behind the desks. I took a deep breath and stepped forward to the nearest Goblin.

“Um, excuse me?” I asked tentatively. The Goblin looked up and the look on its face was absolutely horrible!
“Ah, the American girl!” It smiled nastily. “What can I assist you in today?”
“I-I would like to c-convert some money- if it’s n-not too much of a bother,” I stuttered.
“How much do you wish to convert?” he asked.
“All of this please,” I said unzipping my bag and heaving a sack full of money onto the counter. I had about $1,000 in cash from my parents, $200 from what was left of my stash, and $40 in nickels, dimes, quarters, and pennies. I saw the Goblin’s eyes go wide, then return to their normal beady shape.

“This will require more work than I thought. You don’t plan on taking all of your money in that sack with you to Hogwarts do you?”
“Well, now that you put it that way, no,” I replied. The Goblin sighed and said,
“While I convert this, go and register for a vault.” I nodded, picked up my two other bags, and walked over to another Goblin.

“Excuse me?”
“I have ears just like you, Muggle. I heard your conversation. Fill out this form,” he said passing me a rather thick roll of parchment, a large quill, and a bottle of ink, “and when you’re done with that everything should be in order.”
“Okay, thank you,” I said. I didn’t know where to sit, so I just sat down on the floor and spread out all of the papers. Writing with a quill is not as easy as it looks, I said to myself. Finally, after what seemed like forever, I finished the last page of the form and stood up.

“I’ll take you to your vault,” the Goblin said. I nodded and took my things with me.

The ride down was speedy and freezing, but I survived. The Goblin took out a key and walked toward a vault numbered 2398745. We must be really far underground, I said to myself as a draft passed us by. I shivered and walked forward towards the Goblin.

“I suggest you write your vault number down somewhere. You’re bound to forget it,” he said in a snobby voice. I nodded and took out a pen from my bag and wrote the number down on my hand. The Goblin turned the key and opened the door. It wasn’t much, but there was still a good amount of coins in my vault. I took five of each type of coin and pocketed the money. Suddenly, I realized that I had to buy all of my schoolbooks and robes tomorrow, and I didn’t feel like coming back here two days in a row. I turned to the Goblin,

“How much should I take out if I plan on buying school supplies tomorrow?”
“A lot more than that,” It snickered. I turned around before rolling my eyes at the Goblin’s rude reply. I took out the coins I had in my pocket and took a handful of each type of coin. I turned around to show the Goblin.
“Whatever you think will be enough,” he snickered again. I nodded, put everything into my bag, and zipped it up.

*Fast-Forward to after she leaves Gringotts*

The warm August air felt good on my freezing skin. It was around dinner time for me and I was starving. I went in to the nearest diner-looking place and sat down. I ordered a meal that seemed somewhat normal and ate it. I got up to pay and as the witch was giving me my change I asked,

“Do you know where I can stay for the night? I need some rest.”
“We have an inn right above us! Would you like to stay here?” She asked.
“Well, I’m not from around here and I need a place to stay for more than one night,” I said.
“That’s not a problem! We have a vacation special! Only 9 Galleons for a week!”
“Um, I’m not just going to be here for a week…”
“How long then?”
“Umm until school starts...” The lady gasped as if suddenly putting two and two together.
“You’re the girl from America! That’s why you want to go to bed at this hour! Oh, lovey, it’s not a problem! You can just help me down here in exchange for a room!”
“Really? Thank you so, so, so, so much!” I said yawning.
“Not a problem, dear. Let’s get these upstairs,” she said flicking her wand. Instantly, all of my bags were floating and following the lady up the stairs.

I thanked the lady one more time for collapsing onto the bed. Jet lag is not fun, I said to myself as I drifted off to sleep thinking about all of the new things I would learn and see this year.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment or Subscribe? :D