Sequel: A Burden

A Mistake

The Familiar Feeling of Abandonment

“He’s left, hasn’t he? He’s been talking about for ages… But I never thought he would actually go,” Frodo said sadly as he glanced around, resting his eyes on Gandalf’s back. Raina looked down and saw the ring by their feet.

“Gandalf?” Raina asked, as the old wizard turned around.

“Hmm?” he asked, resting his gaze on Raina’s hand holding the ring. “Bilbo’s ring. He’s gone to stay with the elves. He’s left you two Bag’s End…” he took out an envelope as Raina moved forward, wondering why it couldn’t have been her going to Rivendell. She deserved it, seeing as she had never met a single one of her kinsmen.

Raina dropped the ring into the envelope emotionlessly.

“… along with all his possessions. The ring is your now, Frodo. I think he wanted you to have it.” Raina didn’t care. She didn’t like the old ring, but it still drew her attention every time she saw it. And that scared her.

“Put it somewhere out of sight,” Gandalf said as he pressed the sealed envelope into Frodo’s hands.

Then the old wizard stood, taking his staff and hat.

“Where are you going?” Raina asked worriedly. He couldn’t be leaving yet, could he?

“There are some things that I must see to,” Gandalf said shortly, but Raina pressed on.

“What things?”

“Questions. Questions that must be answered.”

“But you’ve only just arrived!” Frodo said. “I don’t understand.” Raina was beginning to have a forgotten-yet familiar-feeling creep up her heart: the feeling of abandonment.

“Neither do I,” Gandalf said as he strode to the door.

“Keep it secret; keep it safe.”

Raina watched from the window as Gandalf left, leaving her alone once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
super duper short... and to the first person who subscribed to the story, I LOVE YOU!(: