The Bloody Masquerade

Chapter 25

I was pleased to see the car unmoved and unharmed by the side of the small quiet road once Alexis and I had reached the end of our quiet walk. Hart had kept his promise in keeping Eugene safe and, soon, he will fulfil his other promise of taking us to the Allaway house.

“What’s happening?” Eugene asked wearily as I shook him awake gently.

“Alexis’ pack is going to look after you for a couple of days while Alexis and I are away.” I said and helped him out.

He wobbled slightly but was caught by Alexis. “I can carry you if you want.”

Eugene shook his head slowly. “I’ll walk.” He replied stubbornly.

Alexis shrugged his shoulders but gripped Eugene’s hand and gently tugged him away from the car and towards the woods.

“How’d the introduction go?” Hart asked softly.

“It could’ve gone better but we got the go ahead. As soon as Eugene is handed over to Alexis’s mother, we can go.”

I could just about see Hart’s thick eyebrows rise underneath his insane fringe. “I thought you would rest first. It isn’t long until sunrise.”

“Murray won’t have us so we have to leave. Besides, I think I feel better if we get this investigation over and done with quickly. I don’t like leaving Eugene on his own at the moment.” I muttered.

Hart shrugged in silent reply, accepting what I felt without question. The walk back to the house became increasingly unnerving for me. With the werewolves circling us a little bit more intently then before, it made me a little jumpy. I knew wolves didn’t like strangers but these ones were not your average wolf. Most, I sensed, were just looking for a fight. They didn’t care much for the welfare of the pack.

Jack was waiting outside, no doubt having sensed his brother’s approach. He opened the door and indicated for us to get in quickly. After a quick nod to Alexis and establishing he had regained his normal calm temper, he guided us deep into the house until we found a freshly polished door. He didn’t knock, simply entered and shouted a welcome to whoever dwelled within.

I crept in slowly behind Alexis and gazed about the dimly lit room curiously. There were numerous chairs and sofas in here and even more doors in the walls, one of which was open and revealing a simple bedroom. I had only just realised that Jack had disappeared when one of the doors opened and he stepped out, holding the hand of an elderly woman. Nora was a slight woman, with thick black hair that had wisps of silver trailing in it. She appeared healthy, a little tired but strong by the kind bright eyes that stared at us. Alexis however stiffened and instantly I could tell something was wrong.

“My darling boy.” The woman, who I decided was Nora, said joyfully and reached out to him.

“Mother. You’re aging.” Alexis stammered as he stepped forward and enveloped the tall woman.

She pushed him away lightly and held his face as she observed him hard. “I know, I know.” She muttered under her breath.

“Why? You’re only in your late hundreds.” Alexis pressed in an attempt to grasp what had happened to her.

Nora’s eyes stopped roaming and focused on his firmly. “Werewolves age when they near the end of their life or their tether and will. Seeing what your father has done to this pack, what he wanted to do with Elgar and what he has done to his own sons, I realised I had no influence over your father. My mate holds no love for me anymore, only lust for power. When I realised this, something in me died.” Nora said matter-of-factly. Alexis simply remained silent and that was enough to say he agreed. She patted his cheek lightly and smiled warmly. “I have been aging for a few years now and I still have a couple of centuries left. I will still be around to try and get this pack into order. I hope it does before I finally die.”

“I am sorry.” Alexis said softly.

“There is no need.” Nora said, smiling and turned her attention onto myself as I held Eugene’s hand tightly. “This is the boy?”

“Yes, this is Eugene. Father has said the pack will guard him while we can’t.”

“And guard only he will. I will take care of him.” Nora said warmly and shuffled forward to crouch down in front of him. “Eugene, I am Nora. Mother of Alexis. You shall be in my care for a little while until your family comes back.”

Eugene’s grip tightened considerably and he looked up at me in confusion. “Where are you going Augusta?”

“Just to go do some digging. It’s dangerous though so I can’t take you with me. If I could, you know I would.” I said firmly. “You’ll be safe with Nora.” I hoped anyway. So far she appeared reliable.

“Only for a while Eugene. You’ll be safe here and I am sure our youngest would enjoy some new company.” Nora said soothingly.

Eugene was hesitating which was unlike him. Normally he would welcome new people with enthusiastic arms, much like he had done with Martha. It could be down to exhaustion and what had happened only the day before but he worried me all the same. I slipped my hand out of his and firmly pushed him closer to Nora.

“I won’t be gone for long, Eugene.” I said as soothingly as I would allow.

Eugene stared up at me before he nodded his head in defeat. “Can I go sleep somewhere?” He asked in a tiny voice.

Nora nodded enthusiastically and quickly told Alexis to take him to her room. He could sleep in her bed. Alexis took Eugene’s outstretched hand and guided him into the room Nora had exited from.

Instantly, Nora rounded on me and inhaled deeply. “You’re a witch.” She stated simply.

“I know.”

“Unclaimed too. You’ve made a deal, haven’t you? It’s the only way to get Murray on your side these days.”

“I will do what he wants of me in return for guarding Eugene.” I confirmed.

Nora clicked her tongue then sighed heavily. “You might come to regret that contract.”

“I do what I must to keep Eugene safe.” I said defensively, folding my arms firmly.

“Murray has many enemies though, some only one sided. He may wish to just eradicate a potential threat or expand his lands, not just protect the pack.” She paused. “Not that defending his own blood seems to be a concern of his anymore. The original members stand only at a number of seven now. Most too young to fight. Jack and his cousin, Keith, are the only true wolves we have. The rest have fallen needlessly in battle or he has struck them down in a fight for dominance.” She sniffed. “Alexis only managed to survive because I got physically involved. Murrary still felt something back then. When Elgar vanished, so did any compassion he had. I assume you have met Elgar? How is he?”

I hesitated briefly as I remembered the torn expression he had before he ran after Badger. “He was well.” I said simply.

Nora smiled so broadly her eyes became small black crescents. “I am pleased. While I can sense he is still alive, I cannot feel his emotions or wellbeing. He is too far away.”

I was silently pleased she couldn’t. No doubt she would be going mad from worry at the current anguish Elgar was probably feeling. I just hoped the boy was keeping his cool with Badger’s imminent madness and stopping him from turning into a murderous monster. Once this was over, I decided I would go back to him. I needed to make sure Elgar was safe.

“Eugene’s asleep.” Alexis said as he silently entered the room.

“Good, then I suggest you leave now. The longer you’re away from him while he’s awake, the more agitated he’ll become.” Nora said firmly then ushered them out of the room. “Jack and Keith will ensure the boy remains guarded from the false wolves. I will make sure Eugene is happy.” She said as she guided them back to the entrance of the house.

I noticed that the false wolves treated Nora differently. While they seemed to glower and challenge Jack, they slunk away and hid from Nora. Obviously she had shown she was the stronger than them and ruled this pack on, supposedly, equal terms to Murray. She smoothly pushed the door open then closed it hard behind her once we had stepped outside. With soft eyes staring at Alexis, she reached up to stroke his face.

“You’re a good man Alexis, so you be safe. I have lost too many members of this Pack. I don’t want to lose you too.” She said sadly.

“I have survived so far.” Alexis told her warmly. “Augusta will keep me safe, and I her. Just look after Eugene. We will be back for him once we have gathered some answers.”

“I hope you find them, whatever they are.” Nora said. “Once this pack has regained the normality it once had, I will call you again. You will have a home here once your father is gone.”

Alarm spread over Alexis’s face. “You’re not planning on-“

“No.” Nora laughed. “I can’t harm him. He is my mate, no matter how much I can deny that. I still remember the old Murray, the Murray I accepted. No, I am waiting for someone to deal with. To challenge and beat Murray fairly.”

I automatically thought of Elgar. The only one strong enough to fight Murray now was the teenaged Grey Back. He was still too young though. It would be another few years before he would be ready both physically and emotionally to take down his uncle. In a few years however, the last seven members could be cut down to one.

“A witch. Have you tried hiring an unclaimed?” I asked.

“This is Pack business and a fight among ourselves. We will deal with it alone.” Nora said softly then smiled brightly. “Now leave. I shall expect to see you in no more than two days.”

Alexis kissed her quickly on the forehead. “I be as quick as possible.”

She simply smiled up at him and waved slightly as he took my wrist in his large hand and tugged me after him. My heart raced a little at the contact. Alexis hadn’t touched me needlessly for the last couple of days, in fact he had always seemed to stop himself. It only just occurred to me then how much a missed his silly affection actions. Hart lumbered after us silently like a giant shadow and remained so until we broke into the woodland.

“It takes about three hours to get to the Allaway house.” Hart said softly in his deep voice.

“The sun would’ve risen by then.” I replied a little too sharply.

“I will block the windows so the light won’t hurt you. I am sure the vampire will let us keep you inside her house until we leave at sundown.” Hart said.

I shrugged. “If not, just leave me in the car.”

Hart hummed in agreement and loped ahead to the car to get the engine running.

“Eugene will be fine, won’t he?” I asked Alexis, not bothering to hide my worried tone.

“With my mother he will be. She is strong and father won’t raise a hand to her. He never has done, even when he was trying to prevent me from taking Elgar away.”

I nodded slowly and rubbed my leather covered neck as I stood outside the car, listening to the sputtering of the engine. “Elgar, I want to check on him once Eugene is safe. I don’t want to leave him in that mess.”

Alexis’s grip on my hand suddenly tightened softly and his thumb stroked the back of my hand lightly. I hesitated before I glanced up and saw such warmth in his face I found it difficult to stop the heat rising to my cheeks. My reaction however seemed to alert him. His face stiffened then he snatched his hand away, as if he only just realised what he was doing.

“We will go to him, yes.” He stammered roughly then got into the front seat of the car quickly, avoiding my confused and hurt gaze.

“Augusta, I have put some material over the windows. That should block out some of the light for you.” Hart announced and forcing my focus away from Alexis.

I smiled hesitantly. “Thank you.”

Hart nodded and ducked into the car. I followed suit and shuffled across so I was behind Hart’s seat and had a clear a view I could get of Alexis. He was confusing me now. It seemed like he didn’t want me to show affection towards him now that I was for the first time in years. He was such a caring and affectionate man and I thought he would love the idea of me actually accepting him. Yet he seemed to want to hold me at a distance. I didn’t get it. Not that it should bother me, I snarled at myself. I want this. I want him away from me. So swallow what you chewed and be happy. It was very bitter though, this wish coming true.

I dozed slightly in the car before the sun finally forced me into my coma. I don’t know when we got there but I did vaguely remember the car stopping, the pain of the sun on me and a child’s voice demanding answers. After that, I just slept until the sun sunk beneath the skyline again, marking the start of the hunt in the Allaway house.