Status: Active

Rest

The Cafeteria

10 year old Billie Joe Armstrong was sitting in the cafeteria at his school trying not to let the tears fall. He had just lost his father. The one person in the whole world that meant everything to him.
He was just staring at his food when he felt a presence. He looked up to see a boy around his age, looking very nervous, holding a tray of food.
"H-hi," he stammered out, looking from side to side very nervously.
Billie Joe sniffed. "Hi."
The boy seemed to relax a little bit. "Can I sit here?"
Billie didn't know why, but he found himself nodding his head, allowing the boy to sit down.
"So um....what's your name?" the boy asked, picking up a french fry and shoving it in his mouth.
"Billie Joe," Billie muttered, crossing his arms in front of his chest and looking at the table.
"It's good to meet you Billie Joe. My names Mike," the boy, Mike, smiled.
Billie didn't know why, but he could feel himself wanting to smile along with Mike. He looked up and his breath caught in his throat. he didn't bother to take a good look at Mike when he first sat down. But now that he had, he couldn't look away.
Mike had shaggy, dark brown hair. He was wearing a Black Sabbath t-shirt with ripped blue jeans. And when Billie looked into his eyes, he could swear that he's never seen anything bluer.
"Hey, Billie Joe. Are you okay?" Mike asked.
Billie blinked his eyes a few times, not realising that he was staring and glared a bit.
"Don't call me Billie Joe. I hate to be called by my full name."
"Oh. I'm sorry. Can I call you Billie then?" Mike asked, worry running through his eyes.
Billie's expression softened a bit at that. He nodded.
Mike smiled. "Can I ask you something?"
Billie nodded.
"Why were you looking so sad when I came over here?"
Billie looked away and felt the sting of tears behind his eyes again.
"I'm sorry," Mike whispered, seeing Billie's discomfert.
Billie shook his head. "It's okay." He wiped the tears from his eyes. "I....ah....I just lost my dad about a month ago."
Mike couldn't stop himself, he walked to the other side of the table and scooped Billie in a hug. "I'm sorry."
Billie hugged back, burring his face in Mike's shoulder. He couldn't help but notice the way Mike smelled. It was of a cologne that he was way too young to wear and underneath that, he could tell that that smell was of Mike himself.
Mike pulled away, wiping away the tears from Billie's face that he didn't even know had fallen.
"Hey lets play 20 questions to help you get your mind off this for a while huh?"
Billie nodded. He really didn't wanna break down in front of this boy he had just met.
Mike settled himself right next to Billie and started.
"How old are you?"
"I'm 10," Billie said.
"Me too." Mike smiled. "Your turn."
"Um....are you new here?"
Mike nodded. "Yeah we just moved here a week ago. I couldn't go to school until my stuff from my last school was sent here. At least that's what Mom kept saying. Do you like music?"
Billie Joe perked up a little at that. "Yeah. I love music. I have a guitar at home. His name is Blue. I also play the piano."
Mike's smile brightened. "I play guitar too. I don't really know how to play it well, but I try."
The boys forgot all about their game and just continued to talk about music.
When the bell rang, signaling lunch was over, they didn't wanna leave.
"Hey, Mike," Billie started, as Mike said goodbye and started to walk away. He turned around.
"Since you're new, I guess you need someone to show you around the school a bit huh?"
Mike smiled. "Are you asking me to be your friend?"
Billie nodded. "Yeah kinda."
Mike laughed and Billie smiled wider.
"I'd like that Billie."
And with that, the two boys walked together to their next class.