She Deserves Better.

Snape's childhood.

Alexis opened her eyes. She was so exhausted and was still weak that she slept till the late afternoon. Severus was next to her, marking some essays.

"Had a good rest?" Severus said as he put the pile of essays, on the table. Alexis was looking much healthier after the sleep. 

Alexis nodded. "Sev, Harry was her just now." Severus froze a little and Alexis sighed. "Don't worry. I didn't say anything to him." 

Severus took her hand. "I know it's hard. We can only hope for the best." Severus said, not knowing how to comfort her. "When you were not awake last night, Dumbledore let me see your memories." he said, trying to change the subject.

Alexis's eyes grew bigger and her cheeks turned red. "You did?" 

Severus smirked an nodded. He brushed a hair across her face. "I didn't know someone had a crush on me." he teased, kissing her cheek. 

Alexis looked away, letting her hair cover her face. "Yeah, well. You were too busy trying to get someone else's attention." she mumbled.

Severua sighed as he moved closer to her, pushing her hair away. "Alexis, I love you. Nobody else. You were the only person who gave me a chance when nobody else would. I'm yours, Alex."

Alexis looked up at him and smile as she sat up.  "Guess what? I'm pregnant. We're going to have a baby." 

Severus froze, he looked surprised and sank on the chair. "We're going to have a baby?" He repeated slowly. Alexis looked at him, anxious, not knowing how he was really going to react.

Then he broke into a smile. "We're going to have a baby!" he kissed the laughing Alexis. "How many months?"

"One month. I just found out this morning. That should explain my strange habits. I thought I was just fat!"

"We're going to have to brew you a health potion. For you and the baby! And you'll have to eat more! You have to eat for two!" 

Alexis laughed at Severus's excitement. "Dear, calm down. Everything's going to be fine!" 

"I'm going to be a father!" he whispered as he looked at her, surprised and happy. 

"Yes you are. It's so nice to see you excited. I'm so happy I got to marry you." Alexis said as she kissed his nose. 

"No. I'm lucky to marry you." he smiled. "I don't know what you see in me."

Alexis laughed. "Other than your undeniable charm, your intelligence, your wit and your good looks, I don't know." she said dryly.
*********************************
Witihin three days, Alexis got back teaching, much to the disapprove of Pomprey and Severus. The news of Alexis's pregnancy was though, kept a secret among those who knew, Alexis said it was not the right time yet. She manage to hide her stomach with oversized robes.

Severus had requested that Alexis stay out of the Death Eater business but Alexis refused. They agreed to keep it away from the Dark Lord until they thought it was the right time to. 

Alexis and Severus were reaching Dumbledore the news. Severus placed his arm around her waist as he let her sit.

"Ah, Severus, Alexis. How are you Alex?" Dumbledore gave her a kind smile.

"I'm well, thank you." Alexis said, smiling back at him. "Actually, we have news." she looked at Severus who nodded. "I just found out I'm expecting!" she said as she placed her hand over her slightly grown tummy.

Dumbledore broke into a wide smile. "Ah! Congratulations! It was about time! How many months?"

"About two." Alexis replied. And the three of them started talking about the baby's plans and discussed if the dark mark would ever affect her unborn child which Dumbledore assured it won't. Alexis realised she had forgotten to return some essays and excused herself.

After heading to the Slytherin common room, Alexis went to the Gryffindor common room, panting a little bit. Severus would not be happy seeing her walk around. 

She went in and saw Harry at the corner with Ron and Hermione. Some of the students were gawking at her.  "Hello guys. Here are your essays. Not too bad written." she grinned." What is that?" she asked as she saw Harry holding an old piece of paper with a moving photograph.

Alexis bend her head down a little. She read the caption printed underneath a picture of a girl.  "Eileen Prince, Captain
of the Hogwarts Gobstones Team." 

"Eileen Prince." she whispered to herself. Harry looked at her, and passed the paper to Alexis who held it gingerly, like it was made of diamonds, running her hand across the picture. 
She had never seen a picture of her mother-in-law. Severus was not comfortable talking about his parents. 

"Do you know her?" Harry asked, curious.

Alexis quickly shook her head. "No," she lied. "Never seen her." she quickly passed the paper back to Harry and left.

When she reached the room, Severus was there, waiting for her. "Hmph. You are finally back." Severus said as Alexis plopped herself on his lap. He slithered his arms around her, rubbing her tummy. "I hope you didn't get yourself or the baby tired from all the walking." 

Alexis laughed as she kissed his cheek. 
"Silly man. A little walk won't hurt our baby." She got up and laid on the bed, her head resting on his lap. He reluctantly passed her a picture of his parents he wanted to see. Alexis stared at it before putting it on the table next to her.

Severus seemed to be lost in thoughts. "Sev? You alright?" she asked, concerned.

Severus gave her a small smile. "I was just thinking about.. Never mind." 

Alexis sat up. "About what Sev?" she stared at him. "You know I can read your mind." 

Severus let out a laugh. "I was thinking of my parents." he said softly. 

"Oh Sev." Alexis said as she held his hand. She knew Severus's dad had been abusive, and his mother never had a chance to raise him well, and at times was abusive to him.

Alexis had visited Severus once with Lily. Severus was rather ashamed to meet Alexis in his old, large strange clothes but Alexis did not mind, she enjoyed being with him.

Severus closed his eyes and started talking about his childhood. How his dad always screamed at him. How he would hit Severus when he was angry. He remembered how his parents would argue and he would sit in a corner and cry. He remembered how his father would hit his mother and she would vent out her anger on him. She would not mean it, and would make it up to Severus, but he still felt upset. He never had a proper family or childhood and was neglected. They were too poor to buy new clothes and he would wear his father's old clothes and he would often get teased. He remembered the day his father and mother passed away and yet he felt nothing.

Alexis did not say anything, but would let Severus know she was listening by occasionally stroking his hair or kissing his hand and neck. By the end of his story, Alexis was gripping him tightly, as if her life depended on him. The confident, strong Severus Tobias Snape that every student feared, was crying, right in front of his wife. Alexis found herself swallowing a sob as she watched her husband.

Alexis burried her face against his neck. She knew exactly what he was thinking. "You're going to be a good father, Severus." she said as she wiped his tears away. She was the strong one now.

Severus smiled. "You think so?"

"I know so." Alexis replied as she kissed him softly on his lips, just enough to give Severus hope.