Status: Brand new.

I've Waited Here for You Everlong

Tossing And Turning

Sleep didn’t come easy to Bailey. She spent most of her night tossing and turning thinking about Jack. It still bothered her that they used to be as close as two people could get and now the sight of her could make Jack cringe. She heard Melissa come in hours ago. Melissa even came in to check on Bailey, but she just pretended as if she was sleeping to avoid the millions of questions she was going to ask.

Glancing at the clock on her nightstand, she noticed she had an hour to get ready for work. Obviously it was going to be a long day due to the lack of sleep, but it wasn’t the first time she’s pulled it off. She quickly showered, dressed and took off towards the diner. She knew she’d get a free meal if she got there early enough. Mr. Diggins knew the position she was in and would never allow her to go hungry.

The diner was relatively empty. Off to the side sat two old men enjoying a cup of coffee each. A trucker sat at the diner’s ‘bar’ eating a huge stack of pancakes. Bailey noticed the mess he was making and was already dreading cleaning it up. She sat a few stools down from the trucker and rang the bell that was next to the register. Immediately a head popped up from the kitchen.

“Can I help you?” The man drawled in his thick Spanish accent.

“It’s just me Jo. You think you can fix me up something to eat.” Bailey asked sweetly. Jo was the diner’s cook. He was always working and was never unhappy about it. Even pulling off 15-hour shifts, you would never see the man without a smile. It was a relief to Bailey to see someone like that.

“Of course, chica.” Jo smiled and started preparing the meal. “You look tired. Another long night?” He yelled out from the back.

“I guess you can say that, but you know me, I never sleep.” She answered, causing Jo to chuckle. The chimes on the door rang, signaling that a costumer had just entered. Bailey looked up at the clock. She still had twenty minutes before she had to start working so she paid the new costumer no mind.

“Is this seat taken?” A voice from behind her questioned.

“Nope.” Bailey waved off, still not bothering to look.

“Sweet.” The guy sat down on the stool right next to hers. Out of the corner of her eye she could see the blonde guy staring at her, but she refused to look his way. “Ya know, it hurts me that you don’t even recognize me. It hasn’t been that long.”

Bailey immediately turned toward the guy. “Oh my god! Alex?” Bailey grabbed the sunglasses off his face so she could take a better look.

“Whoa! You’re ruining my disguise!” Alex grabbed the sunglasses and put them back on his face.
“Your disguise? I’m pretty sure no one here is a fan of yours.” Bailey pointed around the diner.

Alex rolled his eyes. “Har har. I’m in disguise because I’m not suppose to be here.” He took the sunglasses off again and took a look over Bailey. “You look different.” He stated simply.
“Um, thanks? I guess? I can say the same for you. Who told you blonde was a good idea?” Bailey countered causing Alex to laugh.

“I haven’t seen you in forever and that’s how you greet me? I see nothing’s changed.” Alex laughed.

“A lot has changed. I’m not the same person.” Bailey said a bit too harshly. She didn’t understand why she took offense to what Alex said, but she did.

“Calm down, killer. I just came to see how you were holding up.” Before Alex could continue talking Jo placed a plate of breakfast down in front of Bailey.

“Hello, can I help you?” Jo turned towards Alex.

“Nah, I’m good. I just came to talk to her.” He nodded his head towards Bailey. Jo turned his attention back towards Bailey to see if she needed him to kick Alex out. Bailey simply shook her head. Jo took one last look at Alex before heading back into the kitchen.

“How did you know I worked here?” Bailey whispered. She now knew Jo was listening and she didn’t want him to hear everything.

Alex reached over to Bailey’s plate and snatched a piece of bacon. Normally, Bailey would bite his hand off, but she no longer had much of an appetite. “Well, Zack told us that you were at the show and judging my Jack’s attitude we knew he wasn’t lying.” Alex shrugged. He stuffed the entire piece of bacon into his mouth, making sure he chewed slowly.

“That doesn’t answer my question.” Bailey spat, obviously annoyed at Alex.

“Why are you so mean?” Alex asked completely changing the subject.

Bailey sighed. “Well, if you recall, you didn’t exactly have the nicest shit to say to me the last time we spoke.”

Alex shrugged. “Well, you fucked over my best friend. What do you expect?”

“Get the fuck out. I don’t want to talk to you.” Bailey started to get up to walk away, but Alex pulled her back down.

“Chill, I came to talk to you. Let me finish.” Alex let her arm go and she sat back down. “So, I was saying. Zack said you were at the show and I asked him where you were sitting. When I went over to find you, you weren’t there. I asked that hot girl that was at your table where you went and she said home. So, I asked where I could reach you and she told me you worked here. So, here I am.” Alex finished.

“Okay, but why are you here?” Bailey asked skeptically. “I thought you hated me.”

“I did. Well, I thought I did.” Alex took a deep breath trying to gather his thoughts. “Listen, it was a pretty fucked up situation and I know you didn’t mean it and whatever. I just had to take Jack’s side.”

Bailey simply nodded.

“But, I do miss you. A lot actually. We all do. Even Jack, although he won’t admit it. So, I guess I came to apologize and catch up.” Alex smiled making Bailey smile back.

“I can’t tell you how good it is to hear that.” Bailey said honestly. “But, I have to work. Can we do this another time?” She asked hopefully.

“Sure, tonight? I’ll give you my number and I’ll meet ya someplace.” Alex grabbed a napkin and a pen from the counter and started scribbling down his phone number.

“Sounds good to me.” Bailed grinned.

“Sweet, see ya tonight.” Alex stood up, kissing Bailey’s forehead before taking off out the door.
Maybe the day wouldn’t turn out so bad after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, it's an update? I don't know if anyone wants to read this anymore, but I tried.

Comment. Subscribe.