That Moment

O N E

I think about that night often. How perfect everything was. That night I was alert to everything. I was with him, so of course I wanted to remember as much as possible. We were just outside, looking up at the stars, just talking. We talked about anything. Where we wanted to be in 10 years. What we wanted to be doing with life in five.

It was a bit windy that night, but not as cold as it had been earlier in the month. Warm enough for me to be comfortable without my jacket, but close enough to him that I shivered anyways. The tingles on my skin as his fingers brushed my shoulders when he placed his jacket around my arms; it's something I can still feel when I think about it.

He'd asked me if I thought that everything that had happened between us was something I would have thought we'd have. I remember laughing at that, telling him about how I'd thought we were so different than each other. When I was with him, I never knew what to expect, but that was the best part.

We continued talking and my smile never left my face. I looked at him. He looked at me. We looked at each other. It looked as if he'd become embarrassed, as he looked away. I looked back at the sky, watching how brightly the stars twinkled or how the moonlight shown.

One of my neighbors stepped out onto the porch to call her dog in. A few cars went by. One blue, two black, another gray. I was too busy trying to take in all of my surroundings to notice that he had been watching me; too busy looking anywhere but his eyes to notice that he had slowly inched next to me.

I turned my head to face him again and his lips were on mine, his hands around my waist. It was that moment when I didn't notice anything but us. The sparks went off in my mind and everything was gone but the two of us.

I didn't notice my porch light go on. I didn't notice my friend walk up the street and gasp. It didn't matter that I didn't notice. It didn't matter that he would be leaving soon, that this could be the last time for us to see each other. None of it mattered. The only thing that mattered was that moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fin