‹ Prequel: You Stole My Heart

Growing Up Won't Bring Us Down

Sechzehn.

Marco sat nervously in the waiting room, twiddling her fingers and biting her lower lip. She hadn’t argued with Papa Gates about coming to a therapist. A little voice in the back of the mind was telling her it’s exactly what she needs, someone she can tell anything to who can’t run off and tell someone she knows personally. Even Phoenix she wouldn’t be able to trust at this point of time.

“Marco Seward?” Her and Papa Gates’s heads turned toward the now open door on the opposite side of the room. A young woman, the secretary they had checked in with, stood in the doorway with a hallway shown behind her. Papa Gates stood to his feet which caused Marco to follow suit. “Dr. Richards in the last door at the end.”

“Thank-you,” Papa Gates said, Marco smiling and nodding. He led them to the appropriate door which was shut with the gold plaque reading ‘Dr. Richards, Ph.D.’. Brian raised his fist, hitting his knuckles on the door. A quiet ‘come in’ was heard, allowing him to swing the door open.

“Hello, I am Dr. Richards,” a woman greeted as she stood to her feet with her hand extended. She only looked about Johnny’s age. She had curly, light brown hair held back in a ponytail with gray eyes. She was dressed in black slacks and a white blouse. Brian shook her outstretched hand. His calloused one almost swallowed her petite hand whole.

“Brian Haner, I am Marco’s godfather.” When he let go of her hand he pulled the teen forward in front of him. His hands rested comfortingly on her shoulders. “And this is Marco.”

“Hello,” Marco said confidently. The doctor smiled, sitting down and motioning for the two to follow her example. Marco sat in the left chair, Brian to her right.

“I know all people who drop off my first time patients have questions. I give you now to ask away,” Dr. Richards explained, flashing a grin which showed her perfect, straight, white teeth.

“Aren’t you a bit young to already have a doctrine degree Dr. Richards?” Brian asked suspiciously.

“Oh, please call me Emily. I hate that those name formalities,” Dr. Richards Emily said, waving her hand as if excusing the name. “I graduated a year early from high school and was straight into college. I was a bit good at my classes and shoved a year and a half to two years in one school year. Really it’s not very special.”

“That is pretty shocking Emily,” Brian corrected.

“I don’t usually think so,” Emily replied, shrugging.

“Well Emily, I just hope that you are good with your patients is all,” Brian told her, a questioning tone on the end.

“Not to toot my own horn but people believe I am a miracle worker. My patients have claimed to fell better than ever within three sessions. I would like to believe I can do it for everyone but we all know everyone’s different. I will do my best though,” Emily vowed. Brian seemed happy enough with that, standing to shake the doctor’s hand again.

“Thank-you ma’am, that’s all I ask. I will be in the waiting room.” With that Papa Gates left, shutting the door behind himself. Emily settled back into her chair, examining Marco as she looked around the office. Her eyes trailed over photography pictures hung on the wall along with pictures of her boyfriend and some close friends. Relatives and siblings also grinned out at the two from behind glass.

“So Marco.” The teen’s attention darted back to the woman who leaned back in her seat, crossing her legs Indian style in her chair. This caused Marco to do the same, her comfortable position. “How about you tell me a little about yourself?”

“Like, where do you want me to start?” Marco asked unsurely. Emily smiled, hoping to relax the tensed teenager. It worked for the most part. Marco smiled back with her real smile, not the tight, nervous one she had been using since we arrived.

“Well I come to understand that you were adopted by your father, Johnny Seward.” It was true, that was one of the few details Brian had mentioned to her when she agreed to set up the appointment. “How about we start with that?”

“Oh.” Marco narrowed her eyes a little, thinking of every detail. “I had run away from home when I was ten. I didn’t like my parents and they didn’t like me.”

“What was wrong with them?” Emily asked curiously. Marco bit her lip, staring at her lap.

“They were abusive. Had friends come and use me. It was pretty horrific.” Emily winced, quick to change the subject.

“How did you meet Johnny?” Emily made a mental note on how Marco’s face seemed to literally light up at the mention of her adoptive father.

“I was waiting for the bus one night. I found Johnny and tried to get him to give me a ride. Being drunk he really couldn’t, tried to walk away. I was a persistent thing though. I ended up talking him into letting me stay the night. From there I’ve just been with him ever since.”

“So once he adopted you he made Mr. Haner your godfather, correct?” Marco nodded in response. “Why did he chose him?”

“Well my dad’s in a band. They’re his best friends and practically my uncles. He’s actually Uncle Brian’s dad, but we all call him Papa Gates. Dad thought it was only fitting to make him my godfather.”

“What about your uncles? Tell me about them.”

“They amazing,” Marco laughed, thinking of all the memories she shared with them. “Jimmy is pretty crazy. He’s my damn partner in crime. Brian is, funnily, the one who helped me learn about make up and all. Matt shows me how to defend myself and kick butt. Zacky is the one who usually helps me out of any trouble with Dad and takes me for piercings.”

“And their significant others?”

“They’re all awesome. Even though I didn’t like them much when I was younger they took a real liking to me. Never gave up on me.”

“Why didn’t you like them when you were younger?” Marco chuckled, remembering the childish things going on in her mind at the time.

“I never got along with girls. I guess it’s just a thing from when I was way little.” Emily nodded, studying Marco’s behavior. She fidgeted a lot and bit on her lower lip in pauses. Nervous habits.

“So how do you feel about Johnny? What about his family?”

“I love Johnny. He was what my real dad never was. I mean, sure I tick him off and he pisses me off sometimes but I do love him.” Marco’s eyes narrowed as she thought about the unknown half of her family. “You know, I never met anyone from his family. Dad always said that I would never like his parents. He said they were hard asses.”

“Did you ever think about the lack of knowing his family before?” Marco shook his head.

“It never seemed important. I had my ‘other family’, I love them enough to not worry about the rest. Though now that I think about it I feel like I might be a disgrace to him. Maybe that’s why he never really introduced us.”

“I think I should speak to your father a little about this Marco.” Marco frowned which caused Emily frown too. “What’s wrong?”

“That won’t be possible.” Emily stayed silent, staring at Marco with confusion. She let out a sigh, looking at the floor. “He’s on tour. And he’s kind of angry at me. That’s the only reason I’m in town.”

“Oh, I see.” It fell silent in the room. Emily looked at the clock and was pleasantly surprised their thirty minute session was already complete. Today was just a test run to see if Marco would want to keep her as a therapist or not. She stood which caused Marco to follow suit. She led her down the hallway as she talked. “Well Marco, it was lovely meeting you. Hopefully I can see you again? Two days from now maybe?”

“Sure, I’d like that.” Just then she opened the door, showing the waiting room which was empty minus Papa Gates and an elderly woman. Emily pulled a card from her pocket, handing it to the teen.

“Well if you ever need me, day or night, give my home phone a call. Okay?” Marco nodded, taking the card and slipping it in her hoodie pocket.

“Thank-you Emily.”

“No problem.” She waved to Papa Gates and Marco before disappearing back down the hall with the elderly woman. Marco slipped her hands into her pockets. Life finally seemed to be looking up for her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit.

I love you guys: KellShadows, per sempre., PhoebenPaige, ninjapurplepanda, liz510, Violent Ecstasy, I Am Rubicon., surfergirl, broken toy airplane., Neche, Commiserate, VengeanceRevSyn6661, and xXxEnchanted OnexXx. So yay, therapist! You can see a picture of her under the 'characters' button. Just check that out, please and thank-you. Feedback? :D