‹ Prequel: I Must Be Dreaming
Status: On Hiatus

Tell Me That You Love Me

Five

Nick and I sat on the couch for a few hours, sleep the last thing on our minds. Our eyes were watching the scenes unfolding on the screen, but our minds were elsewhere. The silence between us was thick, and neither one of us attempted to break it. We were in a silent agreement that we needed time to think before we could speak.

Somewhere in the silence, and old Criminal Minds episodes we fell asleep on the couch, wrapped up in our shared blanket as we attempted to keep as much space in between our bodies as was possible.

I dreamt that Nick and I had never broken up, and that I had never fallen in love with Kennedy. Nick had decided to move from Braintree to Tempe and we shared a tiny apartment, and when he went on tour Rhett and Ella came and stayed with me. Kennedy was my best friend, as were the rest of the guys. Nick and I had been together for a few years, everyone teased us about marriage, and deep in our hearts, we knew it was going to happen. The dream was black and white; the absence of colors muting the happiness the dream caused me.

The dream faded out quickly only to be replaced by another, one filled with brilliant colors and laughter. Love seemed to be free flowing in this dream.
Kennedy was standing on my doorstep a bouquet of sunflowers in his hands. He was dressed simply, and yet the smile on his face made my heart beat quicken and butterflies to attack my stomach. His hazel eyes bore their way into mine, and I couldn’t help but smile at him. He took a step towards me placed a hand on my cheek. I closed my eyes as he kissed me slightly.

“You have got to be kidding me.” Nick grumbled, reaching across my body to pick up the phone that was obnoxiously ringing.

I rubbed my eyes with the back of my hand, and cuddled closer to Nick’s warm body. I placed my head on his chest and smiled as I heard my brother’s voice on the phone.

Soon enough though, I realized I wasn’t supposed to be hearing the conversation that was taking place. ‘Nick, you’re one of my best friends but I don’t think this is a good idea. She just got her heart broken, you don’t need to swoop in and save the day, and wait for her to realize you’re always there… she doesn’t need to rebound from Kennedy. Hell she was barely broken up with Dylan before she jumped into a relationship with Kennedy. She needs time to think and Ella and Rhett can help her. You don’t always have to be there.’ Jared sounded exasperated and I could imagine him sitting in the bus, his forehead resting against his hand as he held his phone to his ear with the other.

“Jared-” Nick went to respond but Jared interrupted him.

‘No Nick. Just please hear me out okay? Kennedy already thinks there is something going on between Garrett and Dakota because of Garrett kissing her. And then last night Halvo calls trashed out of his mind throwing it in Kennedy’s face that you’re over at the house? Just think about Dakota and think about Kennedy? They’re your best friends. Yes, you may love Dakota but so does Kennedy even if he isn’t exactly showing it in the best way right now. And Dakota is in love with Kennedy. She has been since God knows how long. Let them figure this out, and when we come home please just let them get back together because I won’t be able to stand a moping Kennedy for much longer.’

“What the hell do you mean Eric called him? You’re fucking kidding me right?” Nick yelled sitting up quickly, my head calling from his chest onto the couch cushions.

There was a muffled voice on Jared’s end of the line, and Nick stood up from the couch and started pacing back and forth in front of me. Nick made a humming noise in the back of his throat before hanging up his phone and throwing it towards the love seat. He rubbed his hands across his face, irritation oozing from his pores.

“Dakota… I’m going to call Rhett and Ella so that they can come over and keep you company while you work on your schoolwork okay? Eric and I need to have a little chat.” Nick walked over to me quickly and placed a quick chaste kiss to my forehead.

“Nick, you treat me like a little kid. I’m eight-” I started complaining as he straightened up in front of me a smile on his face.

“Eighteen I know, I know. I’m twenty though, so I can still boss you around, especially when Jared isn’t here to do it.” Nick smiled at me slightly before grabbing my hand. “Go get in the shower, and when you come back down here the girls will be here okay?”

I smiled at him slightly before walking towards the stairs. I stopped at the foot of the staircase though and turned around so I could face Nick. Looking back at him brought back all of the memories I shared with him, and all the good times that he brought into my life.

I was sitting in the last row of the van as the guys stood outside looking at the venue for they would be playing in for the night. I could feel everyone’s eyes on me and I just sunk lower into the seat turning my body from them. I didn’t care if Kennedy Brock had a girlfriend, and there was no reason why I should.

I was sitting there pouting when the door flew open and Eric Halvorsen’s brown eyes met my green ones. His face broke out in a grin as he launched himself at me and wrapped his arms around me. I smiled as I returned his hug, thankful that one person wasn’t sitting there waiting for me to get angry about Kennedy’s girlfriend.

“Come on! I have someone I want you to meet!” Eric yelled grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the van. He tugged too hard though, and I tumbled out of the van and landed on my butt. I noticed that there were seven guys standing outside of the van. I bowed my head shyly when I stood up and realized I didn’t know whom one of them was.

Justin looked up at me and smiled slightly before waving his hand in greeting. I smiled shyly at him before Eric pulled me next to John. He was in a conversation with a redheaded boy but Eric cleared his throat to draw the attention to him. “Dakota my dear you remember Justin of course.” Eric pointed and we both nodded our heads to his statement. “This is Nick Santino. Nick, this is Dakota Monaco.” Eric pushed me forward slightly so I was standing incredibly close to Nick.

“Hi.” I mumbled slightly, nervousness taking over my body. I heard him laugh slightly and I blinked in surprise as he put his hand under my chin and pulled my face gently upwards.

“You’re gorgeous.” He smiled at me and I returned it slowly as I felt my stomach flip-flop.


“Nick! Just leave me alone!” I screamed as he continued tickling me ignoring my protests.

We were in the middle of the parking lot of the venue, the vans and buses of the various bands spread out around us. Nick was sitting on my thighs as he tickled my sides.

He stopped suddenly and looked up to the stars above us. “Shooting star! Make a wish Dakota!” He yelled before scrunching his eyes together in thought. I laughed slightly and closed my eyes as well trying to think of a wish.
I opened my eyes to see his face mere inches from mine. “I wrote you a song.”
He murmured pressing his forehead to mine.

He lightly pressed his lips to mine and I felt my eyes flutter shut. He pulled back seconds later and jumped up so he was standing in front of me. He reached his hand out to me and I quickly grabbed it allowing him to pull me up into his body. He led me over to a picnic table where his guitar sat and he picked it up as I sat down in front of him. He started playing, and I couldn’t keep the smile off my face.

“Oh, Dakota, I know our love is new. I barely know ya I've fallen over you. It's the way you do the things you do that make me fall in love with you. Dakota, are you in love with me too? 'Cause I'm in love with you. Are you in love with me too?” He sang the end of the song, and slowly placed his guitar back on the table and sent a nervous smile my way.

I stood up, and slowly made my way over to him and shyly wrapped my arms around his thin waist. We stood like that for a few minutes before I pulled back slightly. I wrapped my hands around the back of his neck, and stood up on my tiptoes until our noses were brushing. “Yes, Nick.” I whispered as confusion flickered and finally realization came over him. He quickly pressed his lips to mine, kissing me passionately.

“I love you so much Dakota. I promise I won’t hurt you.” He whispered a few minutes later as we walked towards The Maine’s van, hand in hand.
I smiled at him slightly when we got there, the boys staring at us from inside. “I love you too Nick. So much.”


“You’re still standing there?” Nick laughed as he placed his cell phone back on the table and he walked towards me. “I thought you went upstairs ten minutes ago.”

“I was thinking.” I mumbled as he stopped walking, a couple feet in between us. “I was thinking about the first night you sang to me.” I said more confidently as a smile spread across his face. I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around him, and placed my head into his chest so I could hear his heartbeat. We stood like that for a few minutes while I attempted to muster up the courage to say something.

He laughed slightly, the sound reverberating through his chest. I pulled back slightly and looked up at his face, confusion overcoming me. “You’re shaking.” He said and I smiled slightly.

I leaned up on my tiptoes and I moved my arms from his waist up to the back of neck. I looked into his eyes as he held his breath. I kissed him quickly on the mouth before stepping backwards and walking back towards the stairs. I stopped halfway up and turned noticing he was still standing there.

“I never stopped loving you either Nick. It just, it wasn’t as much as I loved Kennedy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo, who saw that one coming? (;

Comments are appreciated.