Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 15

Natalie informed the Marauders of some minor details of Katie’s situation. Like that she couldn’t be alone with Alpha. Everything else she kept to herself, which was hard for her. Natalie was never one for secrets. But it was necessary. If the Marauders found out about Alpha’s true identity, they would probably get themselves killed.

Natalie was sitting in the library, alone, trying to find something more about suciobus’, but having no such luck. There was absolutely nothing on any type of demon. Natalie sighed, laying her head down on the book she was reading. She wished Katie was here. Katie had always been good at researching.

“You okay?” Ben’s voice interrupted the quiet. Natalie looked up at him, watching as he sat across from her.

“Not really” she mumbled. “I just want my friend back.”

“I know, Natalie” Ben sighed. Natalie jumped when he laid his hand on hers. “But we’ll get her back and ship Alpha back to Australia. I promise.” Natalie nodded slowly. Eventually, Ben pulled away and leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest. “The ball is still taking place” he stated casually.

“I know” Natalie said. “Dumbledore probably wants to keep things at school as normal as possible now that the attacks have most likely stopped.”

“Well, I was wondering if you would like to go with me to the ball” he said slowly. Natalie blinked in shock. “We don’t have to go as more than friends. Just friends. If you want. I mean, I know it won’t be much fun seeing as we have to find a way to get Alpha to take the potion and all but we—”

“I’d love to” Natalie cut in, smiling. Ben flushed a light pink under his deep tan, but smiled lightly.

“Good. Okay. Great” he muttered nervously. Natalie smiled. “You know, I’m sure you could find a way to get Katie away from Alpha so you two could get your dresses. I’m sure Alpha’s taking her to the ball.”

“He is” Natalie muttered. “And I’ll do my damndest (sp?) to get her to Hogsmead tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?” Ben asked. Natalie nodded.

“6th years have tomorrow off so we can get our costumes and stuff” she explained. She frowned then. “Do you think she’ll be kinda normal if I get her away from Alpha?” Ben frowned as well.

“It’s possible. Alpha’s influence only reaches about a foot away from him; maybe less” he said. “But he can manipulate her a bit to get her to come to him.”

“Crap” Natalie groaned.

“Only if he makes eye contact with her” he said quickly. “That’s why his eyes changed to that dusty red color last night.”

“Okay, so what about him?” Natalie asked. “What if he follows us?”

“Don’t worry, the Marauders and I will find a way to keep him busy” Ben smirked lightly.

“Just don’t let Sirius and him fight” Natalie ordered, jabbing a finger at him. When her finger made contact with his shoulder, it was like jabbing a rock. She winced, rubbing her finger as she pouted. He chuckled, and then stood up.

“Come on, wimpy, we should find Remus. He probably wants to get away from them two” he said. Natalie took his hand, nodding. The Marauders had been taking shifts by themselves with Katie and Alpha, while Ben and Natalie always went together. Ben had said that he didn’t trust Alpha alone with her, because ‘he was stronger than her and his influence could affect her.’ Ben was apparently had an influence, but it was opposite to his brother’s. So if Ben was around his brother, he could keep the girls away from Alpha. It didn’t work on Katie though. Probably because she was Alpha’s hyrokant.

Natalie hated that. She hated how her best friend was supposedly a ‘soulmate’ for some sex demon. Katie was too pure to be a hyrokant. “Ben, why do suciobus’ choose innocent girls?” Natalie asked as the two were walking down the hall.

“Because hyrokants are opposites of the suciobus” he answered. “The minds of innocent girls are much more fragile than girls such as you.” Natalie raised her eyebrow at that.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” she asked. He looked down quickly, looking panicked.

“That’s not what I meant. I mean, you’re much more out-going from what I can tell and you’re more bold than Katie. Katie is shy and likes to hang back in the background. Right?” Natalie nodded. “Well, suciobus’ like that. It, and I’m quoting my great-grandfather, ‘makes the sex sweeter’.”

“Okay, ew” Natalie muttered. “But even if I have to stalk them every second of the day, and skip classes, I will to make sure that they are never alone.”

“I know you would. That’s what makes you such a great friend.” Ben smiled softly. Natalie smiled back.

Ben led Natalie outside, and past the courtyard were students were basking in the sun, out to the Black Lake. They found Remus sitting under a tree with his head in his hands. Alpha and Katie were sitting their as well, staring at each other lovingly. It made Natalie nearly hurl.

Natalie tapped Remus’ shoulder, causing him to look up. She smiled at his disgusted expression. “Thank you” he whispered, standing. She nodded, sitting down so her back was against the trunk and she could see both the lake and Alpha and Katie.

“What are you two doing here?” Alpha asked casually.

“Coming to enjoy the sun, like you” Ben answered just as casually. Natalie saw Alpha glare at his brother. “How are you today by the way, brother?”

“Wonderful because I’m with Katie” Alpha grinned, looking down at the star struck blonde. Who giggled. Giggled. The only time Katie had giggled was when she was around Sirius. Now she just sounded like a little girl. It was sickening really.

“Katie?” Natalie said, cutting through the ‘bleck’ moment she was having. The blonde looked over reluctantly. “I was wondering if tomorrow you would like to come with me to Hogsmead to get our costumes for the ball.”

“We would love to” Alpha answered. Natalie forced herself not to glare at him.

“I meant my friend. Not you” she said sharply. “Katie?” Those blue eyes came back to her.

“Sure” Katie said slowly. Natalie grinned, earning a half smile back. My friend is still in there, Natalie thought excitedly. Underneath that mushy, gross layer. Alpha looked truly confused, especially as Katie pulled away and scooted toward Natalie. Ha! Take that you bastard! Ben scooted toward his brother and leaned into his ear.

“Katie’s mind isn’t fragile, brother. She’s very intelligent” Natalie managed to hear.

“What are you going as, Nat?” Katie asked.

“What are you going as?” Natalie shot back. “Whatever you do I have to be opposite. Like always.” Natalie and Katie had always had a tradition of dressing up as opposites. Like one year for Halloween Natalie dressed up as a Fire Queen and Katie was an Ice Queen.

“We’ll find out tomorrow then” Katie shrugged. She then looked around, and a look of confusion came over her face. “Where are the guys? Why aren’t they out here? It’s beautiful out.”

“Not a beautiful as you, love” Alpha asked, leaning toward her. She blushed, looking away to hide behind her hair.

“Thanks” she mumbled.

“I honestly don’t know where they are” Natalie said. “They’re probably inside planning a prank.” Katie looked sad, Natalie realized. She wanted the Marauders out here. “You want to go look for them?” Natalie asked.

Katie smiled, nodding. “I’ll come with you” Alpha cut in.

“Sorry, but we’re in some much needed girl time” Natalie retorted, helping Katie to her feet. Katie waved to the two boys as the girls walked away. “So, you and Alpha, huh?” Natalie tried to sound casually but failed. Katie didn’t answer.

“Nat, I haven’t been completely honest to you” she said quietly, after a long silence. Natalie frowned in confusion. “I…I like Sirius.”

“Well, duh” Natalie snorted. “It’s pretty obvious. Well, was. Now you’re with Alpha.”

“I don’t like Alpha” Katie mumbled. “I feel like he’s only using me.” Natalie blinked.

“Katie, if I told you that Alpha really was only using you, and that he was a demon, would you believe me?” Natalie asked honestly. Katie was silent for the longest time; so long that Natalie thought she wasn’t going to answer.

“Maybe” she said quietly. “You haven’t lied to me before. So if you were completely serious and you looked me right in the eye, I guess I would believe you.” Natalie nodded and got ready to tell her friend the truth. However, she didn’t get a change because Katie abruptly ran into someone’s back. “Oh, I’m sorry” she said quickly, blushing scarlet. The guy turned, and Natalie felt herself grin. “Oh, hi Sirius” Katie chirped, grinning.

Natalie nearly laughed at his surprised expression, but he then smiled when he saw that Alpha was no where to be seen. “Hello, Katie.”

“Hey, Katie” James grinned from behind Sirius.

“Hi, James, Remus, Peter” she smiled at the other three.

“How’d you get her away from Alpha?” Sirius whispered in Natalie’s ear.

“She actually came willingly” Natalie whispered back. “I think the spells wearing off.”

“Really?” he asked, hopeful. Natalie nodded.

“Are you guys going to Hogsmead tomorrow?” Katie asked.

“Yeah” James answered. “Are you?”

“Yep” Katie nodded. “I’m going with Natalie.”

“What about Alpha?” Remus asked.

“I don’t know what he’s doing” Katie said honestly.

“Do ya’ll mind if we join you later on?” Sirius asked. Katie looked at Natalie for approval. Natalie grinned and nodded.

“Sure” Katie answered. Sirius grinned. Maybe the spell really is wearing off, he thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
OMG!! IS Katie coming back? Is the spell wearing off? Read on to find out!!
oh, and incase you want a larger pic of Katie, just look at this: http://img-2006-12.photosight.ru/02/1796482.jpg