Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 29

After that day, Regulus and Katie had grown closer. Not close-close as in romantical, but close as in friends. He helped her practice the things she learned with Professor Humphrey, and they helped each other with homework. Even though Regulus wasn’t much help to her seeing as he was in 5th year and she in 6th, but they still had fun.

It was nearing Christmas. The break coming up soon had all of the students excited. No homework for nearly a month. Even Katie was excited.

But the happiness didn’t last long for Katie. Sirius had grown a bit bitter. Not exactly toward her, just everything in general. She had no idea why.

Katie skipped—yes, skipped. It shocked even her—into the Great Hall one morning, feeling increasingly excited. She found Natalie and the Marauders already at the table, though they didn’t look nearly as excited or even as awake as her.

“Morning” she chirped, sitting next to Natalie. They all grumbled their greetings. “Wonderful morning, isn’t it?”

“How could it possible be wonderful?” James muttered, his head nearly dangling in his bowl of cereal.

“It’s almost her birthday” Natalie said. “A week from today.”

“Really?” Sirius asked, with an accidental yawn. Katie nodded excitedly.

“What’s today?” Remus slurred.

“December 18th” Katie answered.

“You’re birthday is on Christmas?” James asked. Katie nodded.

“Lucky” Sirius muttered with a chuckle.

“Thank you” she grinned. “Ya’ll remembered that we have a Hogsmead visit today, right?”

“We do?” James asked, stunned. “I thought that was tomorrow.”

“No, stupid” Natalie muttered. “Even I remembered. But I was up all night doing fucking Charms homework.”

“I would’ve given anything to have been doing homework” Remus groaned, finally laying his head on the table. “Instead I was—”

“Helping us with a prank” Sirius cut in, looking urgent. Katie and Natalie exchanged a look.

“Miss Scott” Professor Humphrey said from behind her. She looked up at him. “I’d like to talk to you for a moment.”

“Of course” she smiled, standing. “See you guys later.” Taking a piece of toast, she followed him out of the Great Hall. “How have you been, Professor?” Katie asked kindly.

“I’ve been good, Katie” he smiled. “But if you like, you can call me David when we’re alone. ‘Professor’ makes me feel old.” Katie laughed lightly, as did he. “I wanted to ask you if you were going home for break.”

“No” Katie answered. “My parents are in Ireland for a second honeymoon. They won’t be back until January.”

“Oh, well good” he smiled. “That means we can practice more.” As they entered the classroom, David—it was going to take a long time to get used to calling him that—went over to his desk and pulled out a box. “I have to leave for a little while, but I made this for you so you can practice while I’m gone.”

“Where are you going?” Katie asked, taking the box. “If I may ask.”

“Some family business that I have to take care of” he answered. “Open it.”

Katie slowly lifted the lid, and saw inside a black leather book. It was rather large and very heavy she found when she lifted it out of the box. There was no title or anything on the front. “What is it?” she asked, confused.

“It’s a progress book” David answered. “I wrote it. It has all the spells, curse, jinxes, charms, etcetera, in it. It describes their effects and tells you the incantations. There’s also a place for you to write if you performed it perfectly or not. I’ve been writing in it since we started.” As he spoke, Katie flipped through the book, “You’re allowed to go out of order. I just find things easier if they’re done in order.”

“Thank you” she smiled. He nodded.

“And I heard that your birthday was in a week” David continued. Katie nodded. “Well, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make it, and I thought this couldn’t wait, so here.” He handed her another box, this one wrapped in silver and very small. Katie ripped it open excitedly. It was a little velvet box, which held inside a large ring. It was obviously a man’s ring, given this design. In the center lay a huge red gem, ruby no doubt. It was the color of blood, but still beautiful. “It was my daughter’s.”

“Was?” Katie asked. He nodded sadly.

“She was tortured by a Death Eater to the point of insanity” he said. Katie touched his arm comfortably. “You remind me of her so much. I want you to wear it.”

“Are you sure?” Katie asked. He nodded, smiling lightly. Slowly, she slipped the ring onto her finger. It fit perfectly. “It’s beautiful.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 29! Up and Running! Boring, yes i know, but oh well. and i'm not sure if i'm going to post 30 now. i think i may have put that i would in the previous chapter, but i made a mistake. i meant to say 29 and got too lazy to change it back.

well, comment and suggest how many chapters i should post next. 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5?