Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 31

Katie was in a meadow, surrounded by beautiful flowers of all colors. The sun was shining brightly on her, warming anything and everything. The breeze was just a gently caress on her skin. On it was the scent of lemons and citrus. Sure enough, just a little ways away, were orange and lemon trees.

“Luka, this is absolutely beautiful” she heard her mother’s voice. But Katie was the one who said it.

“Oren told me about it” Luka Scott said, taking Katie’s hand. But it wasn’t Katie’s hand, it was her mother’s.

“Well, I’ll have to thank him when we get back” Christine Scott smiled before placing a slow kiss on her husband’s lips. Katie made a face, though it didn’t show anywhere.

Suddenly, there was a flash of green, and Luka dropped to the ground, dead. Christine, with a sob caught between her throat and lips, dropped to her knees next to him. His pale blue eyes were wide and vacant, dead. As she went to touch his face, excruciating pain coursed through her, so great that she couldn’t even scream.

She heard cackling before she blacked out.

-

When she came to, there was a bright light shining in her face. She groaned as she tried to cover her face, but found she was tied down. A masked face then appeared in her line of vision. “Don’t move, Mrs. Scott.” That was all he said, before he moved away.

The next thing she heard had her veins filling with ice. A baby’s cry. Christine instantly knew that this was her baby, her baby boy. But Christine would never be able to hold her baby. Would never feel the warmth of his skin.

Tilting her head toward where her son was, she whispered, “Welcome to the world, Jacob.”


Katie’s eyes shot open, and instantly she saw Professor Dumbledore’s face. He looked sad and sympathetic. “It wasn’t a dream, was it?” was all she said. He shook his head slowly.

“Katie, I am very sorry to inform you, but both of your parents are dead” he said gently.

“And my brother?” Katie asked.

“Alive and healthy” he answered. Katie sat up.

“Where is he?” Katie asked with tears stinging her eyes.

“He is at St. Mungo’s” he said.

“It was the Cruciatus Curse that I felt, wasn’t it?” Katie asked softly as tears leaked from her eyes.

“I believe so” Dumbledore replied.

“Will my brother be okay?”

“Yes. The Healers believe that he was unaffected by the curse.”

“Where will he go? I’m not legally an adult” Katie said. “I don’t want him to go to an orphanage.”

“The McCoy’s are his temporary legal guardians. Until you turn 17, they will care for him” Dumbledore said. Katie breathed a sigh of relief. Oren and Fiona McCoy were loving, caring people. Katie knew that her baby brother would be loved and cared for there. “Would you like me to fetch Mr. Black, or Miss McCoy?” he asked softly. She nodded, drawing her knees to her chest. Katie felt his hand on her shoulder. “I am very, very sorry for your loss, Katie.”

“It’s not your fault, Professor” Katie whispered. “There was nothing neither you nor anyone else could’ve done.” As Professor Dumbledore left, Katie pressed her eyes into her knees.

Strong arms wrapped around her, and then a familiar voice whispered in her ear, “I’m so sorry, Katie.” Katie wrapped her arms around his torso and buried her face into his shoulder. Sirius could feel the wetness of her tears seeming into his shirt, and could feel the trembling of her body. He pulled her into his lap as Natalie sat on the bed next to Katie.

“It’ll be okay, Kitty” Natalie said gently, rubbing her friend’s back.

“So you know?” came the choked voice.

“Yes” Natalie answered. “Mum and Dad sent me a letter explaining it.” Natalie paused. “Do you want to know his name?” Katie nodded, pulling away from Sirius slightly to look at her friend. Natalie’s heart broke at the sight of her dead blue eyes, which looked nearly black in the dark Hospital Wing. “His name is Jacob Robert Scott.”

Katie choked on a sob as she squeezed her eyes shut. “I want to see him.”

“Not tonight, love” Sirius said, gently stroking her hair.

“No. Now” Katie argued, pulling away from him completely. “I’m going to see him even if I have to walk.” With that, she began walking toward the door, her determination showing on her features.

“We’re coming with you” Natalie said as she and Sirius caught up with her.

“You don’t have—”

“If you say we don’t have to, I’m going to smack you” Natalie cut in.

“We’re going with you whether you like it or not” Sirius added. Katie smiled softly, though it didn’t reach her eyes.

-

Professor Dumbledore was a bit reluctant to let Katie go out in the middle of the night to St. Mungo’s, but after a lot of persuading (and some few accidentally tears) he let her go. Along with Sirius and Natalie.

The Healers of the hospital had apparently been expecting her, Sirius, and Natalie, because when they appeared in the fireplace, she was immediately escorted into the room where Jacob was.

“He’s hasn’t stopped crying since your mother died” the Healer said sadly, a frown on her face. “And he won’t eat or sleep.” Sure enough, when they walked into the room, the wailing of a baby met Katie’s ears. The Healer that was trying to calm him looked up and smiled gently.

Katie looked back at her friends, who both smiled and nodded. Taking a deep breath to keep her composure, Katie walked toward the Healer and her brother. Katie could plainly see his blonde hair, which both her mum and dad had, even though he wasn’t even a day old.

As Katie took the infant into her arms, he fell silent and opened his eyes. Katie’s eyes. Her father’s eyes. He gazed at her in wonder and awe, and Katie gazed right back at him. Slowly, Jacob raised his tiny hands and placed them on her cheeks. Katie smiled through her tears, earning a big grin back.

-

“I think I’m going to cry” Natalie whispered, putting a hand to her mouth. Sirius watched the two siblings with a heavy heart. Katie was staring at her baby brother like he was the greatest treasure in the world, and he was staring at her like she was an angel. But if only the two had come together under different circumstances, with their parents on either side of them. “Sirius?”

“Huh?” Sirius looked at Natalie in confusion.

“Katie asked you if you wanted to see him” Natalie said slowly. Sirius looked over at Katie, who was staring back at him with a concerned expression on her face. He smiled and walked toward her.

Jacob looked at him as Sirius drew near, and Sirius was struck by how wise those pale blue eyes looked. Like they had seen 100 days of the greatest horrors. They studied Sirius, before finally, the infant smiled and reached out toward him. Sirius smiled.

“Would you like to hold him?” Katie asked softly. Sirius looked at her in shock.

“I—I don’t know about th-that” he stuttered. She smiled gently. “I mean, h-he’s your brother. You sh-should spend time with him.” Jacob gave an impatient whimper as he grabbed at the air toward Sirius.

“Just support his head” she murmured. Sirius gently took the tiny infant into his arms, feeling as if he were made of glass. Jacob grinned, placing his tiny hands on Sirius’ cheeks, like he had done with Katie a few moments ago. Sirius smiled down at Jacob.

~

Natalie watched Sirius’ eyes warm as he smiled down at Katie’s baby brother. She couldn’t help but think that he would be a wonderful father one day, and Katie a mother. They both stared down at Jacob with love and awe. Sirius wasn’t even Jacob’s brother and Natalie could already see that he loved the infant like his own.

She smiled thinking of the two being together and staring at their own child. She could already see it. Katie would be beaming brightly, her pale blue eyes shimmering with tears, happiness, and love. Sirius would have his arm around her as he stared down at Katie and his son or daughter, his own grey eyes bright and full of love. The child would be gazing back at the two in awe, with either blue eyes or grey eyes.

“You three should be going” a Healer said. Katie looked up at her, a sad expression on her face. “You may come back tomorrow if you’d like. As long as it’s alright with your Headmaster.” Katie nodded as she took Jacob from Sirius. Jacob gave a little wail when Katie went to put him down in his crib.

“Its okay, Jakey” Katie cooed, kissing his forehead. “I’ll be back tomorrow, I swear.” Again, he whined as she started to set him down again.

“Maybe you should stay until he falls asleep” the Healer smiled. Katie nodded.

“You guys go on back. I’ll see you later” Katie said.

“Okay” Natalie nodded, before kissing her cheek and kissing Jacob’s forehead. “Bye, Jacob.”

“I’ll stay if you want me to” Sirius said quietly as Natalie walked out of the room. Katie shook her head.

“You should go back. You have classes tomorrow” Katie said, smiling slightly.

“I can ditch” Sirius stated. Katie kissed his cheek.

“Thank you” Katie whispered. “But I kinda want to be alone.” Sirius sighed and nodded.

“I’ll see you tomorrow” Sirius said. She nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor Katie :'( Everything seems to happen to her.
And can anyone guess who killed Luka and Christine?? I'll give you a hint: she's a crazy beotch who killed my favorite character, but strangely i still love her because she's awesome.

Drew Barrymore as Christine Scott
Image
and Matthew McConaughey as Luka Scott
Image
I had to edit the picture to give him blonde hair. not sure how i did.