Reservoir

Cold Weather.

When they bought the house, neither expected they’d ever need the fireplace that was in the living room. Yet that winter, the temperature dropped low enough that John felt it was time to use it. It took multiple attempts for him, a small pile of matches mounded up beside him on the brick. John would groan, trying to somehow get out of doing it but Tania would give him that “you promised” look and he’d crouch back down again. Once he got the small flame going, he backed away from it, looking at it with a victorious smile.

“Tan--” He started to yell, turning around to see her already on the couch, a cup of hot cocoa in her hand and another mug resting on the coffee table. “I finished the.. uh fire.”

She sent him a smile, patting the cushion beside her, inviting him t come sit with her. John smiled back, grabbing the mug from the table and stepping closer. “What do you want to do now?” His smirk grew, her hand reaching out for his arm and pulling him down beside her. Before he could react, she was already cuddled into him, pulling his arm over around her waist as her head rested on his chest.

They were silent for a few minutes, enjoying the sounds of the fire crackling and the warmth that engulfed them. He drank his drink, watching her start to fall asleep. Once he finished though, he grew bored, tangling his fingers through her hair and waited for her to react.

“Tania?” He mumbled in her ear, kissing under her jaw. “Wake up.”

Tania shushed him and swatted away his hand, keeping her eyes shut. He knew how much she was enjoying this. It had been another long week for her, full of stresses from juggling work and school. And on top of that, she was forced out in the cold all week while he could stay in their bed all day if he wanted. John wanted to let her sleep but the way her arms would around his waist, her hands under the bottom hem of his shirt, he couldn’t help himself.

He pushed her up gently again, capturing her lips and pulling her into him. She only sighed, kissing him back tiredly. John pulled her into his lap, his lips trailing over her skin, kissing down her neck and into the crook of her neck. He could feel her breathing gently, wrapping her arms around his neck and keeping him close. “I know you’d do this.” She breathed out, her fingers twisting through his short hair. “Predictable John.”

Then he surprised her, pushing her back hard against the couch. His hands feel from her waist to her hips, playing with the elastic of her sweatpants. “Predictable?” He pouted, dragging the fabric down a little, “I’m not predictable.”

Tania exhaled when his hand grazed over her bare hip, whining when his lips hovered over hers. She waited for him to swoop down, his lips touching hers gently before he started kissing her roughly. Except he didn’t. “John?” She groaned.

It was the dog’s bark that pulled them both out of their trance. Tania sent him another smiling, as if asking him to go let the dog in. He let out a heavy groan, pecking her lips, and pulling himself away. Tania listened to him walk to the kitchen, the sliding glass door open and the large dog run in, his toe nailing clicking against the tile on the floor. She giggled when she heard the dog jump up on her boyfriend, frowning when she heard of four of Nolan’s paws him the floor. Their pets followed John into the living room, the German Shepherd staying a pace ahead the the kitten trailing behind.

“Nolan, no.” John whined, watching the large dog climb into his spot, her arms immediately winding around his neck and pressing a kiss to his mane. “No.” He sighed again, falling into the spot by her feet, his kitten climbing into his lap.

He rested his head against the back of their sofa, closing his eyes and petting the small cat in his lap. It wasn’t until he felt her hand coil around him and pull for him. Tania whined out of his name, his head bouncing up to see her. “Come back.”

John filled in the gap between her and the back on the couch, putting the kitten beside the dog that was sprawled out over her. Aries meowed but curled into the fur of Nolan. John’s lips smirked into the crook of Tania’s neck, placing a few soft kisses there.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is all over the place.

February 4, 2011.