Status: Complete, I think.

How to Get Rid of Your Ex Girlfriend

An Eye for Detail

“You are so damn impossible,” I said shortly, studying myself in the mirror as Tyler looked for a new shirt. Monday morning, and I was already feeling bad-tempered.

Probably because I’d been up since three doing homework.

“Just pick something, can't you?”

He ducked back out of my closet, where he had dropped his bags in a heap on the floor. His personal section of the closet was already taken up by the clothes he kept here, even when he wasn’t living with us twenty-four seven.

I really wasn’t sure why he’d brought so much anyway. Was he was becoming self-conscious about his looks?

Which was stupid, because all the girls thought he was gay.

“This good?” He plucked at a light blue sweater and frowned.

I shook my head. “Go with navy. I like the navy on you.”

He grinned and tugged the offending sweater off, tossing it back into the closet. Tyler wasn’t exactly the muscled type, he was lean and skinnier than average. You could see his abs, though. I always joked that this was only because he was so thin.

My breath caught.

Damn.

It's that stupid dust again. I really needed to vacuum my room…

“Adams?” I frowned at Tyler as he straightened the hem of the navy sweater. “Why didn’t you fix your hair?”

He blinked at me, then raised a hand to the clump of tangled black hair sitting atop his head like a bird’s nest. “Oh. Must have forgot.” A slight grin curved across his face. “So, you care about my appearance now? You’re such a good boyfriend.”

“No, your hair’s just an absolute mess.” I shrugged impassively, turning away to grab my bag from the floor and my phone from the desk. “Fix it quick, we’re going to be late.”

While Tyler attacked his hair with a wet comb in the bathroom, I wandered restlessly around the room, stopping every once and a while to check myself in the mirror again. I ran my hand through my own hair, trying to give it that perfectly messy look.

Only ‘cause I’d be seeing Lena today, and she would be single once again. This was my chance.

Tyler stepped back into the room. His eyes flicked up to my hair, and I think he knew I’d been messing it up purposefully. His hair was now neat and combed, looking just as impeccable as always.

“Well, almost…” I finished under my breath, and before I could catch hold of myself I was moving across the room towards him.

Tyler stared at me.

“Your bangs are off,” I explained, moving the black strands into place carefully. “There. Perfect.”

For a second, he looked as though he might keep staring, but then a small laugh came out of his mouth. “I can’t believe you noticed that. See what I said about caring about my appearance?”

Once more, I shrugged. “I have an eye for detail.”

“No you don’t. I’m the one who has the eye for detail. You’re the one who glances over everything and leaves it messed up. Or purposefully messes it up,” he added with a snicker.

“So you noticed my appearance too, you hypocrite.”

“Only because I have an eye for detail.” He grinned evilly.

“Shut up!”

“Make me!”

I stuffed my hand over his mouth. “I just – ow! You bit me!”

“I did.” He slung his bag over his shoulder and held out his hand. “Shall we go, good sir?”

Without missing a beat, I took it, pretending to tip my hat to him with my free hand. “Yes we shall, milady.”

“Why do I have to be the girl?” he grumbled.

“Because you’re the girl of the relationship. The girl always has the eye for detail, doesn’t she?” I returned with a chuckle.

We stepped out the door, starting down the street with joined hands and identical grins on our faces. The morning air tasted sweet, and the gentle breeze caressing my face seemed to sap a little of my exhaustion. People passed us with curious, lingering looks.

Quickly, I tightened my hand on Tyler’s, feeling proud of myself for ignoring this.

Now don’t get the wrong idea. Tyler and I were only holding hands because…well, because it felt natural. After the awkwardness of the kiss slipped away, we had gone back to, sort of habitually, acting like a couple. Plus, classmates often took this same way to school. It was good to keep up appearances.

And it’s not like anyone could stop us from being who we are.

Even if that was only two crazy best friends pretending to be in love.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this whole thing was only supposed to be a tiny beginning bit to this chapter. But it ended up longer than I thought, so here you go.

You guys make my day when you comment, subscribe, or read on. Especially when you do all of them <3

Thank you to my 29 subscribers, 89 readers, and 16 people who commented! <---- Tally, so you guys will feel special.

Well, not really 16 because some of you commented more than once. I love you all the more for that :D