The Wanderlust

Senior Ditch Day (Michael pt.1)

I pull my truck into Jamie's driveway and send her a text message to let her know that I'm here to pick her up. A few minutes later she steps out of the house in her white tank top and green workout shorts, carrying her beach bag.
She gets in the truck. "Hey, babe." She says, we peck on the lips. Her lips have a slight cherry taste to them.
"Ready?" I ask her.
She smiles at me. "Yeah." I reverse out of her driveway and take the nearest freeway from her house to Santa Cruz. "Is that what your wearing?" She questions me.
I look down at my white T and light/dark blue basketball shorts and shrug. "This is fine, right?"
"It not swimwear."
"No one actually goes swimming at the beach, or else we would've just thrown a pool party locally at someone's house."
"Okay..." She says slowly.
"What!"
"Nothing," I stop at the light. "Its Senior Ditch day and I just want you to have fun."
"I know." I say, then she flashes a smile at me.
We head out for the freeway and after about thirty minutes of driving, my phone rings out from in the car cup holder.
"Answer that for me, please." Jamie opens my phone and answers it.
"Hello?" She pauses. "Oh hey, Sean... Yeah, he's right here."
"Speakerphone." I tell her and she puts him on the loud speaker. "What's up, Sean?" I project.
"Holy sh'ite, Michael." He says.
"What?"
"You wouldn' believe dis one. Traffic to Santa Cruz is completely unmovin'."
"Fuck... Seriously?"
"Yeah. Kurt and Chase are there a'ready settin' up."
"Alright, thanks for the heads up. Are Jarrett and Eddie with you?"
"Yes, these bastards aren't bein' discreet about their smokin'. Their tryna get me license revoked and me deported back to ol' Scotland."
I laugh. "Shut up, bro, your not going back to Scotland anytime soon."
"Yeah, sure."
"I'll call you soon."
"A'ight, Mike." Sean hangs up.
Jamie frowns. "We're going to be so late. You guys might not be able to play your show."
"Maybe not, I'll take a short cut. " I explain the route to her and gives me a nod.
A hour later, we make it up to the beach boardwalk right around the same time Sean, Jarrett and Eddie do. Our arrival was thirty minutes behind schedule, but that wasn't too bad. We got up on the platform on the beach next to the boardwalk and set up. Jarrett warmed up his throat while Eddie, Chase, Sean, Kurt and I tuned/set up our instruments. Jarrett grabs the microphone and talks to crowd, our fellow seniors, about Senior Ditch day. Now, we're all ready to play so it begins.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait to update