Status: Completed

Breaking Their Hold

These Secrets We Hide

I was stretched out on a beach towel, watching Brian, Zacky, and Johnny toss a Frisbee around. It was our last day in Huntington Beach and I was dreading the return to Alabama. California was like an entirely different world, one where I was truly happy.

At least Bri will be with me. The thought made me smile.

“My dreams have come true,” Jimmy commented, dropping down in the sand next to my towel.

“Do I want to know?” I asked warily.

Jimmy grinned. “It’s nothing dirty. I was just determined to see you in a bikini before the end of spring break.”

“Oh.”

“Now, I did have this one dream—“

“She doesn’t want to know,” Matt interrupted, collapsing on the edge of my towel.

Jimmy pouted. “Fine.”

“Thank you,” I said to Matt.

“Just trying to get you home unscathed,” Matt said, eyes alight with amusement.

“Hey, Jordan!” Johnny called. “I wanna see a 'Baywatch' moment! Stand up and run towards me very slow.”

Jimmy glared at Matt. “And you think I’m the one she needs to be shielded from.”

“Oh, and try to bounce a lot,” Johnny added. Zacky burst out laughing while Brian smacked Johnny across the back of the head.

I shook my head. “I’m officially scathed.”

“I’m so sorry,” Matt said, trying not to laugh. “Do you need a hug?”

“No!” Jimmy pointed at Matt. “Keep your hands to yourself! You’re just trying to steal a feel.”

“I don’t have to steal anything,” Matt retorted.

“Guys!” I raised my hands. “Can we please not talk about anyone feeling me up?”

“Matt and I have to talk about it,” Jimmy said. “We’re the only two guys in the band who haven’t groped you.”

“Uh, hello? Johnny hasn’t.”

“Johnny doesn’t count,” Jimmy said, waving a dismissive hand. “He’s not a man.”

I gave Jimmy a dirty look. “Just for that, I should give Johnny his 'Baywatch' moment.”

“Or just let me and Johnny grope you,” Matt piped up. “Then Jimmy would be the only guy who hasn’t groped you. That could be his punishment.”

I turned my glare on Matt.

“It was just a thought,” he said. “Jeez.”

Brian, Zacky, and Johnny approached, each grabbing a beer from the cooler before situating themselves near Matt, Jimmy, and me. We sat in silence, watching the sun sink to the horizon, enjoying the cool ocean breeze.

I sighed, eyes on the water, which the sun had painted with a trail of fire. “I could stay here forever.”

“Yeah,” Johnny said softly. “It’s great, isn’t it?”

“I don’t know how you guys can stand it in Alabama,” I said. “It’s so…boring.”

“I don’t know,” Zacky said teasingly. “You and your friends made it pretty interesting.”

I giggled. “We do what we can. But how are y’all gonna stay entertained now that I’m not a bitch?”

“Stare at your boobs?” Jimmy suggested.

I swatted at him. “Jackass!”

“I don’t think we’re going to have a problem staying entertained from now on,” Matt remarked.

“My company is that good?” I joked.

“No, it’s just…” Matt trailed off.

“It’s just what?” I asked. Something about the way Matt was acting made my stomach begin to twist. When I looked at the other guys, and none of them would meet my eyes, my stomach skipped the twists and immediately clenched with nausea. “Matt? What’s going on?”

Matt reluctantly met my eyes. “We’re not going back to Alabama with you.”

I stared at him in shock for a long time.

“Jordan—“ he attempted, but I was already on my feet.

“I can’t believe y’all didn’t tell me!” I said shakily.

Before any of the guys could defend themselves, I ran off without a backward glance.

*****

“Jordan.” There was a light tap on the bedroom door.

“Go away!”

“Jordan, talk to me, please,” Brian said.

“I don’t want to talk to you.”

Brian opened the door and stuck his head inside. “You’re not going to throw anything at me, are you?”

I narrowed my eyes. “If I had anything heavy within reach.”

Brian stepped into the room and closed the door behind him. “We’re sorry.”

“Y’all should have told me.” I sat up and hugged my pillow to my chest. “You should have told me.”

“I can’t come back,” Brian stated.

Tears glittered in my eyes. “Why?”

“My dad is breaking down. He misses Mom,” Brian said sadly. “I can’t leave him alone.”

“Oh, Bri…” I got to my feet and went to him, sliding my arms around his waist. “I’m sorry.”

He hugged me close. “Me, too. Believe me, I’d much rather be back in Alabama with you. But my dad needs me.”

I stretched up and brushed a kiss across his lips. “I understand. I do. I was being selfish. I just don’t want to go back to the way things were before you guys came. Do you think any of them will come back?”

Brian shook his head. “No. They missed Cali so much. I don’t think they plan to ever leave again.”

I swallowed. “And you…feel the same?” I held my breath as I waited for his answer.

“I don’t know,” he said after a pause. “I’ve discovered that California doesn’t have everything a man could ever need.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really.” Brian cupped my face in his hands and kissed me firmly.

I smiled, but not like I was happy. “I knew it, you know.”

“Knew what?”

I laid my head against his chest, and he rested his chin on top of my head. “That you guys weren’t meant for Alabama. Y’all are too…different, amazing…beautiful.” I blushed.

Brian chuckled. “We think you’re beautiful, too.” He leaned back and looked into my face. “You know, we still have all night together.”

I quirked an eyebrow. “And how do you think we should spend that time?”

Brian smirked. “I’ll give you three guesses, and the first two don’t count.”

With a wicked smile, I slipped my fingers into the waistband of his swimming trunks and tugged him to the bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys know the drill. Five comments for the next chapter!

Thank you to all my readers, especially cookiepirate09, Kalei Gates, Valo.Vixen, and Ayla Gates.

Read, comment, and subscribe!