‹ Prequel: Masquerade

The Wolf In Me

03

I woke up late that Saturday morning. As I padded over to Tyler’s room I wondered what I would do today. I think mostly I’d just go out and go shopping. I needed a shopping day. Entering Tyler’s room I noticed that it was empty. I frowned wondering where he could have gone.

Going back into my room I checked my phone. Sure enough there was a message from Tyler.

Went to talk to Caroline. I didn’t want to wake you. You looked too beautiful

I found myself involuntarily smiling at the text message. He would always manage to do that, find some way to make me smile even when I didn’t want to. Getting dressed I grabbed my keys and headed out the door.

I was going to go grab some donuts and coffee. I’d come back to the house in a couple minutes. Tyler should be home by then. I hoped everything would go okay with Caroline. I hoped for Tyler’s sake, and for hers.

Image

Coming back into the house I heard the sound of voices coming from the sitting room. Recognizing one of them as Tyler’s I made my way to the room. Glancing in, I saw Tyler sitting with Jules on the sofa. Entering the room Jules and Tyler both look up at me.

“There are two of you?” asked Jules in shock glancing between both of us.

“Yes,” I answered slowly, hesitantly. “I’m Willow.”

“Nice to meet you Willow. I’m Jules,” she said and held out her hand for me to shake. Hesitantly I grasped her hand. I sat down on the couch next to Tyler and rested my head on his shoulder for comfort and protection.

“As I was telling Tyler, I think both of you should leave this town and come with us. It’s not safe here with so many vampires running around.”

“We’re managing fine, thanks,” I said, my tone a bit cold. For some reason this woman just rubbed me the wrong way. There was just something I didn’t trust about her.

“Well, how did Mason manage?” she asked. I felt Tyler stiffen beneath me. “Listen, I don’t want to argue with you. You’ve triggered the curse it’s important you learn what it means to be a lycanthrope, how to survive in this new world. We live by a code of loyalty. We take care of each other. It’s my duty and honor to help you, both of you. Please, let me.”

“We…we need some time to think,” said Tyler. He voiced my concerns perfectly. “Like I said before, I can’t just up and leave this place. It’s my home.”

“Okay,” said Jules rising. “But please, deeply consider my offer. I just want to help you.” Tyler also rose and showed Jules the way out. I stayed in the room waiting for Tyler to return. As he did I couldn’t help but notice how drained he looked.

“How did everything go with Caroline?” I asked. As soon as I asked I knew the answer.

“She lied. Everything Jules told me was true. She, Damon, and Stefan are vampires and she knew about Mason being dead.”

“Tyler, I’m so sorry,” I said grabbing his hand and squeezing lightly. Gently he squeezed back and pulled me to him. Gripping me in an embrace I never wanted him to let me go or this moment to end. Everything seemed right. Everything seemed to be okay.

As he pulled away he placed a soft kiss on my lips. “I’m going to go for a run,” he said. “Try and get rid of some of this…emotion,” he said having the lack of a better word.

“Okay. I’m going to go into town,” I said giving him a wan smile. Kissing me once again he went to his room. I sighed before grabbing the keys to the car Mrs. Lockwood had let me borrow. As I drove into town I wondered how I would find her.

True Mystic Falls wasn’t that big of a town but she could be anywhere. I drove around until I found her in front a coffee shop. She was just going in when I pulled up. Jumping out of the car I quickly made my way inside.

As soon as I did her eyes met mine. She was cautious and wary of me. No doubt she expected I had come here to cause trouble. But that wasn’t my intention.

“I just want to talk,” I said. I wanted to know why. I wanted to know what she knew.

“Alright,” she agreed reluctantly. I could see the hesitance in her eyes. We both got a coffee before sitting down across from each other. We had chosen a table outside, away from everybody else. Nobody needed to be hearing this conversation.

“I know Tyler told you,” she said once we sat down. “But I swear I didn’t mean any harm by it. I was just trying to protect both of you. There’s a lot you don’t know.”

“I know that, Caroline,” I said. By the shocked expression that composed her face for a second I knew she wasn’t expecting that. “Why would you risk yourself if you didn’t care? Tyler’s upset about his uncle. That’s why he lashed out at you.”

“I should have told him sooner. The look on his face… He was so betrayed. I just wanted to keep him safe.”

“Safe from what, Caroline?” At her guarded expression I said, “Caroline, I have a right to know. I’m a part of this world now. I should know what dangers come with it.”

“It’s Damon,” she let out in a breath. “He thinks that all werewolves aren’t to be trusted and should be killed. He’s afraid that if Tyler knew about him and Stefan or any of us, that he’d try and kill us. And if Tyler did something to anger him… Damon would kill him.” She said it all in one quick speech that I’m sure without my new hearing I wouldn’t have understood.

“We don’t want to hurt anyone,” I said shaking my head. “This is our home. We don’t want trouble or anything like that.”

“Try convincing Damon of that,” she said bitterly. “Werewolves and vampires are natural enemies. We’re made to hunt and kill each other.”

“I know,” I said nodding. “I felt the need to…kill you during the full moon. It was instinctual. But I don’t want that to define our relationship. I don’t want to be werewolf and vampire. I want it to be Caroline and Willow,” I said smiling at the cliché of it.

“I could see us becoming great friends,” said Caroline also smiling.

“Well, friend, I was planning on going shopping today. If you don’t have any other plans I would love for you to join me.” I stood up and threw out my now empty cup. Caroline did the same.

“Sounds perfect,” she said. We both left the coffee shop laughing.

Image

“Willow, where are you?” asked a worried voice on the other side of the phone. After a moment I recognized it as Jules.

“I’m out shopping. Why?” I put the shirt I was looking at back on the clothing rack.

“Tyler’s in trouble. We were hoping you knew where he is or if you were in danger too.”

“What?” I asked my body immediately going into panic. “I don’t know where he is. I was shopping all day.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll take care of him,” said Jules and then hung up the phone. I put the phone back in my pocket before finding Caroline in another part of the store.

“Caroline, I have to head home,” I said quickly. “Sorry to cut this short.”

“What’s wrong?” she said easily keeping up with me as I rushed to my car.

“I don’t know,” I said. I didn’t know what kind of danger Tyler was in. “I’m really sorry,” I said again. Then I was driving down the street towards Tyler’s house as fast as the speed limit would allow.

Pulling up to the house the place looked deserted. No lights were on and no cars were in the drive way except for Tyler’s. Shutting the car off I raced up the steps of the house and quickly unlocked the doors. Stepping into the house I strained my ears to pick up any noise, any sound.

I heard voices coming from Tyler’s dad’s study. Quickly and silently making my way over to the room I entered to see Stefan and Tyler talking. Tyler had clear resentment in his gaze. Stefan looked impatient and angry.

“What’s going on?” I demanded when neither of them looked at me. Quickly their gazes snapped to me.

“Willow, run!” said Tyler getting to his feet. Quickly Stefan was behind me and shutting the doors.

“Willow, have a seat near Tyler,” said Stefan. “I don’t want to hurt either of you. I just want to talk, make you see reason.”

“Stefan, what’s going on?” I asked him.

“I’ve been trying to talk to Tyler all day. I’ve been trying to make him see that Caroline only wanted to help and protect him. I want us to be able to live in the same town without wanting to kill each other.”

“I was with Caroline all day. Tyler, she—” I stopped as Stefan’s phone rang.

“Hey, is everything okay?” he asked. “Who is this?” he asked again a confused look on his face. “Jules,” he said comprehension dawning on his face. Both Tyler and I tensed. Unfortunately Stefan was in front of the doors and neither of us was stronger than him.

“Where’s Caroline?” asked Stefan. Immediately I could feel worry course through me. “Where is she?” he asked again. His tone had become serious, almost deadly. A huge contrast to the way he spoke to Tyler and I.

“What’s happening?” asked Tyler.

“Hurt her again and you’re dead,” threatened Stefan. Hanging up the phone Stefan looked at Tyler. “She wants you,” he said.

“What’s going on?” asked Tyler again.

“Jules has taken Caroline. We have twenty minutes now come on,” said Stefan and grabbed Tyler’s arm.

“Whoa, I’m not going anywhere with you,” resisted Tyler.

“I’m afraid you don’t have a choice.” He then pulled Tyler out of the room. “Willow, you stay here. I don’t need you getting hurt.”

I stood frozen as I watched Stefan drag Tyler away. So many thoughts and questions were going through my mind. What’s happening to Caroline? Where are they going? Is Stefan going to hurt Tyler? What’s going to happen when they get there?

After a minute of contemplating I followed Stefan and Tyler out making sure to remain hidden. I didn’t want Stefan forcing me to stay.