Status: A Brian Haner Jr Story. Active. Working on an update.

She's the Drug That I Need

Chapter 16

Brian couldn’t help but laugh as he watched his dad and Jenni together, his dad playing guitar, singing songs that he’d made up for her as she tried to sing along as best she could.
He shook his head, stepping out of the room as he pulled his ringing cell phone out of his pocket, smiling as he glanced at the name flashing on the screen.

“Hey baby.” He greeted Melissa. “How’s it going?”

“Hey, It’s okay I guess, just wish I didn’t have to do this on a weekend.” She replied with a sigh.

“I know, just think of all that double pay you’ll get in your wage check at the end of them month because of it.” he replied.

“Yeah and it’ll be good for my career, I know.” she said.

“It will. And you can’t tell me you’re not having fun in New York!” he replied. “You up to anything tonight?”

“Yeah New York is amazing and me and a few of the girls are going to see Rock of Ages.” She replied.

“Cool, sounds like fun.” He replied.

“Hopefully yeah, so what are you up to today?” she asked.

“Well, once Dad has finished polluting my daughters’ mind I’m going to take her to see the new Tinkerbell movie and something to eat.” He replied with a smile.

“Oh lord, is your dad singing her songs again?” she asked with a giggle.

“Yeah, he thinks he’s found a new genre for his next CD, Alternative nursery rhymes or something.” he replied with a roll of his eyes as Melissa laughed on the other end of the line.

“Okay babe, listen I’m sorry for the briefness of the call, but I’ve gotta get back to it.” she replied with a hint of resentment in her voice.

“Okay baby, have fun later, love you.” he replied with a smile.

“Love you too babe.” She replied before hanging up.

Slipping his phone back into his pocket, he walked back into his dad’s living room, “Okay princess, sorry to drag you away from your grampy but we’ve gotta go if you wanna see the film.”

“Okay.” she said sliding off the sofa as Brian senior placed his guitar down.

“See you again next weekend?” Papa Gates asked his granddaughter as he opened his arms to hug her.

“Yep.” She said with a beaming smile as she kissed his cheek.

“I’ll see you soon dad.” Brian said as Jenni slipped from his embrace, running over to her father and taking his hand.

“Later son.” Senior said with a smile.

With Jenni fastened securely into the car seat, Brian got into the drivers seat, putting the radio before he reversed out of the driveway. Before he could reach the end of the street, his phone rang loudly on the dash board in front of him.

His eyebrows dipped as he glanced at the screen, surprised by the caller’s name appearing on the screen. “It’s mommy.” he said as he pressed the button to answer the call, pressing the speakerphone button to keep both of his hands on the wheel. “Sarah?”

“Hey, um, I know I said you could have Jenni tonight, but is there any chance you can bring her home?” she asked, her voice quiet.

“Well, um, we were just on the way to the cinema.” He replied quietly.

“Please Brian.” she pleaded.

“Sarah, what’s wrong? I thought you were spending the night with Seth for your birthday?” he asked aware of the upset tone of her voice.

“Can you just bring her back? I promise you can have her for the entire weekend next week to make up for it. I just need her with me tonight. I don’t want to be on my own on my birthday.” she told him, Brian almost certain that she was close to crying.

“Where’s Seth?” he asked.

“Brian please.” She said with a sniffle.

“Okay, I’m on my way.” He replied, reaching over to end the call, before finding a place to turn around to head towards Laguna.

A little while later, Brian lifted a half asleep Jenni out of the back of his car and carried her up to the house. He let him self in, finding Sarah curled up on the sofa. She looked up as he walked in and he easily spotted the fact that she’d been crying.

“Go take your bag up to your room sweetie.” he said quietly.

“Okay.” she replied with a smile, slowly making her way up the stairs.

He watched her climb the first few stairs before walking over to the sofa, sitting on the opposite side of the sofa to her. “What’s happened?” he asked quietly.

“He’s stuck in Long Beach.” she said her eyes meeting his. “There’s a problem with the bar up there and he needs to sort it out, said he wouldn’t be back until the morning.”

Brian sighed, “There’s no way he can make it back to take you out?”

“Apparently not.” she said wiping a stray tear from her cheek. “That’s why I wanted you to bring Jenni back, I didn’t really want to be on my own on my birthday. but I’ll make it up to you I’ll”

“Don’t worry about it.” Brian replied with a smile. “You know, I was gonna take Jenni to the cinema and for food somewhere afterwards, the three of us could go if you’d like. That way I still get to spend time with Jenni and you’re not alone on your birthday.”

A small smile tugged at Sarah’s lips, “You know I’d like that.” she said with a smile as Jenni bounded back down the stairs.

“Are we going to see Tinkerbell now?” she asked with a beaming smile.

“We are and your mommy is gonna come with us if that’s okay?” Brian replied as she clambered up onto the sofa between them.

“You are?” she asked turning to face her mother.

“Yeah if that’s okay with you?” she replied, “I’ll go freshen up real quick.”

“Do you spoil her like this all the time when I’m not around to watch?” Sarah teased Brian as she watched Jenni tuck into her ice cream sundae.

“Not all the time.” He replied, “I’m pretty good with her now.”

“You’re fantastic with her Bri.” Sarah told him with a smile as the waitress appeared by their side. She looked up to see her holding a slice of chocolate cake, a lone candle lit on top.

“Happy birthday.” Brian said with a smile. “Sorry it’s not as special as what Seth would have made it.” he added as the cake was put down in front of her.

She smiled up at him, her eyes shining as they met his. “It’s been just as special as anything I would have done with Seth.”

“Make a wish mommy.” Jenni said with a mouth full of ice cream, drawing her mothers eyes away from Brian.

With a smile, she leaned closer to her cake, closed her eyes and gently blew out the candle.
When she opened her eyes she took hold of her fork and cut off a slice of cake and slid it into her mouth, a moan of pleasure escaping her lips.

“Nice?” Brian asked with a smile.

“Better than…” she paused looking over at her daughter, “well you know.”

Brian chuckled and nodded watching as she put another slice into her mouth. “Wanna try some?”

“Nah, it’s your birthday cake, it’s okay.” he replied holding up his hand.

“Oh go on, this slice is huge and you are the only one without dessert.” She said cutting off a mouthful and holding it out for him.

He opened his mouth, his head leaning forward to meet her hand, his eyes closing as the chocolate sponge hit his tongue. “See, it’s good isn’t it?”

Brian nodded as he swallowed the cake, Sarah watching as his tongue licked over his lips, making sure he’d had every last crumb. “I don’t know if I’d say it was better than…you know, but it’s close.”

“Probably depends on who you’re with.” Sarah replied with a wink and a smile.

Brian couldn’t help the smirk that fell onto his thin lips as he looked into her eyes, seeing the gleam in them that he hadn’t seen since she left Huntington. “You may have a point there.” he said as he watched her place another piece of chocolate cake into her mouth.

Licking his dry lips, Brian quickly diverted his gaze, looking over to Jenni who was still busily devouring her ice cream. “You enjoying that princess?”

She looked up at him, a moustache of strawberry ice cream above her top lip. “Yep, it’s yummy.”

“You having second thoughts about ordering something?” Sarah said as she took another bite of cake.

“No I think it’s best I don’t have anything else, Mel is starting to comment that I have man boobs.” He replied pulling his v-neck tighter over his chest, Sarah almost choking on her cake.

“You look okay to me.” she said reaching for her drink to take a sip.

Blushing Brian moved his arms back to the top of the table, “Thanks. Um, you ready for me to get the bill?”

“Yeah better had, it’s already coming up someone’s bed time.” She said glancing at Jenni as Brian signalled for the bill.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait and thanks for the patience.
Comments?