Status: Done :(

I've Been Waiting Such a Long Time for Someone to Come Along

XXXI

"Do you want me to bring your food into you, or do you want to eat at the table?" I asked John as I walked into my bedroom.

"I'll eat with you." He said as he turned the television off. He went to get up from the bed and I rushed over to him.

"Do you need help getting up?" I asked him as he cringed in pain.

"No, I'm good." He replied in a pained voice. "The stitches are just sore."

He rubbed his chest and started to walk towards the kitchen. I followed him cautiously until he sat down at the table.

"I made banana chocolate chip pancakes. They used to be your favorite." I said, giving him a half-hearted smile.

I set out forks and milk and put a few pancakes on my plate. I watched closely as he took the first bite of his.

"Mmm, these are so good!" He moaned.

I grinned, feeling satisfied, and started eating. As I was about halfway through my first pancake, he spoke up.

"So, that guy Garrett, he's your brother?"

"Yeah." I responded quietly with a nod. "We're not really on the best terms right now."

"Is it something I did?" He asked sadly, looking down.

"No! Not at all, cutie pie." I assured him. "He just has this habit of sticking his nose where it doesn't belong."

"What happened?"

I sighed and debated whether or not to tell him, but I figured I should be honest starting now.

"Well, I might as well just tell you everything because if I don't it won't make sense." I said with a nervous chuckle. "You and Garrett were really good friends and since I was his sister we saw each other a lot but you hated me. But then your brother was dating this awful girl and you really didn't want him to have this engagement ring,"

I showed him my left ring finger and he took my hand in his, looking at it closely.

"So you and I made this deal that I would pretend to be your girlfriend so you could get the ring and in return you were going to put the down payment on this restaurant for me. The next day I was upset about something and you sort of kidnapped me and took me to San Diego because you knew that I always wanted to visit the zoo there. We stayed in a hotel and then we went to the beach the next day. I fell in love with you that day. You were so sweet and caring that I couldn't not be in love with you. Then we got home and everybody was pissed that we were MIA for so long but you told them off. Then my ex tried to tell me that you just wanted to get in my pants and you beat him up. I had to bail you out of jail and clean your cuts. I acted like I was furious but it was actually one of the most rebellious and exciting things I've ever done. We made up and eventually we started to get all touchy feely with each other. We were in love but neither of us would admit it. Until I did, that is. We had sex and I told you how I felt afterwards and you didn't say anything back. Then you tried so hard to get me back. You told me that you loved me and I pretty much forgave. The day you got back from, er, a trip you proposed to get the ring because your brother was about to do it. Then you broke up with me." I said as I finished the long story.

"Wow...so why are you mad at your brother?" He asked slowly.

"He told you to break up with me. He planted this idea in your head that you weren't good enough for me and I guess you believed him." I explained, whispering the last part.

"Oh." He frowned. "I- I'm sorry that I put you through all that stuff. But we got back together and I proposed for real though, right?"

I was scared to tell him the truth but it was the right thing to do and I knew it.

"Um...no. I left a little while after we broke up. I just- I was worried so I had to tell the nurse that I was engaged to you." I told him.

He stayed silent for a moment and I started to get scared that he was angry at me for lying to him.

"So I put you through all of that and you still love me? I did nothing but break your heart and you're still in love with me?" He asked in disbelief.

"I... never thought about it like that. It's just that I love you and I don't think that's ever going to change. As much as you screw up, all the good things you do more than make up for all the bad things." I shrugged.

"You're incredible, Millie. I'm lucky just to know you." He replied sweetly as he held my hand over the table.

This isn't John that I'm falling in love with. This isn't my John. If I become attached to him then what's going to happen when he gets his memory back? Will I still feel the same way about him? Will he remember any of this?

"Are you okay?" He asked shyly, probably thinking he had creeped me out or something.

"I'm great." I grinned. "Here, let me get your plate."

I threw away the paper plates and put the forks in the dishwasher before returning to him.

I've endured heartache before. What's a little more gonna hurt?

"You should go back to bed now." I told him. "We can watch a movie. I think I still have one of your favorites..." I said as I looked around for the dvd I laid out earlier.

"Why are you getting me all of my old favorite things?" He asked as he stood up from the table and walked back to the bedroom.

"The doctor said it might help jog your memory." I answered.

"Oh. Okay." He nodded as he laid down on the bed.

I found the movie and walked into my room before putting in the dvd player.

Then I crawled into bed next to the familiar stranger.

"What's this called?" He asked as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder.

"Good Will Hunting. We watched it like a million times together." I chuckled as I snuggled into him.

"I see." He smiled before pausing awhile. "Millie, you're so beautiful." He whispered as he looked down at me.

My gaze met his and we started leaning in. Before I knew it I was kissing John again. Everything else about him might have changed, but his kiss felt the exact same way it did a year ago. He pulled away and his cheeks started to get red as he looked away.

"I'm so sorry. That was stupid. I shouldn't have kissed you, I know you probably-"

I didn't let him finish his rambling before I cut him off with another kiss.

"Don't apologize. It was perfect." I told him in a low voice.

He smiled and pressed his lips to mine again. I happily kissed back while the beginning of the movie started to play.

After sitting through the movie and sneaking a few more kisses, he finally fell asleep. The doctor said that the pain medicine he was on would make him sleep an awful lot, but I didn't mind. It gave me the chance to admire all of the creases and lines that had formed in his face since I'd seen him last.

It almost seemed like a dream, being reunited after so long. But I had to remember that he wasn't my John yet. Yet being the keyword.

My thoughts were cut off by a soft knock on the door.

I slipped out of John's grasp and out of the covers to answer it.

I pulled the door open and smiled at the friendly face.

"Hey Anna. Quiet, John's sleeping." I warned her in a hush tone.

"Aw, did you give him your bed?" She asked.

I simply nodded in return.

"God, you're too cute." She grinned. "I just came here to give you back this movie Stephen stole from you."

She laid the movie down on a corner stand and then took a seat on the couch.

"So tell me how this is going? Do you think he's getting his memory back?" She asked excitedly.

"I don't know." I shrugged as I started to blush. "Hopefully... And we kissed."

"You kissed!?!" She shrieked. "Why didn't you call me!?"

"Shh!" I exclaimed. "He's sleeping."

"Sorry." She apologized. "But spill!"

I went on to explain to her everything that happened and she was bursting with excitement.

"Millie I'm so happy for you!" She exclaimed sincerely as she gave me a hug.

"Me too. I've missed him so much."
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww.

Comments were amazing last time! Thanks so much!! I updated early because of y'all :)

Comment and subscribe!!