The Art Of Loving

Chapter Eight

I… I can’t breathe…

Why can’t I breathe?!


Bam looked over at Ville, who was gasping for breath.

“Ville? Are you okay?”

Oh shit, not now, not while they’re all watching me…

Not with Bam right here…


Ville shook his head, his eyes still closed. Tears began to roll down his cheeks.

“What’s wrong?”

Bam’s eyes were wide, as were his friends’. All of their attention was focused on the Finn.

“A… asthma,” Ville wheezed.

“An asthma attack?” Bam asked, growing even more concerned. Ville nodded. “Do you have an inhaler?”

The struggling boy shook his head. “H-home…”

It’s at his house… Where’s his house?

Bam realized that although he knew Ville lived near him, he didn’t know where the house was.

“We’ll get it, come on.”

Ville was pulled up, tears streaming down his cheeks now as he fought for the small amount of oxygen he could get. Bam rushed him to the car and the rest of the gang followed. Bam made no objection as he drove quickly towards their neighborhood.

“Where’s your house, Ville?”

I’m dying… Oh god, I’m going to die and everyone’s gonna be right there watching…

“Ville, sweetie, tell me where your house is.”

Ville grabbed a scrap of paper and a pen off the messy floor of Bam’s car and scribbled the address down. He hoped Bam could read the writing that he wasn’t even able to see; his eyes being too blurred from tears.

Bam stared at it and nodded.

“Can you find it?” Dico questioned him.

“Yeah, I know where it is.” Bam pushed on the gas even more so they were practically flying towards their destination.

Each second is just that much worse for Ville…

The skater slammed on the brakes in front of Ville’s house and they all jerked forward, the unrestrained Finn’s head smacking into the dashboard. Bam shut off the car and his eyes widened more as he saw Ville clutching his forehead.

“Oh… Oh, honey, I’m so sorry…”

Why… why is he calling me all of these sweet names?

Ville felt himself being pulled out of the car and helped up to the house. “Ville, tell me where the inhaler is.”

Ville tried to speak, but shook his head when the small amount of air he could get didn’t allow it.

“Baby, you have to tell me where it is.”

“They call each other baby?”

Dunn glared. “Shut the fuck up, Raab!”

Bam cupped Ville’s face in his hands and the door in front of them opened. A woman stood there, looking confused. She said a few words in Finnish and Bam felt a sudden panic.

What if she can’t speak English?

She spoke again with a look of concern after seeing that the scared boy was her son.

No, Mom, I’m not okay, actually. That’s why I’m gasping and crying and everyone around me looks like they’re afraid I might die.

“He’s having an asthma attack,” Bam explained, praying she understood him. Her eyes widened and she disappeared, returning with an inhaler. She held it to his lips and helped him take two puffs, speaking softly in the foreign language and stroking his hair. The boys stared; statues that waited for some sign of Ville being okay.

I can breathe… I can breathe again…

Now if only I can keep from passing out… Fuck, my head’s killing me…


“Ville?”

The Finn turned to Bam, whose eyes were shining as though he were ready to cry. “Yes?” Ville responded, his voice quiet, but it was all the proof Bam needed to know he was okay. He threw his arms around his new boyfriend, hoping he wasn’t driving all of the air that was finally in his lungs away.

“Dude… How’s your head?” Dico asked, knowing Bam had forgotten Ville’s face-plant in the relief.

“Oh, god, I’m so sorry about that, I wasn’t thinking,” Bam said quickly, pulling back and rubbing Ville’s forehead gingerly. Ville winced and gave a weak smile.

“It… It won’t hurt forever,” he answered optimistically.

Bam smiled cheerfully. “You’re breathing sounds much better.”

I love his smile…

“Ville?”

Ville blinked, blushing as he realized he’d gotten caught up in the beauty of Bam’s face.

“Oh… Oh, yeah, it is.”