Status: Story will be extremely slow updating. Sorry.

Sweet Child of Mine

Free To Be You And Me (part 1)

Cadence needed something. Talking to Bobby wasn’t enough. Grabbing her credit card, she went to an ATM and withdrew money. Bobby told her to find a vending machine and buy as many bottles of Root Beer or Seven Up as possible. Bobby hoped and prayed that this method would still work. Cadence bought four bottles of Root Beer and was able to make it back into the room.

Crawling onto one of the beds, she set the drinks around her and continued to cry. Her hand continued to press the phone to her ear keeping the sound of Bobby’s voice close. “Cadence… what happened? You were doing so well.”

She sniffed as she opened one of the bottles and said, “Dean didn’t want me going to the station with him if I wasn’t going to be focused.”

“Are you saying Dean did this?”

“He-He didn’t mean-”

“I’m sure he didn’t mean to, but he should have known better.”

Taking a long gulp of the carbonated drink, Cadence felt the sting as it went down her throat and gasped as she took the bottle away, “I can’t let her go.”

“I don’t meant to sound mean, Cay, but you’re going to have to. It’s the only way you’ll be able to get over it.”

Cadence took another drink and replied, “I’m afraid to, Bobby…. I-I can’t do it. I don’t want to forget.”

“Letting go doesn’t mean you’re gonna forget anything.”

Cadence nodded even though she knew he couldn’t see it. “I miss her so much, Bobby. I don’t know what to do anymore.”

Bobby didn’t say anything for a while, but managed, “I know how you feel, Cay. When my wife died, I though about dying with her… but I didn’t. Your mom and grandma came and helped me. They helped me find the meaning of life again, and dammit, that’s what I’m going to do to you.”

Cadence’s eyes watered at the sentimental words.

“You’re like a daughter to me, Cay. I watched you grow up and become the wonderful person you are, and one of the best hunters I’ve ever seen.”

“Thank you, Bobby.” Cadence sniffed as she wiped her eyes, “You’re a better father than my real one.”

Bobby paused then said, “Cay… we don’t know who your father is.”

“Right… makes you the better one.”

Bobby chuckled then said, “When Dean gets back, tell him I want to talk to him.”

Cadence swallowed the lump that formed in her throat and said, “Okay, but please don’t be too hard on him…. He has no idea how bad I am.”

“I’m not going to make any promises, Cay.”

“I know.”

Bobby sighed, “Finish the bottle you’re on, then lay down.”

“Thank you, Bobby. Sorry for… keeping you from your studies.”

“Trust me, kid. Anything other than the horsemen is a blessing.”

Cadence gave a small laugh and said, “Don’t work too hard.”

“I won’t.”

“Bye Bobby.”

“Bye Cay.”

Turning off her phone, Cadence picked up the bottle of Root Beer and finished it off, letting the drink sting on its way down, reminding her a little of the sting hard liquor had as she drank away her pain. Finishing the bottle, she sat it on the table next to the bed and moved to curl under the covers, crying softly as she fell asleep.

~

Dean woke her up a couple of hours later. Looking up at him she rubbed her eyes and asked, “How did it go?”

“It was okay. We have to move.”

Cadence nodded and sat up.

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah… I’m fine.”

“I’m uh… sorry. I didn’t mean-”

“It’s okay.”

“How was your call to Bobby?”

Cadence looked away then said, “He’s pretty upset.”

Dean sighed.

“I told him to take it easy on you,” she added, “You… don’t understand.”

He nodded. Looking at the bedside table he noticed the Root Beer, “Drinking aid?”

“More like a substitute. Bobby came up with the idea when I was heavy in alcohol.”

“Your mom’s pretty important.”

“She’s the only real family I had left. I mean… Bobby’s still here, but…. She was the only parent I’ve ever had.”

“Sam and I lost our dad a few years ago…. We were close, but it was strained.”

Cadence frowned, “I’m sorry.”

“Nah, it’s okay. I’ve let go… sort of.”

She nodded, “What did you learn?”

“That I’m not bound by my father; which allows me to continue to try and find myself-”

“I… was talking about Raphael.”

Dean looked at her for a moment then replied, “Right, yeah…. I knew that.”

Cadence smiled.

“Um… he’s here…. Cas found his vessel.”

“Okay?”

“And we have to leave.”

Cadence frowned, “Leave?”

“The motel.”

“Oh.”

“We need a house.”

“I’m sure we can find one….”

“Yeah.”

~

It took them a total of thirty minutes to find an old abandoned – and slightly large – house just past the outskirts of the town. Dean looked up at it and nodded, “Very Blaire Witch, don’t you think?”

Cadence looked over at him and replied, “I swear to god, if you stand in the corner of the basement, I will attack you with rock salt.”

Dean playfully frowned, “Not nice, Princess…. Not nice.”

“Princess?”

Dean got out of the Impala and said, “Goddess?”

Getting out, Cadence gave Dean a dark look, “Keep it up, Casey Jones… see what happens.”

“Did you just-”

“Yes I did.”

Dean took a moment to think about the reference. A smile crossed his face, “Radical.”

Cadence laughed as she grabbed her bag from the seat and made her way up the stairs to the porch. Stopping in front of the door, she looked at the frame and turned to Dean, “You might want to carve some witch repellent symbols in the door… demon ones too while you’re at it.”

“Why?” Dean came onto the porch, “It looks okay.”

“The house has been used in ritualistic manners.”

“You can tell that?”

“Dabbled in witchcraft, remember?”

“Yeah… stop reminding me.”

“Well, anyway, it attracts witches.”

“Did it attract you?”

“No….”

“Yeah, well that’s a start.”

Dean walked in and turned to watch as Cadence walked through the door, a cringe on her face. Standing in the foyer she looked around and said, “I don’t like this house.”

“We’re going to be here a while, so deal with it.”

“You got any Holy Water?”

“Yeah.”

“May I use it?”

“For what?”

“I’m going to bless this house.”

Dean reached into his backpack and produced a flask of Holy Water. He gave her a warning look to which she replied, “It’s an exorcism, Dean, the house is wrong. I don’t like it here, and I’m trying to fix it.”

Taking the flask Cadence left Dean alone while she went around the house, chanting the prayer. Dean took her bag and put it in a room with a couch and he sat down. Across from him was a book case filled with rotting volumes. Getting up, he looked at the titles and found, The Witches Handbook, Necronomicon, and Malleus Maleficarum. More books with Latin titles followed, and not being an expert like his brother, he was unable to translate their names. Dean picked up the Necronomicon and flipped it in his hands, looking at the covers. Carrying it with him, he sat down on the couch and started to flip through its yellowed pages.

A few hours later, Cadence walked into the room to find Dean asleep on the couch, the Necronomicon lying open on his chest. Taking the book from him, Cadence closed the cover and replaced it on the book shelf, letting her fingers brush the other bound books, the fraying canvas feeling rough on the tips. Walking back to Dean she nudged him and he woke up with a start yelling, “Jumanji!”

Giving him a weird look, she said, “I’m finished.”

Dean sat up and took the empty flask from her, “Where’s my book?”

“Back on the shelf,” she responded, “I didn’t want you to ruin it.”

Getting up, Dean looked at them and this time grabbed Malleus Maleficarum. He walked out of the room with it, finding Castiel in the main hallway.

“Where’ve you been?”

“Jerusalem.”

The sound of the angel’s voice drew Cadence into the other room. Dean gave a nod and asked, “Oh, how was it?”

“Arid.” Castiel walked over to a table that sat by a window and set an old jar he had on its surface.

“What is that,” asked Dean, looking at the old relic.

“It’s oil. It’s very special, very rare.”

“Great we can, ah, trap Raphael with a nice vinaigrette.”

“No.”

Cadence made her way over to the table, Castiel sitting in one of the two chairs. Dean stepped back to allow her to lean against the wooden surface.

“So this ritual of yours, when’s it gotta go down?”

“Sunrise.”

“Tell me something. You keep sayin’ we’re gonna trap this guy, but isn’t that like trapping a hurricane with a butterfly net?”

Cadence looked down at Castiel waiting to hear his response.

“No… it’s harder.” Castiel looked solemn.

“Do we have any chance of surviving this?”

“You do.” Turning to Cadence he added, “Probably both of you.”

Cadence frowned, “Probably?”

Dean paused, “So odds are you’re a dead man tomorrow?”

“Yes.”

“Wow.” Dean walked around Cadence and Castiel to the openness of the room, “Well last night on Earth. What ah… what are your plans?”

Castiel looked up at Cadence then back at Dean, “I thought I would sit here quietly.”

Dean looked at Cadence who was smiling and said, “Dude, come on, anything? Hm? Booze? Women?”

Castiel looked up at Dean then glanced at the floor nervously.

“You have been with a woman before, right… or an angel at least?” Both men looked up at Cadence.

Throwing her hands up and backing away, she asked, “Why are you looking at me?”

Dean looked back at Castiel and asked, “You mean to tell me you’ve never been up there doing a little cloud seeding?”

“Look, I’ve never had occasion, okay?”

Dean stood up, gave something a little bit of thought and said, “Alright.” Going over, he grabbed his coat, “Let me tell ya something, there’s two things I know for certain. One Bert and Ernie are gay. Two you are not gonna die a virgin. Not on my watch. Lets go.”

“What are you going to do, Dean? Take him down a deserted country road and help him yourself?” Cadence gave a sly smile as she crossed her arms.

“Do you wanna help?”

She frowned, “I’m not going to help corrupt an angel.”

Dean nodded, “Alright then. Enjoy your time alone. Find some candles, loosen up a bit. I have some lotion in my bag, just in-”

“Just leave, Dean.”

Giving her a smile he placed his hand on Castiel’s back and pushed him out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that I haven't updated in a while.
Hoped you enjoyed the update at least a little.

comments?

For those who don't understand the Necronomicon/Jumanji reference, watch this video please. :D
The Whitest Kids You Know: Nail Gun