Sequel: Remember Us

Before You Say I Do

Quattro

“wow.” Dakota says as I park the car next to the apartment. I look up and see the same place I spent most of my time at last time I was here in Italy.

“hey, I remember this place!” Finn exclaims.

I step out of the car and go to the back to get the bags, “me too.” I mumble.

Finn notices my down voices and steps behind me, “you going to be okay?”

I put on my best smile, “nope, but when is life ever really okay? Oh, and that’s the last time you get to ask that on this trip.”

Katie climbs out of the car and grabs her two bags with her. “this way.” She says, headed toward the stairs.

“boss calls.” I tell Finn and Dakota, “I’ll meet you guys up there.” Then I chase after my daughter and let her lead the way to the apartment.

I unlock the door and inhale deeply. The place smelled the same, a mix of cinnamon and vanilla. I toss my stuff into one of the rooms and then walk into the kitchen to get a glass for water.

“you thirsty Katie?” I ask.

She nods excitedly. I open the cupboard door and the instant I do I spot something that I thought would be long gone. A mug that I painted at this small shop down the street. Adams mug was right next to it and I grab them both. Mine was white with a black floral design on it. Adam on the other hand painted his pink on the outside and blue on the inside. My two favorite colors.

“can I have some tea mom?”

I laugh, “sure honey.” I know, how did I get my kid to like tea? I don’t know either, but it’s great. I put the pot on for water and then the other two walk in through the door. “what took you two so long?” I ask.

“we’re married. Enough said.” Finn answers. I left the master bedroom to them and they saw that instantly.

After tossing their bags into the room they walk into the kitchen where Katie and I were. “would you guys like some tea or anything?”

“hmm, tea sounds great.” Dakota says. I nod and pull out one of the plain mugs that were up there. “why don’t I get an awesome design on mine.” I look down at Katie who was distracted with the pattern on the floor and decide I could tell them.

I grab the two painted mugs and turn them over, showing Finn and Dakota. Their faces drop and I set the mugs down again. “It was our third date. We were walking downtown after lunch and I spotted this funky little paint shop. You can paint different items there and we thought it would be cool if we both painted a mug. So we did. I forgot to bring mine back with me as you can tell.”

The pot whistles and I pour hot water into the four cups. Handing one to each of them. I keep the blue and pink mug and give mine to Katie.

We all move to the living room and sit down in one of the seats. “so, what do you guys want to do?” I ask.

“it’s too early to go out really, but I slept on the plane.” Dakota points out.

“yeah, we all did. Jacqueline said there should be some movies under the T.V. actually, I remember exactly where they are. Should we watch something?”

“sure.”

I set my mug down and walk over to the draws next to the T.V. there was a wide selection of videos. Everything from romance, to comedy, to horror.

“Disney Cinderella?”

“yes!” Katie shouts.

“in Italian.”

She still nods. Nick had taught her some Italian before leaving Maine, along with Katelyn and me. so she’s well spoken to the least.

“Italian Cinderella it is” I pull the movie out and spot another set of videos underneath the top layer. My eyes widen when I see the title “Juliana on Martha Stewart.” I pull all the videos out on the top layer and look at what’s underneath. “Juliana on the Sheila Woods Show,” “Juliana on Good Morning America.” The list went on and on.

“Juliana?” Finn asks. I was frozen where I was, not wanting to turn around. “Julie?” he asks, cautious now. He was beside me and I wanted to push him away. I didn’t want him to see this, not at all.

“go away.” I whisper. I know he looked back at Dakota. I know that she took Katie into the other room. I know all of that but I still didn’t want to move.

Finn finally looks down and sees the videos. “oh no.” he mumbles. I stand up then, a thought rushing into my head. Finn follows my lead as I hurry into the master bedroom, pulling open the top draw. There it was, his clothes. Each draw wasn’t filled with them, but they were still there nonetheless. I walk into the master bedroom bathroom and notice a single toothbrush sitting there along with all his other supplies.

“what day is it?” I ask, determined now to figure out what was going on.

“um, Thursday. Thursday July, 2nd.” He replies.

“we can’t stay here tonight.” I tell him quietly.

“what?”

“we-we can’t stay here tonight.” I repeat.

“why?”

“It’s the second. He’s coming back. The sooner we’re out of here the better.”

Finn grabs my arm before I can leave the room and grab my stuff, “and where do you expect us to go?”

I pull out my phone and dial Nicks number.

“Julie?” he answers on the first ring.

“Nick, we’re all here, four of us, and need a place to crash for the night…”

---

Less than an hour after hanging up with Nick we were at his apartment. Since his roommates were out for the week, there was room for all of us to sleep.

“now will someone please tell me what’s going on?” Dakota begs for the millionth time. I didn’t want to talk about it on the car ride over.

“There were videos, at the apartment. Recorded ones of me on the different shows. His dresser was filled with clothes and there was still hygiene products in the bathroom. Adam was going to go back to the apartment today. Tonight.”

“and how do you know it would be tonight and not tomorrow or what-not.”

“Adam and I met today, at Despitas about half a mile west of here. “

“Hey!” Finn exclaims, “I remember that night. He called and told me that-” Finn abruptly stops talking.

“anyways, he hasn’t moved on. Marrying Stephanie is to get back at me in a way. He’s marrying the type of girl I hate. Actually, he’s marrying the girl I hate.”

“so you’re saying he still loves you?” Dakota concludes.

“yes.”

“and what are you going to do about that?”

an idea pops into my head. “I’m going to dye my hair blonde.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, this chapter is pretty crappy and short. I'm adding chapter five up now in a couple seconds to make up for it.
message.befriend.comment.
<3 justrealizelife