Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter six

“So um, sorry in advance if I’m a horrible host tonight. But this has sprung upon me.” I said to T.K.

Mum and Nancy were having a cup of coffee out in the lounge room, so T.K. was in my room helping me unpack.

“I was there. Must admit, it was a little awkward. So it’s going to be you, Matt and I tonight huh? Bit of an odd combination.” T.K. smiled.

“Maybe we should have a party.” I joked.

T.K. froze, as if in concentration and then put the box he was carrying down.

“It’s not a party, but is it okay if I invite Kari? It might be a bit more…fun if she’s there. The more people, the less awkward right?” T.K. asked.

From the way he asked, I could tell one of two things. Either Kari was now his girlfriend, or he really liked her. He jumped at any chance of possibly inviting her, as if he had been waiting for the right time. He also had a slight blush on his face, and looked like a nine year old kid asking his mother for sweets.

“Are you guys now together or something?” I smirked.

“No! Of course not! We’re best friends!” He quickly defended.

Yep, kid has it baaaaaad.

“Okay then. Sure, invite Kari. You can even invite Tai if you want, the more the merrier. If Tai goes I’m sure the chances of Kari coming along are higher.” I offered.

T.K. froze once again, and was giving me a weird look. It was as if he was studying my facial features to see if I was being serious or not. Realising I was, he spoke up.

“Are you serious? Why would you agree to that? One of my biggest memories from that camp besides our adventure was what you and Tai went through. Constant teasing, constant insults and just constant harassment towards each other. You both HATED each other.” T.K. stated.

“That’s true. But we were twelve. I’ve matured, and I’m sure Tai has. I’m willing to start fresh with him, and it would be kind of nice to all catch up.” I replied.

“T.K! Ready to go?” Nancy shouted from the living room.

“JUST A SEC MOM!” T.K. shouted back.

He then turned back to me.

“I’ll text Kari back on the drive home. Can I have your number? That way I can inform you if she and Tai are coming when she texts back.” T.K. asked.

I said nothing as I passed him my phone, and he passed me his. We quickly entered each other’s numbers and passed our phones back.

He smiled and said bye as he bounded out of my room.

I took this opportunity to now admire my room, now the most important of my things was now unpacked. The room was moderately sized, perhaps a little smaller than my room at home. The room was a boring coloured white – something I wouldn’t be able to touch since this house was rented. Maybe I could cover it with posters?

My bed wasn’t too bad; it was one of those beds that had wheels, a very simple base and just a mattress on top. No headboard or anything at my feet. It was good, it means that my bed wouldn’t creak whatsoever and I could easily move it around. My mother had given me two pillows, with light blue pillowcases and light blue sheets to match. I also had a thick cotton doona, with a cover over it that was white and purple.

The other furniture in the room was modest. There was an old bookshelf next to my bed, a tiny portable TV on a TV stand, a clotheshorse next to the window (We lived in an apartment, so we had no clothing line) a portable fan next to my bed and an old looking corkboard. There were no bedside tables or drawers.

However, when I opened the cupboards I noticed something in them. Drawers in the cupboards. They were hanging by the pole in my cupboard, and had plenty of space for all my clothing, as well as other belongings.

I was proud of my mother. She had done well for such a modest budget. She had obviously worked hard this summer to afford all of this stuff, and she’d have to work hard in the future as she told me she took out a few loans to pay for some belongings.

I couldn’t believe my father wouldn’t even pay for some of MY stuff. Not paying for her stuff was pretty bad and selfish, but not paying for his own daughter’s stuff was despicable. He can have fun with the bimbo eighteen year old.

As I got my laptop out and began to check facebook, Mum came in.

“So um, I guess you’ll need to go to the supermarket to buy food for tonight. Do you want me to drive you there or do you want to go explore the area? It’s about a 5 minute walk down the road, you shouldn’t get lost.” Mum asked.

I thought about it for a few seconds. I probably should look around and get to know the area well, and I didn’t want Mum hovering over me as I buy food.

“Yeah I think I’ll get to know the area.” I smiled.

Mum sent me a smile back as she handed me the cash, and claimed she was going to run some errands for a while.

I decided I should probably get changed; I wore only track pants on the flight to be comfortable. Besides, if I got changed now it means I wouldn’t have to later.

I got changed into a black tank top, and a white skirt that flowed down to my knees. I thought there was no point in taking a shower as I had taken one before my flight, but I took my hair out of it’s ponytail and gave it a quick straighten. I then also applied a little make-up.

Checking my reflection and seeing I looked okay, I packed my purse and got ready to head out.

Mum said the supermarket was five minutes up the main road, so it should be easy enough to find.