Status: semi active

Would You Believe Me If I Said I Didn't Need You?

Chapter seven

Mum helped me get ready for the dinner. She put out a tablecloth and some cutlery, and got everything ready for me. However she had to get ready for her ‘big night’ and couldn’t help me cut up vegetables.

I rolled my eyes. She was old! She should only take ten minutes to get ready!

So I cut up all the meat and vegetables myself, and had it on low so the food and rice would cook slowly.

Mum walked into the kitchen whilst putting on some earrings.

“Nancy shall be here soon. She’s driving Matt and T.K. here, and then we’re going in a taxi to our venue. Matt and T.K. are welcome to spend as long as they want here, and Nancy has left them some cab money to get home.” Mum explained.

“Cool. Um, is it okay if T.K.’s friend, Kari comes? I invited both her and her brother Tai, but apparently Tai couldn’t make it.” I asked mother.

“Well of COURSE! You need to make more friends; we don’t want you to be locked up in your room all the time like how it used to be. But Tai, isn’t that the kid that you hated at that summer camp?” Mum grinned.

“Yes Mum, but I’m taking your advice. I’m trying to make new friends.” I sighed, but then showed my Mum a silly grin.

“Good girl.” Mum said patting my shoulder as the doorbell rang.

She let out a squeal and a clap as she ran to the door to answer it. I just shrugged and continued stirring around the meat. I had already freshened myself up before I commenced cooking.

However, I did put the spatula down as I decided to mess up my hair a little to give it some volume.

I then thought about what I should do as I heard my mother greet T.K., Nancy and Matt, and could hear her getting introduced to Kari. Should I go out there and say hi, or wait until they come into here?

My curiousity of how Matt and Kari look now got the best of me so I stepped out of the kitchen and into the lounge.

It was there that I set my eyes on them, and they set their eyes on me. Surprised with how different I was, they both stared at me wide eyed like a deer caught in headlights.

Kari had changed the most obviously, as she was younger than both Matt and I at summer camp. She had gotten taller, and had grown her hair out just a little bit, but clipped her bangs behind with a pink clip. Her facial features were still the same, and she still wore the same colour combination.

Matt was a lot different too, though. He had grown his blonde hair out, and it was quite long for a guy. His facial structures had changed a little bit as well. His fashion sense was now quite conservative, he was wearing a green blazer over a white business shirt, and some plain grey pants.

“Hi guys.” I nervously stated.

“Well won’t this be a fun evening!” Mum chimed in, in an attempt to break up the awkwardness that was clearly apparent.

I just gave a very forced smile and nodded in order to please Mum and get her to leave. Kari followed my actions. T.K. stayed silent, whilst Matt gave a smirk. Urgh.

“Um, ready to go?” Nancy nervously smiled, in an attempt to move the evening along.

“I sure am. You kids have fun tonight, you’re all welcome to stay over as late as you’d like.” Mum smiled, as her and Nancy scampered out the door, giggling as if they were schoolgirls.

“Well, I think we can already guess that their night will entail a lot of alcohol, and pretending they are a lot younger than they really are.” Matt sniggered.

I let out a small giggle, and Matt and I made eye contact for a moment. We also both smiled at this.

“Scar I must admit, you look amazing! Not that I didn’t expect you to change, that camp was six years ago. But I bet you have guys flocking all over you!” Kari exclaimed, sounding genuinely impressed.

“Apparently she prefers Scarlett now, instead of her old nickname of Scar.” T.K. announced.

Before I could give a comeback, Matt spoke up.

“That’s good. I think Scarlett is a beautiful name, and it should not be hidden underneath a nickname.” Matt smiled.

Wow, this guy got smooth. Back in summer camp he was just a quiet yet responsible loner kid. Now he has some good lines up his sleeve.

I smiled back, but chose not to reply.

“So um, for dinner I’m making a stir fry. It’s got chicken, with lots of vegetables and brown rice. It’s not completely boring, but it’s very healthy.” I replied, unsure of how to create conversation.

“Sounds great!” T.K. and Kari said in unison.

“It sounds very good, Scarlett. Would you like any help at all?” Matt asked me.

“Oh uh…I don’t need any, but thanks for offering. Mum helped me before she left. You guys can um, watch television or something whilst I finish dinner?” I offered.

“Thanks.” T.K. said, jumping onto the couch and taking the remote. Kari only sent a warm smile as she joined T.K.

“I feel bad not doing anything. You’re cooking us all dinner, and entertaining us for the evening. There must be something I can do?” Matt asked.

“Um…I bought some Cola and it’s in the fridge. Maybe you’d like to get it out, get four cups and pour it out?” I suggested, the only thing I could think of.

“I can do that.” Matt smiled, following me into the kitchen.