Status: Kind of new, tell me what you think, and i will post more! Comments and feedback are MORE than welcome :D

Belle of the Boulevard

The Great Escape

“You’re all packed?”
“Yup”
“Are you sure you have everything? Did you double check the list I printed off your you last night?” She stood behind me, peering over my shoulder at said list.
“Oh, is tweezers on there…? I cant remember if I-”

“MOM. Please take a chill pill. They’re good for you” I said clasping my hand on her shoulders. “Yes I have everything, yes I double checked, no, tweezers were not on there, but whatever I don’t have I can just buy when we get there. They do have Wal-Marts you know.”

She sighed, running both her hands through her graying brown bob. Then quickly jumping back into Concerned Mom Mode she crossed her arms over her sensible cream cardigan and looked me in the eye.

“Now lets go over this one more time. Elle’s grandma is okay with all of this?”
She asked, sweeping her arm across my chaotic half-packed room.

Everything that I’d be needing for the next few months was either stuffed into my single plaid-checkered duffel bag, or securely tucked away in the black messenger bag slung across my body.
It suddenly seemed entirely too hot in this room. My tank top was already sticking to my back and my shorts felt too stiff. I was feeling claustrophobic and it was time to get out of this house. Mom stood watching me squirm carefully, one eyebrow raised, waiting for my answer.

“Uhh, you tell me. You’ve spent more time talking to her last week than I have in my entire life” I unwisely retorted.
Which was true. Ever since I had carefully sprung the idea to her, she had been in constant contact with Elle’s grandma. On the phone, email, letters. It was a bit extreme, really.

I leaned against my recently bare dresser, running my hands on the smooth wood. I could feel my face getting flushed, and red so I reached into my pocket for the folded-up list and fanned myself with it frantically.
My mother’s eyebrow raised higher (if possible) on her forehead.
“Aimsley Ann Coleman, do not smart-ass me. Even though you’re eighteen, I can still make sure that this trip does not happen for you” She leveled me with a glare.
“Just answer the question.”
I threw my hands up in surrender.
“Yeah I guess she’s fine with it”
Lie
“Ok, and she’s going to be there the whole time? No weekend trips or overnight stays?”
I pushed my now sweaty bangs off my forehead. Why was it so dagum hot in here? I checked my watch. It was already 12:30. Damnit Elle, why couldn’t you be on time just this once?

“Aimsley? Hello?!” She squinted at me. “Did you hear me?”
“Um yeah. Sure. She’ll be there” I mumbled, scuffing my Converse together.

Bigger lie.

“And remember, NO alcohol, right?” Her eyes seemed to pierce my soul and I swear the walls were closing in on me. Suddenly it all got to be too much. I turned on my heel and fast-walked out of my room.

“Of course not!” I yelled as I bounded down the stairs to fresh air (hallelujah!)

Lies, all of them.

Downstairs in the foyer was a billion times cooler and unobtrusive. I breathed a sigh of relief as I carefully lowered myself down to a step, leaning my cheek against the cool, polished wood of the banister.
I checked my watch again, anxiously. Where the hell was she? Elle was probably at Planet Smoothie bullshitting around, and flirting with the cute Banana Hat Guy (and for the record, she thought his nose was too big) while I sat at home, being miserably interrogated.

I could hear my mom coming down the stairs after me. She stopped and lowered herself down next to me.

“Honey, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make it seem like I don’t trust you, its just that you’re my baby and I want you back in one piece.” I smiled

“I know, and you have nothing to worry about. I’m a big girl.” I said squeezing her shoulder.

She opened her mouth to say something else, but the doorbell rang, cutting off her words. It was Elle, finally, and it was showtime.

I opened the door for her and saw that she DID go to Planet Smoothie, that sonofabitch, but at else she remembered to get me a Road Runner, my favorite drink.

We loaded up my bag into her red Jeep Liberty, and Elle indiscreetly walked away to start the car, giving me and Mom some privacy.

She hugged me for what seemed like ages, then kissed my forehead.
“Bye Mom, see you later” I called running backward to the car, where Elle awaited patiently.
She lifted her hand and waved frantically. “You girls drive safe! And call me when you stop!”
“Yes ma’am!” Elle called back politely, her voice sugary sweet.
In her white peace sigh tee, yellow shorts and blond pigtails she looked even more innocent than she sounded. Which is complete bullshit. I saw through her façade, even though (thankfully) my mom couldn’t.

We started to back out and my mom was waving so hard, it was like the Liberty was the Titanic going out for its last voyage. And my god, we were drawing a crowd. All the elderly people on my street, who all liked to follow the same unwritten schedule by the way, were all sitting in their rockers on their porches, reading novels or knitting, were all now staring at us. Some had even begun to get up (slowly…so slowly) to get a better look. Nosy bastards, stop staring!

I gave Elle the cue and we finally rolled down the street, out of sight.
I dropped my hand, feeling as though we’d come back from a war well won. Elle immediately started trying to find a good station, and cranked the volume as a popular pop song blared through the speakers.

“Elle! We’ve barely made it out the neighborhood! You’re gonna kill my neighbors!” I cried reaching for the volume knob half-heartedly. She swiped my arm away playfully.

“Aims, RELAX! Look at us! We got through your mom, we got nothing to worry about now. We’re smooth sailing, baby! Canada her we come!” She crowed slipping on her big movie star shades, and letting down her hair as we pulled up to the highway. “But, like, you’ll never guess who’s number I got.” Elle’s eyes twinkled mischievously behind her glasses. And I threw my head back, groaning.
“Fuck you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This whole Mibba thing is pretty new to me, as is publicly posting my stories for all to see, so feedback would be greatly appreciated. If you enjoyed this chapter, just tell me and i'll post more! :D