Status: I'll update pretty fast...if you want?

You Don't Have to Be Alone

Chapter Two

Parker POV

I lay there for what felt like forever. No one was going to help me. They never did.

"Hey! Why are you on the ground?"

Maybe I spoke too soon. Once they recognize me though, they'll just leave me here. Shut up, I'm entitled to a little self pity right now.

"You sleeping? That's not a good place to sleep. You might get footprints on your back."

Who the hell was this idiot? I groaned.

"Are you upset about something? When I can't get my locker opened sometimes I just lay on the ground until someone helps me, but I don't think that would work now because there's no one in the hall now except me and you and I can't even open my own locker, so I doubt that I can open yours. I can try though, if you want. Wait just a gosh darned minute! Is that BLOOD! How'd that happen? Hold on. I'll take you to the nurse."

The ground disappeared out from under me and I was suddenly in the overly friendly stranger's arms. "P-p-put m-me d-d-d-down," I pleaded, barely audible.

"Not unless you suddenly develop the ability to walk without my help. I'm not going to hurt you. You look like you got into a gang fight. What happened? Oops. I'm being nosy. You probably want me to shut up. But rest assured. I will interrogate you later."

I rolled my eyes. It was just my luck to be saved by a psycho. "N-no n-n-nurse," I whispered, feeling vulnerable just talking to someone I didn't know.

"You don't want to go to the nurse?" He asked, sounding like he thought he'd heard me wrong.

I nodded slightly, getting tired of having to repeat myself.

"Well…I guess there's no point in arguing with you," he said, reluctantly.

I nodded again.

"I'll just have to take you to the bathroom, then." He carried me to the bathroom and set me down on a sink. Next thing I knew, he was wiping off my face with some paper towels. I jumped off the sink, but sank to the floor when the world spun. He caught me easily, and put me back on the sink. "You shouldn't be jumping around like that. I think you might have a concussion.

I held out my arm that had been hurt when I was thrown to the ground and, meekly, waited until he'd finished washing off the blood.

"My name's Ainsley Silver," the stranger told me. "What's yours?"

I looked at him, doubtfully. Could I trust him? I mean he seemed nice and all. He's way cheerful. That's for sure…although, I am not sure whether that's something that should make me trust him, or doubt him all the more. "Well fine then. Don't tell me," Ainsley said childishly.

I cocked an eyebrow. "P-p-p-p-parker," I stumbled through my words, making me blush redder that I ever have before.

"You CAN talk," he squealed, hugging me, happily.

What is it that makes me people want to squeal and hug me? I pulled away giving him a 'What in the world are you doing?' look. He smiled, apologetically. "Sorry. I guess I'm a little overbearing."

You think? "Anyway…You think you're ready to go to class now? Can you help me find my class? I'm new…but, I guess you already knew that." He looked sheepish.

I almost smiled at him. Stupid, Parker! You don't even know him!

He smirked a little at me and said, "I bet you have a cute smile." I couldn't have been more red. I flinched away from him. Argh! My creeper radar is going off like crazy! He blinked and went back to his usual, weird self. "Come on," he said, taking my hand and pulling me, gently, off of the sink. "I've got English, first, with Mrs. Johnson. It's an AP class," Ainsley told me, modestly.

I nodded, yet again, pointing to myself.

"You're in that class, too?" Ainsley asked, trying to decipher my sign language. Actually, it was kind of interesting that he was bothering to try to understand me at all. Most people don't care enough to.

I guess I owe him enough to take him to his class. I led him down the hall until I paused outside the evil, old hag's classroom. I glared at the door, wishing it would burst into flames.

"It can't be that bad," Ainsley scoffed, but I could tell he was trying to reassure me. He opened the door and we walked in. "Detention! Mr. Eventide (That's me, in case you didn't notice.), I will not tolerate you waltzing into my classroom twenty minutes late!"

I nodded and slunk to my desk in the back.

"Ma'am, it's not Parker's fault. He showed me around the school. That's why we're late." I looked up surprised as Ainsley defended me.

Mrs. Johnson looked a little dazed that anyone would even think to help me. "Well, I guess you don't have detention, but don't be late again," she said with her meanest glare. I knew what she really meant was if you do anything wrong, I will not hesitate to give you detention for the rest of your natural life.

I lowered my eyes, trying to ignore her.

"The only open seat is next to Mr. Eventide." She said this as if it were a great tragedy. To her and the rest of this tiny town it probably was. I sat alone in all of my classes, except the three I had with Kelsey.

I spaced out for the rest of class, not listening when Ainsley tried to talk to me. I didn't need to get into MORE trouble.

As the bell rang, ending what felt like the longest period of my life, I snatched Ainsley's schedule out of his hands.

"You're not going to run off with it, are you? Ainsley asked, nervously.

I shook my head with a raised eyebrow. Crap! He really is in almost all of my classes. Note to self: find out where Kels actually gets her information and NOT use it for evil. I should probably show him to class. Kels is in my next class, so I can show off that I'm following her orders. For my body's sake, I'd better make it very obvious. I pointed to the schedule and then to myself.

"Lead on, then," Ainsley chirped. I took him to our second period class (Geometry. Another AP class.). I barely got in the door before I was attacked by the familiar, fluffy, blonde thing.

"Oof!" I groaned.

Ainsley looked upset for some reason. "This is your girlfriend?" He asked, dejectedly.

"Hell no!" Kelsey screeched, making gagging noises and went into fake convulsions, while I flushed red. Why would he care?

She sobered up real fast. "You haven't told him?" She asked.

I narrowed my eyes in a way that she knew meant 'Why don't I just get a T-shirt that advertises it?'

"You're right, I guess," Kelsey sighed. "It's not like he won't find out, though," she pointed out, irritating me with her spontaneous bursts of common sense.

I nodded, wondering why telling him bothered me so much. I normally don't care what other people think…That is unless I trust them. It takes me months to trust people; sometimes years.

Ainsley was confused. I could tell he didn't like being left out of anything.

I nodded at Kels, gesturing that she could tell. "Parker's my little gay friend!" Great. Thanks. Remind me never to let Kels explain anything. Now he's going to yell at me and tell me he never wants to see me again and hit me and become Craig's other best friend and my whole life will continue to suck-Whoa! I think that's enough self-pity for one day. Why wasn't he saying anything? Probably too shocked. Come on. Just kill me already. I have things to do.

Just then, Ainsley smiled at me and pulled my chin up so that I had no choice but to look up into his eyes. "Me too," he whispered.

Me and Kelsey looked at him in shock. "Aww! You and Parker should definitely go out! That'd be adorable! What if you started dating and, like, got married-" I blushed, running to my desk and burying my face into my arms. I cannot believe she just suggested I marry a stranger! Maybe she just doesn't want to deal with me anymore…I knew this wasn’t true, but I couldn't stop the feeling of despair. I doubt Ainsley would date me anyway. Wait! I must really like this whole self pity thing. I don't know why I randomly started caring if stranger want to go out with me. I don't want to go out with him.

Ainsley and Kelsey sat on either side of me and I noticed in my peripheral vision that Ainsley was a little pink, too. Just great. He's probably disgusted with the idea of going out with me. I know I would be, if someone asked me to go out with me. They tried to talk to me, but had to stop after a moment because Mr. James (Who is ten thousand times worse than Mrs. Johnson.) walked in and called the class to order.

I kept my head down, resigning myself to sleeping through another class. A folded piece of paper flew onto my desk. I glanced over at Ainsley. He nodded at me and made an gesture that said 'Open it.' After a moment, I did. It read:

Parker, Don't be embarrassed. Why won't you talk to me? You haven't really said anything to me all day. Did I do something to make you mad? I didn't mean to freak you out or anything. Ainsley

I paused for a moment before writing back. My letter looked like:

Ainsley, You are the strangest person I have ever met. Kels is the second most. That's okay, though, I guess. I'm not angry with you, but don't hold your breath for me to talk. I barely talk to Kels and Kasey. I don't want to talk to you-Parker

I passed the letter back to him and heard him snicker as he read it. He shoved the note back to me.

Parker, I like that you think I'm weird. Lots of people do, but no one else is as blunt as you are. Maybe it's because you don't care, but I don’t' think that's right. I think you're testing me. I hope I passed. Who are Kels and Kasey? I think you should talk more. Your voice is adorable. And now (drum roll please) I will again ask you who hurt you. You can tell me, even if I am just some random stranger. Maybe it's better to tell a stranger? No one should hurt you. :( Ainsley

I was tempted to roll my eyes at how much this letter sounded like a abuse hotline slogan. "No one should hurt you." Yeah right. What would people around here do if they didn't have me to beat up. They'd have to take up a new hobby, like…knitting. Can you imagine Craig knitting? I can't either, so I guess things will be staying the same. I sighed and took another look at the note.

This letter asked what I didn't want to answer, but since he was…like me, he should probably be warned about what could (or more likely will) happen to him, if he stays here.

A: Psychoanalyzing my letters is a little odd, but eh, whatever. Kels is my GIRLFRIEND  and Kasey is her older brother. And adorable? I don’t think so. To answer your more serious question, some losers kicked my ass. Do you really have to ask why? If I were you, I would convince my parents that to move as far as possible from here. Partly so no one hurts you, but mostly so I don't have to talk to you-P
I didn't want to give this one to him, but I knew it was the right thing to do. He should have more sense than to ruin his reputation the first day here by talking to me. It's better it he hates me. I slid it back to him. He looked sad and a bit…angry? He gave me the note back with a little more force than necessary.

P: No one should be hurting you. Tell someone. And I don't live with my parents. They threw me out ten months ago when they found out about me being gay. Best thing that ever happened to me. There's no way I'm leaving. I dare those bigots to try to mess with me.-A

I smiled and felt oddly relieved and more worried at the same time.

A: Just because they shouldn't be hurting me doesn't mean they'll just stop. I think you're underestimating them. You are going to be in deep shit, if you keep talking to me. Kels and Kasey have it as bad as I do, just because they talk to me. On another note, I don't live with my parents either.-P

I didn't know why I was telling this-this stranger anything about myself. I didn't trust him. But, I did.

P: What class do you have next 'cause this one's over in ten…And I'm still going to talk to you no matter how much it irritates you. I've got no problem announcing my sexuality, if that's why you don't want to talk to me. You're not going to get me in any trouble that I'm not going to get myself in-A

A: Me and Kelsey have photography. I doubt that you do, but Kels wants me to show you to your next class.-P

P: Thanks, I guess?-A

A: Since you seem determined to ruin your social life, do you want me to show you to your classes for the rest of the day? Kels says that we have most of the same classes. Don't ask me how she knows that because when I asked her she started talking about ninjas and I don’t even know what else. She'll be even more pleased if you have lunch with us, but if you don't want to, she'll get over it-P

P: That'd be great! Are we still talking about Kels though and not you?-A

I chose to ignore that as the bell picked that moment to ring. I dropped him off outside Wood Shop. (Which immediately made me nervous. From what I know of him, he'd probably leave the class with a few less fingers than he'd walked in with.)

I ran across the school, barely making it in the door before the bell rang. Kelsey, being the lovable idiot she is, yelled, "Safe!" the second I got in the door. I rolled my eyes, which I think is becoming a habit, and sat next to her. Another note was in front of me.

Parkiboo: Sorry about earlier. :C <3 Kels

Kels: It's okay, and no stupid nicknames. We've talked about this.-Parker

Parker: Well, fine then. I'll just be boring and call you Parker. :D This is how happy I was when I found out you'd forgiven me for my horrendous crime of embarrassing you. See last class. Onto the next piece of business. What were you and, um, that scrumptious boy talking about?<333Kelsey

Kelsey: What me and Ainsley were talking about isn't any of your business. You're the one who made me talk to him, not what we talk about. And scrumptious is a word for food, not for people-Parker

Parker! Were you talking about sex?-Kelsey

Kelsey!!! No! Get your mind out of the gutter!-Parker

Parker: Bunnies?-Kelsey

K: No! Stop guessing.-P

P: Never! Me?-Kels

K: A little bit.-P

Parker: Telling your lover how fabulous I am? -Kelsey

K: I'm ignoring you.-P

The rest of the class passed with me pretending not to notice the ever-growing stack of notes on my desk and Kelsey quietly singing 'Baby Come Back.' By the time the bell (mercifully) rang, I was out the door and sprinting towards Ainsley's class.

I collided with him as he left. "Running towards or away from something?" Ainsley questioned, picking us both off the floor. Such abnormal questions from this boy. "Fr-from K-k-kels," I murmured, almost soundlessly.

I pulled the notes out of my pocket, keeping the one about sex to myself of course, and gave them to him. I discretely checked him over for the missing fingers I'd expected from his woodshop. He snickered as he read through the letters, while we walked to the Science portables. (The Science rooms were separated from the rest of the school when Kourtney accidently set fire to them when she was in the ninth grade, like me, Kelsey, and Ainsley are now.) Biology and Psychology (Yes; I know that psychology is a weird high school class.) flew by and before I knew it, he was dragging me to the lunchroom.

"I can smell the food from here," Ainsley whined, trying to get my short legs to move as fast as his nine feet long ones.

I watched in amusement as he bought three lunches as opposed to my one, that Kelsey would probably eat most of. We sat down at a small table in the back. Kasey ran up to us, happily, screaming, "Lunchtime!" He tried to jump into his seat, but failed miserably and ended up on the ground.

Ainsley looked up from his food, concerned.

I shook my head at Kasey's clumsiness. Kasey reappeared. "Let's pretend that didn't happen. I can still lock you back in that closet if you tell people, Parker. Wait…Who are you?" He looked pleased with himself that he made this discovery without my help. I glared at Kasey. He thinks it's hilarious that I "came out of the closet" and always tells me he'll put me back in it if I don't listen to him.

"I'm Ainsley. You're Kasey, Kelsey's brother, right? " Ainsley asked.

"Yep. That's me. Where's Kels?" Kasey asked, looking around like he expected Kels to pop out of thin air.

Although with Kelsey it was possible.

"I d-don't know," I mumbled, also looking around. Kels was the kind of person that has to be watched all the time, or she'll come up with a stupid idea (Such as climbing a tall tree, picking a fight with porch gangsters, or eating thirteen chocolate bars without stopping.) and even worse acts on her strange ideas. Sure enough, I spotted her.

With growing horror, I watched her stalk over to…
♠ ♠ ♠
I seriously think there was something psychologically wrong with me when I wrote this story. Believe it or not, I edited some of the crazy out of this story.