‹ Prequel: Lullaby And Goodnight

My Father, My Brother

Bandit Lee Way

*Time Elapse*

A soft gasp woke me up not so long before dawn. I kept my eyes closed, listening in the dark. Another gasp and Lindsey sat up. She grabbed my arm suddenly.

"Gerard... Gerard... Wake up, I think it's time!" She said sounding panicky. I practically flew out of bed and pulled the small case we had from the top of the wardrobe, stuffing in Lindsey's clothes and a bunch of baby stuff. She cried out again and sat on the edge of the bed, her hand on her stomach. A rushed patter of bare feet came down the hall and into our room, and a very concerned looking Ellie skidded into the room.

"What's going on!?"

"It's time doll!" I replied, zipping up the case and helping Lindsey into her baggy maternaty clothes and down and out to the car.

"Can I come?" Ellie called from the door as I helped Lindsey in.

"The cameras might be there El." I closed Lindsey's door and ran back in to fetch my jacket.

"Dad!" She complained. I looked at her for a second.

"Okay fine, but sit a distance away in the waiting room and don't talk if there's cameras or anyone suspicious around alright?"

"Deal!" She threw her jacket on over her sweatpants and pyjama shirt and rushed to the back of the car.

"Time your contractions sugar!" I said as Lindsey cried out again. I drove us quickly but carefully to the hospital. I let her lean on me as I rushed her inside, Ellie a few paces behind and goes slower than us as we approached reception.

"My wife's gone into labor! It's Mrs. Lindsey Way." The nurse smiled and buzzed for a wheelchair to take her to the maternaty ward. I beckoned Ellie to follow us some distance behind as we made our way through the white, clinical walls of the hospital. We were quickly set up with a room where Lindsey could make herself comfortable. We got her into a hospital gown then I went and called my mom in the waiting room where Ellie was patiently sitting swinging her legs off a chair.

"Mom? It's me. Yeah I'm sorry I know it's early. Yeah. No look mom, Lindsey's gone into labor, it's time." I held the phone away from my ear as she screamed down the phone. She told me they were on their way to the airport as we spoke, she'd call Mikey, and I half laughed to myself, sharing in her excitement. I looked around the deserted waiting room then went up to Ellie, crouching down in front of her.

"Are you alright?" I asked her, smiling up at her tired looking eyes. She nodded and beamed at me, making me reflect her expression.

"I'm about to be a sister, and, you're about to become a father Gee. Properly." I nodded slowly, letting that sink in.

"We're all gonna have to pull together huh? To make this work. Your grandma and grandpa will be here at around noon. Hopefully junior will have made his way into the world by then."

"You think it's a boy?"

"I think it might be, but who knows I'm just guessing. I don't mind either way." A small groan of pain came from Lindsey's room, so I stood, patted Ellie's head and made my way back in there to support her. The early morning sun was now shining in through the window and onto Lindsey's pained face. I took her hand and kissed her forehead, leaning against the side of the bed. The midwife was just making notes at the bottom of the bed.

"She's not quite ready yet. We've give her a little something for the pain but we'll move onto the harder stuff when she's ready." I thanked her and she left the room with her clipboard, leaving me alone with Lindsey.

"This is it Gerard... Our nine months of waiting are over and our little one is going to be here by tonight." She smiled weakly at me. I put my hand carefully over her stomach and sighed happily. I leaned forward and kissed the bump.

"Come on Junior, today is the day you meet mommy and daddy." I whispered against the bare flesh of Lindsey's stomach. Her slender fingers toyed and twisted in my hair as she played with it absently. I came back up and kissed her lips, smiling against them.

"How's Ellie doing?" She asked, looking a little calmer so I guessed the painkillers were starting to take effect.

"She's a little apprehensive, a little excited. Like us I suppose." She nodded slowly and groaned again, shifting her position in an attempt to make herself more comfortable.

*Time Elapse*

"Okay three... two... one... Push!" The nurse called, Lindsey's leg less than gracefully over her shoulder. I winced a little as her grip on my fingers became bone crushing, but I made no sound as my pain was barely a fraction compared to hers.

"You're doing fantastic sugar come on. Push!" I encouraged. She whimpered, then screamed as she began applying pressure again. I repeatedly kissed her forehead.

"It's almost here Lindsey only a few more pushes!" The midwife said, a smile on her face. I caught Lindsey's eye then slowly let go of her hand as I went to stand beside the midwife. I stared in awe at the whisps of dark hair that was crowning between Lindsey's legs. My first sight of our baby. I felt tears of joy prick my eyes as they looked back eagerly into Lindsey's. One more push and our beautiful babies head was out. I rest my hand on Lindsey's knee, squeezing it encouragingly.

"One more push baby. Just one more." I said almost softly, staring in awe at the beautiful child slowly and painfully making it's way into this world. She screamed again, her face and hair soaked through with sweat, her nails digging into the bedsheets. With that final push, our little one was born, and a pathetic, vulnerable scream echoed around the room. I could do nothing as my mouth opened and closed repeatedly. Completely stunned by the miracle I had just witnessed. The midwife quickly cut the cord and weighed the baby before wrapping a sheet around the screaming bundle before placing it into my arms.

"Congratulations Mr and Mrs Way. Meet your daughter." She then turned to the nurse in the room.

"Six pounds and five point six ounces. Time of birth is two fifty seven PM on the 27th of May, two thousand and nine."

I barely even heard her read off the birth information as I stared at the little girl in my arms. I openly cried as I carried her upto Lindsey and lay her in her arms.

"Our daughter Lindsey... We have a little girl." I cried, leaning my forehead against Lindsey's and kissing her.

"I'm so proud of you. Look at her... She's so beautiful." I touched her dark hair gently, petrified that I was going to break her. She looked like a little doll. Her eyes opened slowly as she adjusted to the bright lights of the hospital room. Those dark eyes that matched Lindsey's. I gasped in wonder, as those big dark eyes looked back up at me.

"She looks just like you Lindsey..." I whispered.

"You think so? What should we call her?" Lindsey looked up at me, a beaming smile on her face although her exhaustion was evident.

"I still like the name Ellie picked out. If you do."

"Bandit?" I nodded, still not taking my eyes off the miracle that was laying quietly in my wife's arms.

"Although, I was thinking, if we could maybe name her after my grandmother as well?"

"Bandit Elena Way?"

"No no, just her middle name. Bandit Lee Way... What do you think?" Lindsey looked down at our baby girl, a small smile tugging at the edge of her lips.

"I think it's perfect Gerard." She looked up at me and kissed me softly as we told the nurse and midwife so that it could go on the birth certificate.

"Why don't you go introduce our daughter to everyone?" Lindsey said, smiling towards the door, where most of our friends and family had gathered. I smiled as I carefully lifted Bandit into my arms. She stirred and whimpered a little before settling back down. I kissed her perfect little nose and carried her to the door, opening it and peeking my head around, hiding Bandit from view.

"Hey guys... We have a new family member we'd like to introduce." I stepped out fully, allowing everyone to see the tiny bundle of perfection. "This is Bandit Lee Way, our new baby girl." I said, tears filling my eyes once again. Ten faces stared in wonder at the baby. Most of their mouths slightly open in awe. I walked out carefully as everyone surrounded us, my mom crying quietly with joy.

"Oh Gerard... She's so beautiful. So perfect." She cried, her hand over her mouth.

"Doesn't she look like Lindsey!" My dad grinned, brushing Bandit's hair back gently. Ellie just looked over, biting her bottom lip slightly. I smiled and nodded her over, letting her know there was nobody around and she could come see. She rushed over, stopping in front of me and I lowered my arms slightly so she could see her new baby sister.

"She does look like Lindsey. She's very cute. You chose my name?" She smiled up at me before kissing Bandit's forehead lightly.

"Congratulations man, she's gorgeous!" Ray and Bob said almost in unison, patting me carefully on the back and ruffling my hair. Bob touched her tiny hand and her fingers curled around it. He grinned down at her.

"Man I have a niece. A perfect, beautiful niece!" Mikey bounced over and took her out of my arms. I laughed as he and Alicia cooed over her. My parent's hugged me before going in to see Lindsey, as did Jamia and Alicia eventually. Mikey took Bandit back into the room, taking Ellie with him as the coast was clear. Frank approached me as we were alone in the corridor.

"She really is beautiful Gee. Congratulations. All this time and she's finally here. How do you feel?" He smiled, touching my arm softly.

"Strange. I'm a father. Responsible for this tiny life that completely depends on me to care for her. Lindsey as well of course."

"She'll be grown up before you know it." He laughed.

"I know. It wont be long till I'm walking her down the isle." He grinned at me and pecked my cheek.

"You should be with your wife." I nodded and we walked into Lindsey's room together, where my parents had claimed our baby. I went and kissed Lindsey again, watching our family and friends coo and go crazy over the newesy Way. I beamed with pride everytime someone mentioned how beautiful or cute she was. Frank included. He wrapped his arm around Ellie's shoulders and hugged her, congratulating her on her new big sisterhood. Nine months of waiting, and Bandit Lee Way had finally arrived.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay guys there wont be an update this week as I'm heading into the Lake District where there probably wont be any internet =/ But I'll update the night I get home, pinky promise x