Even Though I'm on My Own, I Know I'm Not Alone

009

"Oh my god, James!" Bekah screamed from the porch. I slid down in my seat hoping she wouldn't know it was me. I couldn't get my window to go up because I had turned off the car. Fuck.

"James, baby," She knelt down next to him. He wasn't awake. But I didn't care.

She was crying and she looked up and saw my car. "DANNY. WHAT THE FUCK EVEN DANNY ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED?" She got out her phone and dialed on the pad. "Yes I need an ambulance right away on the corner of 5th and 4th street, please come immediately my husband has been hit by a car!" She hung up and glared at me. "ARE YOU FUCKING DRUNK DANNY? HOW COULD YOU?! HE COULD DIE! I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE LEAVE. NOW."

"I just wanted to apologize."

"YOU HIT JAMES WITH YOUR FUCKING CAR. WHAT KIND OF AN APOLOGY IS THAT? A FUCK YOU? HOW MUCH ALCOHOL HAVE YOU CONSUMED?!"

"I don't know. I'm so sick of James getting eery-everything he wants. He has everything. I have nothing."

"Give me your phone. I'm calling Audrey to come get your ass."

"She's out of town. To see her parents. I have no one."

"Stop being such a damn drama queen and suck it up. She'll be back." She walked over to James and sat down beside him, holding his hand.

------

Bekah's POV
Danny never left, he just went back to his car and sat there.

"Step away from the body ma'am," the nurse opened the back of the ambulance. "How long has he been dead?"

"HE'S NOT DEAD." I cried. "HE'S JUST NOT AWAKE, HE'S STILL BREATHING PLEASE DO SOMETHING."

We loaded him into the back and headed to the emergency room.

I waited. And waited. Then I texted Reyna to get to my house to keep an eye on Brooklyn. And I waited some more.

I felt a figure putting weight on the chair beside me, so I looked up to see Danny.

"Securi-"

"No, please don't."

"Get away from me. You shouldn't even be driving."

"I know but I have to tell you-"

"Go home, Danny." I sighed.

"I'll come and see you later." He kissed my cheek, and I jerked away, did he really just have the fucking sense to do that?

"Mrs. Cassells?" The doctor came out.

"Yes?" I stood up anxiously.

"James has a broken leg, and he has slipped into a coma. He may wake up today or tomorrow, this month or next month, or-"

"Don't say it, please." Tears were streaming down my face. This was all too much.