Status: Active, ©2010 Ashton Fos

The Butterfly Room

Chapitre Sept

I scrambled to my feet letting my sister lead me to the water. A small crowd had grown at the shore, confused and shocked. Lumiere was nowhere to be seen on the horizon. I kicked off my shoes, pushing people aside.

 My mind raced. It seemed as if the sun had disappeared and every frightening creature of 'what if' had come out to worry everyone. I splashed into the water hearing my sisters cries from behind. I cut through the water as it got deeper, feeling along the choppy waves at the same time for a foot, an arm, a finger even.
"Lumiere!" I called out. Water was filling my mouth fast. I spit it out, the salt burning my eyes now. I squinted only seeing a bouy. Wait-that wasn't a bouy! Coming closer, I saw that it was the top of lumiere's head. 

Oh no. I thought swimming faster, my arms now propelled the water like a malfunctioning motor boat. Close enough, I saw that her eyes were closed, mouth slack and full of water. What amazed me was that she didn't sink. I grabbed her hand futily trying to rouse her. I paddled with my feet trying to keep above water.

"Lumi?" I rasped. She didn't answer. I hauled her on my back making my way to shore. Her body felt as if it weighed nothing. A sack full of fairy dust. When we made it to shore, the bystanders fawned and peeked through clasped fingers. I laid her on her back. I could hear Tatiana crying softly behind me. A hush went over the crowd, like a dog whistle, no one could hear it...but it was there.

 Lumiere laid motionless, her hair now condensed to her forehead. I pumped all the water out of her stomach feeling like a traitor. I was supposed to watch her. I thought, my Adams apple moved aside letting the choke of tears coat the back of my throat. But I wouldn't fucking cry. Not in front of all these people. No way in hell. And then there was a heartbeat. The imistakeable tapping of a heart against her ribs. Then the humming of her lungs starting, like a generator gaining power. Then the sigh rolling off her tongue. Her cheeks turned rose red, and then her eyes opened. They were the same colour as the first time she opened them. There was a collective letting of breath amongst the crowd. 

"she's okay."
"-shouldn't be playing that far in the water." I heard the crowd mumble amongst themselves as if they loved her, like they were a one big family.

"Theres nothing to see here! Keep on movin!" Tatiana said, shooing away the unhelpful onlookers. Lumiere coughed looking around wildly. It was as if she were a child. And in actuality, she was.
      

Lumi refused to let me carry her home. Instead, she tripped there silently. The excitement of the beach leaving her eyes. Tatiana followed her like a puppy, worried and tired.

 When we reached our door, I heard yelling voices behind it. Lumiere didn't look phased. I put a hand on the knob. Here it goes. I walked in, Tatiana and Lumiere in tow. My mother saw that we had a guest and immediately looked at us ashamed, my father looked away distantly.

"who's your friend Jonah?" my mom asked shakily coming foreword.

"Lumiere." Tatiana answered for me. Lumiere came foreword, still inward.

"hi. I'm Lumiere." she said shyly. My mum looked to me, her eyes full of questions. Tatiana couldnt save me now.

"we...met at the beach." I saw Lumi shudder beside me. "and she needs a place to stay because...her family, left for an emergency." 

"you want her to stay here?!" my dad asked pushing his glassed to the bridge of his nose.

"yes." Tati and I answered. For once, my parents looked to eachother for guidance.

"I want her to stay in my room." Tati pleaded. My mum threw her hands up.

"the more the merrier. Just make sure she stays in TATI'S room." she said resignedly pouring herself a glass of wine and retreating to the balcony. My dad looked Lumi over, grunted and went to his room.

"that's my mom." I said going to my room. "you finally met her."

After taking an extremely long nap, I awoke to the smell of baking. I followed the smell coming to the kitchen and stopping at the door to hear Lumi talking to my mum.

"I don't understand. You don't 'love' him anymore?" i heard her ask. My mother sighed.

"yes Lumiere, some things are just too complicated for you young kids to understand. I just feel so lost." my mum said, her voice broke. What is it about Lumi that makes people want to trust her?! I walked in finding Lumiere covered in flour.

"LOOK JONAH!" she yelled as if I were far away. Ow. My mom stood beside her icing cupcakes, her face rosy. 

"hi Jonah. We're just having some girl talk. Did you wanna help?" I shook my head sleepily. I had never seen my mum look so peaceful. Lumiere has that effect on everyone...except me I guess. I watched the way Lumi's hands kneaded the dough and how she smiled everytime she popped a bubble in it. 

"no Lumiere," my mother commented pointing to the dough. "you don't use your knuckles." the phone rang and my mom left to the next room to get it.
"help her Jonah." my mom said hurriedly leaving. I washed my hands letting her move aside so I could demonstrate. I showed her and she tried again, still not doing it right. 

"use these." I said holding up my palms. She looked confused, her eyes steely grey and determined. I came up behind her cautiously placing my hands atop hers. She shifted away, but slowly came back letting my hands rest on hers. My cheek was brushed her hair. 

"like this." I said pushing the heel of her hand to the dough. She stood rigidly finally relaxing after we had managed to flatten it. Her hands were so soft, as if they weren't real. My mum came in clearing her throat. I jumped away, my face turning red. Lumi looked up proudly.

"look! I did it." 

That night after everything had been baked and our stomachs were full, Lumiere fell asleep at the kitchen table over a glass of milk. I was at the sink drying glasses and plates for my mum. 

She was silent as she rinsed a pot and looked up at Lumi.

"She's such an odd girl. Where is she from?" My mum asked handing me the dripping pot. I smiled drying and going to the table to pick up the abandoned cup.

"I'm not quite sure. Maybe a mental hospital or something." I joked smoothing a curl from her lip. My mother snorted.

"She's a CHILD Jonah, not a nutcase." she said swatting me with a dishtowel. I shrugged drying my last dish.

"Maybe she's both." I went over and picked her up bridal style. "I'm putting her to bed." said yawning and carrying her out. My mom lit a cigarette.

"alright." I went to Tati's room and laid Lumiere on the pullout bed my mom had set up. She whimpered in her sleep as I tucked the covers over her. Tati sprang up from her bed, frightening me.

"She loves you." Tati crooned resting he head of the foot of her bed. Her eyes were moony and sleep filled. Lumi rolled over in her sleep. I scoffed.

"No, she LOVES to be taken care of." I said trying not to smile. Tati groaned crawling back under her covers. I got up and left the room closing the door firmly behind me.

The next morning, I wasn't surprised to find all the women of the household doing yoga out in the balcony. Not that this happened to me everyday...I was just getting used to the weird shit that happened whenever Lumiere was around.

Lumi was wearing one of my mum's sports bras and yoga pants. She was in a sun salutation when she hopped to her feet and lunged for me.

"Jonah! You're awake! I've been waiting for you!" she cried clasping her hands to her breast. Poor Tati was in a complicated pretzel position and my mom was trying to pull her apart. I yawned looking at Lumiere's flat belly. It glittered gold.

"Why do you have body glitter on?" I asked going back inside to the kitchen. She bounced behind me.

"What's body glitter Jonah? Oh tell me." she pleaded. I shut her voice out. It was too early for this, I thought pouring myself orange juice. My father walked in and stared at Lumiere.

"She's still here." he noted taking my glass of orange juice. I didn't like the way he looked at her. It was so...oh nevermind. I pushed the thought from my head as Lumi dazedly played with the golden hairs on her arm. My dad left the room and I looked to Lumiere. My mum and sister had come back inside.

"Im taking you shopping." I stated. Lumiere looked at me blankly. 

"What's shopping Jonah?"