Status: Active!

I'm Not Anywhere Close to Perfect

014.

-Aubree's POV-

What can you do when the man you love goes for someone else? Absolutely fucking nothing. I just look stupid. Honestly, I do. I sighed and got off of the bathroom counter I was sitting on. I gave myself one look in the mirror to make sure I looked alright before walking out.

"Hey." Beth said making me jump.

"Jesus." I said putting my hand over my chest. "Don't scare me like that again."

"Sorry." She laughed.

"It's cool. Where's Lyss?"

"She went home to Bo and the girls."

"Damn." I said sitting down at my desk. "I'm hungry. Wan to go to dinner with me?"

"Sure. Let's go now. I'm not young with no kids anymore, I still got to get home to them." I smiled and nodded. "You should ask Duane Lee, he'd love to."

"Of course he would." I laughed. "Duane Lee!"

"Yes?" He popped his head in.

"Want to go to dinner with Beth and I?"

"Alright. We going now?" He asked.

"I guess." I shrugged. All three of us went in Beth's car to Cheddars. My favorite restaurant of all time.

"Wouldn't that be funny if we ran into Leland." Duane Lee said as we were being seated at the restaurant. I gave Duane Lee a dirty look and he pointed across the restaurant. Sure enough, Leland and a brunette who was probably taller than me was sitting across from him.

"Shit. Can we go?" I asked.

"No. Leaving would be to obvious. He hasn't noticed us yet, just don't look over there." Beth said. I sighed and our waitress came over to get our drink orders and us three gave them to her.

"I don't want to go to work tomorrow." I said glancing back over at them really quick. Leland looked really happy and everything Nicole would say he would either smile at or laugh. I wish that was me. I felt a lump forming in my throat so I looked away and back down at my menu. I blinked back the tears that were forming pretty successfully I thought but once I looked up Beth gave me a knowing look. I gave her a smile and shook my head.

"Ready to order?" Our waitress came back. We gave her our order then she left again.

"Wow, this is fun." Duane Lee said making me laugh. "I have the best idea." He said looking at me.

"Yes?" I took a sip of my drink.

"You and I should date that would make Leland so jealous." Beth and I started cracking up. I shook my head.

"Oh Duane Lee, you make my days." I said smiling.

"So is that a yes?"

"No, you have a girlfriend."

"Worth a shot." He shrugged making laugh again.

"Jeez, Duane Lee." Beth shook her head.

"Ugh, she's way pretty than me." I said looking back at Nicole and Leland.

"Are you nuts?" Duane Lee said. "If he actually asks her to be his girlfriend I'll kill him."

"Aw." I said hugging him.

"No seriously, her roots aren't that great." Beth said.

"Guys. Dad just texted me. We have to go back to the office." Duane Lee said pointing to his phone.

"Why?" I groaned.

"We got a new lead. Remember Jake? He's at his friend's house right now."

"Fine." Beth sighed. "You stay here and wait until the server comes by then pay her." She said standing up. "Let's go Aubree." I stood up also but caught one last look at Leland. He was holding his phone so I assume he got the same text. Right as I was about to look away I him lean over the table and peck her lips gently. Nicole pulled away smiling like crazy so was Leland.

"Come on, mama." Beth said putting her hand on my arm. I didn't hold it back any longer. I walked back out quickly so only Beth could tell that I was crying.

"Beth, I can't do this." I said getting into the passenger seat.

"Just get through tonight and just don't let him bother you. I'd let you take off tomorrow but Lyssa was already took it off so we need you."

"It's okay." I said running a hand through my hair. I sighed and looked out the window. "Oh no."

"What?" Beth asked looking out my window.

"Leland and Duane Lee and that bitch are walking together." I said.

"That bitch?" Beth laughed.

"Nicole..." I corrected myself. "Don't look at them anymore." I said looking at Beth. She rolled her eyes and started the car. A few seconds later Duane Lee got into the back seat.

"Yeah, thanks guys." He said sarcastically.

"What?" I asked.

"I had to meet Nicole and tell Leland I was eating alone so he wouldn't know you guys came with."

"Sorry." Beth laughed.

"Was she nice?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"That's good." I nodded. I wish I could just hit her. I'm not going to lie.

We drove back to the office in silence and I was regretting facing Leland. I feel the more and more I think about him being with someone else my heart hurts worse than it did before. I never cry over guys I don't know why Leland is the only one that can make me.

"We are here!" Beth said in a sing-song voice. I got out of the car and walked in the building. Dog was talking with Leland when I walked in. It looked like it was private so I started to walk away.

"No, Aubree. We need to get started." Dog said motioning for me to sit down. I went over and sat down. Thank God Beth and Duane Lee walked in a few moments later so I won't have to sit through this awkwardness. Both of them sat down and Dog went over the lead then we got suited up.

"Beth would you like to ride with me this time?" Dog asked her.

"Of course." She smiled. They went together in one car and I wasn't going to ride in a car with two love birds and be a third wheel so I went into the other car with Duane Lee and Leland.

"Aubree! You drive!" Duane Lee said throwing me the keys. I groaned and took the front seat.

"I don't like driving." I whined starting the car.

"Follow us!" Beth said over the radio.

"Honk the horn. Leland's being slow." Duane Lee said as if on cue Leland walked out of the office and started making his way to the car. Duane Lee rolled down the window. "Hurry up, jackass!" I laughed and once Leland ran to the car and then I started following Beth.

The car ride to this friend's house was in one word awkward. No that's an understatement. I just can't think of a better word. Hey, at least I'm not in the back by Leland or anything.

"Aubree, I have a new nickname for you." Duane Lee said.

"What?" I asked looking at him through the rear view mirror.

"Half Pint Bitch." He said laughing. I rolled my eyes and groaned.

"Oh God."

"You get it? Cause you're short?"

"Yeah, I'm not an idiot." I said throwing an empty water bottle at him. Both of the guys were laughing. I rolled my eyes once again.

"Okay, it's going to be an apartment building so we just pull straight up. Someone is going to need to stay by the cars just incase he walks by." Dog said over the radio.

"That's going to be you, Half Pint." Duane Lee said making me roll my eyes. We parked the cars and like Duane Lee said I had to stay out my the cars, I didn't really mind. I was walking back and forth looking around.

"Aubree!" I heard a man yell from down the street. I looked and gasped.

"Oh my God." I whispered and he started walking towards me.

"Send someone down. Now, please." I said into my radio.

"What's wrong?" I heard Beth's voice yell back to me.

"My step-dad. He's ou--"
♠ ♠ ♠
DUN DUN DUN. :)