He's Been Wearing the Blue Converses

1/1

He put the headphone in his ear and smirked like Satan, if he ever felt particularly cruel and pressed play. He pushed the doors of the church open and heard the song playing through the speakers – of which he had seized. The majority of the people sitting in the pews had their eyes squarely on him and that just made his smirk more definite – the few people’s eyes that weren’t on him soon had their attention, like a hawk flying around, searching for prey.

He calls the mansion not a house but a tomb.

He could hear the subdued whispers of every guest within the church as he wandered up the aisle, him being the only nonchalant one within the entire church, with his hands behind his back, the smirk still being fairly pronounced upon his lips. He soon reached the front of the church; the alter, where the woman in white and the man in black were standing, facing one another; holding each other’s hands, one being much less into it than the other.

He's always choking from the stench and the fume.

The groom turned to look at him with mild surprise on his face and swallowed with a tangible gesture, turning back to look at his future wife and then back to him. The groom’s future wife stood with a pissed-off scowl on her lips, in complete annoyed defiance that her ‘perfect’ day had been ‘ruined’. The smirk on his lips grew even more conspicuous and the groom dropped his future wife’s hands, turning to the priest.

“Is it all right if we, err, pause for a few minutes?” he addressed the priest in a soft voice.

“Even though it’s rather unorthodox, I would rather that you didn’t have an uninvited guest here,” said the priest in a gentle voice.

The groom smiled and murmured a quick, yet quiet thanks, turning towards him and grabbed his arm. The groom pulled him out of the church and into a choir-like room, with obvious soundproofed walls.

The wedding party all collapsed in the room.

“Why are you here, Oliver?” The groom asked, as he locked the door behind them.

“I came to see you get married, baby,” Oliver said, crinkling his eyebrows, “do you not want me here, or something?”

“No, no. Ollie, I just don’t want them to get suspicious that we’re more than what they think we’re meant to be. There’s a reason I’m getting married. They fuckin’ forced me into it!”

Oliver came up behind the groom and curled his arms around his waist, pressing his lips to his clothed shoulder.

“Hey, we’ll get through it Ben, I promise,” Oliver murmured.

Benjamin leaned back against Oliver’s body, resting his head on Oliver’s shoulder.

“Why are you okay with it all of a sudden? While earlier, I knew you weren’t okay with it?” he asked.

“’Cause I thought it was your own choice at first...now that I know you’ve been forced into it, I’m happier with it than I was and I know that there’s still hope for you and I.”

So send my resignation to the bride and the groom. Let's go down!

Benjamin twisted around like a ballerina and curled his arms around Oliver, nuzzling his head into the taller man’s shoulder. Oliver ran his fingers through Benjamin’s hair, soothing him and curled his arms back around Benjamin’s waist. Benjamin sighed, nearly inwardly and leaned his head up, pressing his lips to Oliver’s for a few seconds.

This elevator only goes up to ten.

“Ollie, I better get back...but I don’t think you would be allowed back...because I gotta make it look like we had a huge fight – and I forced you to leave...even though nobody knew we were together in the first place tull they caught us,” Benjamin murmured, sighing again and leaned his head down, letting his hair fall in his face.

Oliver put his finger under Benjamin’s chin and tilted his head up, “baby, that’s fine...well, there’s nothing I can do about it, just lemme put it that way. But you have to do your duty, because I know that they’ll kick you out if you refuse to do this...it’s not selfish, baby. I think it’s quite selfless, if you ask me. You’re doing something you don’t want to do so that your mothers and fathers selfish needs are fulfilled,” Oliver said in a mellow voice. “Oh, yeah, and there’s one more thing; I love you more than anything else in the universe,” Oliver added, smiling a tiny bit.

“I love you more,” Benjamin teased, grinning.

“Mmm, noo, I love you more.”

Benjamin pressed their lips together again for a few seconds, “I gotta go, babe. I’ll see you later, okay?”

“Alright...you guys aren’t going away are you?”

“We are and we aren’t. You will be able to see me afterwards, at the reception. We’re only going for a couple of days and staying in the city...I will try to escape and come and find you.”

“I could stay in the same hotel? Or whatever? So you can just find me without difficulty.”

“That sounds like a wonderful idea...I’ll text you the hotel name soon.”

He's not around; he's always looking at men.

Oliver grinned to himself and pressed his hand to his chest, sighing with a smile on his face as his heart swelled. He could hear the quiet murmur of the church-goers at the commotion that Oliver turning up unannounced created. Oooh, the scandal!

Down by the pool, he doesn't have many friends.

Oliver smiled to himself and drummed his chest as if trying to calm his pounding heart. He sat on a table that was close by and looked around the room, smacking his lips. He pulled his hood up and stood up, going back into the church and took a seat in the back-most pew on Benjamin’s side. He pushed his hood down and ruffled his blonde hair that he was born with, tilting his head up to watch Benjamin.

The wedding ceremony had commenced again and Oliver paid no attention to this – his eyes were glued to Benjamin. His black hair, which he was born with; his blue-green eyes; everything. Oliver even zoned out, until he heard the priest utter the words;

“If anybody objects, speak now or forever hold your peace.”

“I do,” Benjamin stated numbly.

“You say that later.”

“No, sir, you don’t understand. I object.”

“Why do you object?”

“I-I can’t lie to myself and everybody in my life anymore,” Benjamin turned to his parents, addressing them, “I understand that you guys want to make me happy...but it’s not making me happy...Oliver makes me happy. It makes both of you happy...and if that’s how it’s going to be, then I’m not gonna be a part of that. I would rather be disowned.”

As they are, face down and bloated snap a shot with the lens.

If you marry me,
Would you bury me?
Would you carry me to the end?


A babble of conversation broke out among the crowd and Oliver’s heart pounded in his ears, his mouth curved into a grin that said everything he couldn’t...the moment would be ruined by words, anyway.

Oliver’s ears soon started working again and he turned his head, seeing a horde of bodies spilling past him. He smirked as he heard the shrill protests of Benjamin’s girlfriend that nearly became his wife and her tears, whispering a slight ‘oh’ to himself as he noticed that the church had more or less emptied. Oliver found his feet and clambered up, finding his footing. He ambled up to the front of the church where he found Benjamin, his ex and his parents standing awkwardly. Oliver stopped just short of where the family was standing, at the front-most pew. Oliver heard the soft pitch of Benjamin’s voice, explaining everything to his mother and father with a bit more happiness in his voice. Benjamin turned around and his eyes lit up when he saw Oliver, he signaled Oliver towards him and curled his arm around Oliver. Despite his parents standing right there.

Time passed like two speeding freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m travelling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m at a speed of 35 mph. Soon two months had passed and Oliver and Benjamin could finally be open about their relationship – Benjamin’s mother and father soon had to accept him for whom he was and would continue to be, soon after the whole fiasco had blurred into people’s minds’ eye.
Oliver scuffed his Converse covered feet against the soft, yet hard bark, laughing open-mouthed as he jumped off of the playground and continued running playfully from Benjamin. He soon slowed down and let Benjamin tackle him onto the long, soft grass, grinning as Benjamin pinned his wrists above his head teasingly. Oliver pressed his lips to Benjamin’s a few times in quick succession, leaving his lips against Benjamin’s when he growled like an impatient tiger, which had just been roused from slumber.

“You don’t care if things you do or say are lavish or not,” Benjamin whispered against Oliver’s lips, brushing his lips against his boyfriend’s with each word, “if you get something, no matter what it is, you savor it until it’s so broken beyond repair that you can’t use it anymore; from a shitty teddy bear that you win from a small-town fair to a pair of blue Converses. I love that about you. That’s why I’m doing this the way that I’m doing it...I know that if I did some big, expensive romantic gesture for this, you’d insist that it was too much and get me to redo it, less expensively. So, with that being said; marry me, Ollie?”

Oliver’s breath caught in his throat, leaving any attempt at speech as good as impossible, so, he did the only thing he felt he could do; he nodded his head, yes.

“So that’s a yes, correct?”

“Yeah, it’s a yes,” Oliver barely whispered.

Benjamin grinned and pecked Oliver’s lips, passing him a headphone. Oliver raised an eyebrow, but put it in his ear, nonetheless. Benjamin pressed play on his iPod, and a somewhat familiar tune bombarded Oliver through the mini speaker encased in his ear.

To the last parade
When the parties fade
And the choice you made
To the End.