Alone at Six

Kill Me

She talked and talked, and talked some more; leaving no room for me to interject. It was like talking to a road runner on its eight cup of espresso, only worse because she wasn't relatable or interesting.

"So, as I was saying," she said it like I was listening to all of the words that had shot out of her over-glossed lips, "I'm sorry about the other day, I was totally PMSing. Look! I even went out and bought another shirt."

Indeed she had. It hugged her a few sizes too small in what I guess was a attempt to make her nonexistent boobs look bigger. It didn't work. I don't think anything could make those nubs look larger or better.

"Oh, cool." Though I didn't like her, there was still the fact that she was a fan. She supported us and was apologizing; I had to give her that much. But had she apologized to Cole? That's what really mattered.

Ryan sighed hard, her next words making me think she could read minds. How come she gets the super powers? That's not cool, I want to be a mind reader. I'd read Cole's mind all day, that way I'd actually know what to say half of the time… or I could scare the crap out of little kids. ‘Hey, you. Don't even think about cutting off her hair and feeding it to the dog. You'll get grounded!’

"I'll apologize to Cole later. " My attention was captured at the sound of her name. "I was out of line, I know. I shouldn't have mentioned Cole's parents it was just wrong."

"It was, and you're still a bitch for saying it." I shrugged. "But I'm a bitch too for doing what I did. So, I'm sorry for that."

A jump seemed to sneak its way into Ryan's steps after that. Which was kind of annoying, but whatever.

We made it back to the gym, Ryan explaining how 'totally bogus' her English class was and why she skipped it. I couldn't really understand this, considering English was the class I hated the least in school. I wondered if Cole liked English. Obviously she was a math geek and liked to make little rhymes, but that didn’t necessarily mean she was a writer.

The gym was empty, everyone having gone out to the tennis courts. I was a jackass and assumed Trina was with them and decided to hang around the gym until they came back. Ryan made a excuse to stay with me. Her presence still pissed me off slightly, but had simmered to the point of being bearable.

"Did you ever find out?"

Looking over at Ryan, who had scooted too close again, I asked "Find out what?"

"About Cole's mom, duh. Did she ever tell you?"

"Oh." I guess I'd been too wrapped up in other things to remember that. Normally, I would be grateful for the distraction. But Cole's thoughts of suicide was nothing to be grateful for and only called for a greater distraction. "No, I never found out."

"Can I tell you? It's, like seriously killing me."

Did I really want to know? Of course I did, but I wanted Cole to trust me enough to tell me. She trusted me enough to tell me her suicidal thoughts- she couldn't be too far away from telling me her mom situation. But then again, those were only thoughts. They had potential but they weren't real yet, and hopefully never would be. This mother thing was real and from what I've worked myself up to believing, seemed pretty bad.

"No." I shook my head. "I want her to tell me."

"What!?" Ryan exclaimed, annoyed. "Why?"

"Because it's not really your thing to tell. If Cole's mom died or left or whatever, then that's her life, not yours. If her mom decided that Cole is a waste of a life form and that her brother is just so much fucking better than her and that's why she lived with her dad, then I want her to tell. If Cole did something terrible like killed the cat and burnt it and her mom threw her out, then I want her to tell me. If it's got anything to do with Cole then I want her to tell me because she feels she can."

"You just get really passionate over these things, don't you?"

Damn, I said that out loud? Way to make your unexplained affection so obvious, Andrew.

"Ryan?" Cole froze, having just turned the corner and caught sight of the both of us. "You... have gym this period?"

Ryan looked over at Cole, initial shock still coating face, then back to me. The smile that settled on her face as she stood gave me a disturbed feeling.

"No. Actually, can I talk to you for a sec?" Ryan took Cole's hand and led her away before getting a response.

She lead Cole past the hall the locker room door was in and out into the breezeway, far enough so I couldn't hear a word they were saying. It was nerve wrecking, to say the least. Though I knew what they were talking about. What was Cole saying? Would she forgive Ryan? Or does she hold grudges? If she doesn't forgive Ryan, how will she reject her apology? Will it be harsh, brutal, and well thought out? Or will it be cool, composed, and wordless? Why was this killing me so much?

When I heard them walking closer to the gym, I scampered back to the bleachers and tried to look natural by messing with my boots. Too slowly, I looked up and saw Cole and Ryan smiling over at me.

A bell rang and Ryan looked up. "Shit, ten minute bell. I have to go get my stuff." With that she waved at us and scurried out of the gym.

I didn't see her leave, only heard her. My eyes were glued to Cole as she beamed everywhere she looked. It was nice to see her smile after this morning- no, not nice- it was amazing, great, just simply wonderful. But something uneasy lurked there, something was off. Her eyes looked the same as ever; drained, tired, and one forth alive. The dichotomy between her eyes and lips shot right to my chest and pulled a little at each part of my heart.

Putting on a fake smile of my own, I stood and wrapped my arms around her shoulders. She wasn't going to tell me what happened. If she planned on it she wouldn't be smiling like that, so I avoided the question.

"You should go change," I said instead. "Your class will be back soon.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Grah, I'm so late, I'm sorry. I'm too busy for my own good. Next week I should be getting my life back on track, buy you guys know how good my word is.

hyla hyla hyla. I love you with all my heart..... or at least the part dedicated to writing.

Story time!
You guys know how I'm helping to build a robot? When it has to be able to go over a balance beam and the robot is a bit tall so we're worried that it'll fall. So I was balancing on the bean with the robot, making sure it could get off but didn't roll of the other side and break. Sam, our moronic team captain, decided he wanted to stand on the other side, throw me off balance, and sent me hurtling into the people who were drilling holes in the ball shooter, successfully cutting me in the arm and making me yelp like a puppy.
But our robot is okay!