Status: Just needed to get it off my computer. If it's completed it'll be completed in Cardiac Clockwork - its rewrite.

Some Sort of Angel

Thirteen

You could feel your consciousness. Shit. It didn't work. You moved your head slowly back and forth, squeezing your closed eyelids even closer together. You could hear a horrible ringing noise in your ears. Your hands felt sore and weak, and your heart was beating a steady rythm. You could hear the door open slowly, followed by footsteps. Were two people there? The sounds collided. "Miss Green?" A nurse called softly. "Alice," Your voice croaked, hardly audible. "Just... say... Alice." you replied again. "Sorry, ma'am. Alice. You have a visitor." Your eyes were still shut as you heard footsteps approaching your bed. Squeaking high tops. You had an idea of who it was.
"Al..?" The voice of your friend cracked when he spoke. Sounded like he'd been sobbing. "Ali... it's Frank!" He called, a little louder. "Frankie... Hi." You rolled your head back and forth as you spoke, to turn to where you heard the noise. "Alice! Oh Jesus, I've been so fucking worried about you! God! I thought you were a gonner! We all thought you were a gonner!" You smiled slightly and started to open your eyes. You reached a throbbing hand up and rubbed them, and looked at Frank. He was soaked with tears. You assumed that it was your fault. It was. "Shit, Franks." "Hmm? What?" "I did this."
"No you didn't."
"I made you guys worried." Your voice was still quiet, but you talked a little faster.
"Ali... well..."
"No, Frankie, I did. Sorry."
"It's okay."
"No, it's not."
"Alice! We're just happy your ALIVE."
You fell silent for a minute or two. You shouldn't argue with him now. "Let's not talk about it." You said, looking to the ceiling. "How's Mikey?" You were going to wait to ask about Gerard. You didn't want to sound like a stalker. "He's... decent. I guess. He went to school. He didn't want to, but he did. I just talked to him. He's probably coming now that he knows your heart's beating!" Frank laughed nervously. You smiled. You were happy to know Mikey was alright. "And... Ray?" Not yet. Just one more person. "Good. Talked to him right after I called Mikey. He went home after you were here for about three hours. He said... never mind. He just went home."
"Oh. And... uh... Gerard?" "I was wondering when you'd ask." Frank sighed. "He got sick earlier." "What? Is he okay?" "He's fine, Ali. Just a late night. We stayed in the bathroom for a couple nights and I guess he didn't sleep." "You stayed in the bathroom?!" You asked, raising your voice. "Ali... calm down. We were fine. We just forgot to come out of there. Gerard is here. He's alright." "He's... here?" You asked, your voice getting smaller. "Yeah. He's right outside. You want me to get him?" "I... well..." "I'll get him, Alice." Frank grinned and stood up, kissing you softly on the cheek before heading out the door.
You sat in bed for what seemed like forever. Was Gerard going to be mad? Sad, maybe? You did do all this for him. You were hoping that he'd notice. Your brain started hurting right before you heard footsteps near the doorway. The door squeaked open and then shut as you looked down from the ceiling.
There he stood.
"Hey Alice."
He walked to the chair Frank was sitting in, looking at the floor.
"Hi Gerard."
"You know... I'm really happy you're alive." He plopped down in the chair and grabbed his knees nervously. You smiled for a second only. He spoke again. "Alice... I was thinking earlier." "...Yeah?"
"And I was wondering... Why did you do this?"
You froze.
"I... was just caught up in the moment, I guess."
"What moment? Was it what I asked you?"
"No, of course not, Gee!"
"Alice, do you ever think about love?”
"Not... on a daily basis..."
Gerard sighed. "I do.” He smiled.
Tears came to your eyes even while you tried to hold them back.

Now would have been the perfect time to just collapse, to just fade into thin air. Surely he wouldn’t notice, anyway.