Status: Complete

'Safe' Is Not A Word In My Vocabulary

Chapter 23

“CENT WAKE UP! YOU’RE GRADUATING TODAY!” Bones shouted, yanking me out of my bed with one simple tug of my blanket. I groaned and fell back into the groaned, nearly passing right through it.

“Why am I the only one who had to go to school, you’re the same age and you got away with it?”

Bones grinned smugly at me. “Damien’s eighteen, Bones is twenty five.” I rolled my eyes and sarcastically muttered “Of course,”

My brother laughed again and held out a hand to help me up. “Get yourself together; I want to see your dress.”

I scowled after his retreating form.
Of course, I’d overslept, damn nightmares been throwing me off my schedule.

I looked down at my appearance and sighed. This would take some work, and Alice would kill me if I didn’t do it. I looked at my image in the full length mirror, so I could target exactly what had to be done.

I looked thin, my cotton pants hung loosely from my hips, kept tightly secured by a string rapping around the layer of fabric at my hip bones.

My hair wasn’t that bad, except that it looked wavier than usually, and my skin looked pale.
Well, paler I should say.

I sighed to myself before grabbing a towel from the rack and shutting my door so I wouldn’t be disturbed.

I showered, brushed my hair, my teeth, found some accessories for my dress that Alice would approve of and grabbed the tiny dress and heels.

I slipped them on, gave myself a once over and grabbed the yellow graduation gown.

“Bones! Come here!” I called.

Not a few seconds later he came up and I saw him eyeing me with an amused expression.

“How many people had to die for you to put that on?” he asked chuckling. I ignored his sarcasm and asked him curiously.

“You know, Bones is a wanted criminal, you show up looking like that, Bella’s dad is going to cuff you faster than you can blink.” He rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, you’re point?” he asked and I gave him the puppy dog eyes.

“Well…I haven’t seen Damien’s face in a long time.” I hinted and he laughed. “So the criminal thing was your excuse?” he asked and I grinned.

“Say no more,” he said spreading his arms out wider. “Watch,” he said smirking. I watched curiously as the dark color seemed to shrink back into his skin, like he was bleeding in reverse.

His hair did the same and turned straighter and a shade or two darker, so it matched mine.
His eyes stayed the same, but his face seemed to rearrange a little, like someone was remodeling it with silly putty.

It was almost…disturbing.

Damien gestured to his new face and smirked. “Ta da.” He said and I giggled like Claire
would and clapped my hands.

“Day-Day’s back!” I said, like I would’ve if we were six and playing hide and seek.
He laughed and held out his arms for a hug. I cringed and he laughed. “That’s my girl,” he dropped his arms to his sides.

“Four years and I don’t even get a hug.” His voice was sarcastic and I punched him.
“Yeah, four years was a lot to miss bro.” I said walking out with my actual brother on my tail.

XxX

I sat in the passenger seat of my hummer, turning half way to talk to K-9, Ammo and Crusher, who were to my surprise actually wearing suits.

Apparently, Damien said something about how they’d stand out more if they didn’t and they complied with his order.

Well, it wasn’t really an order but you know what I mean.

At first, they hadn’t complied, but then Damien had made me take off my robe. They saw the red, knee length dress, stopped arguing and took the suits without a word.
I seriously think they were in shock.

Of course K-9 and Bones were sleeveless; K-9’s muscles had grown almost as much as his ego and Bones was twitchy about wearing any large amount of clothes.

“I gotta say; I like Bone’s image better.” Crusher grumbled while Damien/Bones drove. I rolled my eyes and muttered. “Like it matters what you think.” I said and K-9 let out a throaty chuckle.

Crusher gave me the finger and we pulled up to the school.
“Behave,” I insisted before climbing out. A few heads turned in my direction, but I ignored them.

I changed my mind at the last second and gave Damien a hug around his neck. He laughed into my hair. “Good luck baby girl,” he said and I playfully glared at him. “I’m only the baby by three minutes.” I sniffed and he grinned pecking my forehead.

“It’s enough,” and he pushed me towards K-9. I hugged him too before pulling away. I waved halfheartedly to Ammo and Crusher before starting to blend in with the other patches of yellow.

“Hey Cent,” Bella called nervously. I smiled and hugged her. I saw Charlie wave at me from his cruiser and I returned it.

“Hey Bells what’s up?” I asked and she looked around nervously. I pulled her next to an old Toyota and she started talking in a hushed worried voice. “

Alice and I made a break through, regarding my…um…visitor.” I could tell she wanted to say more but Edward was making his way over to us. I cursed under my breath.

“Tell you later,” Bella said and I steered her towards the back door of the gym. “You’re up front Ms. Rodriguez! Third row Mr. Cullen!” the principle and secretary continued to bark out orders and the three of us went our separate ways. I sat in the seventh row next to two boys.

One I knew was on the baseball team and the other from Spanish class.

“Hey, you’re Centhua, right?” asked the muscled brunette one on my right side I recognized from baseball. I nodded to him and he grinned. I was hyper aware of how much leg the graduate gown exposed, and also of the way he was eyeing it hungrily. “Im Chase Rivera.”

He said while I peered behind me to see Bella next to Jessica Stanley.

She was talking up a storm and Bella looked about as comfortable as I was.

“I saw you play baseball once or twice, your pretty good.” He smiled, obviously liking the turn in the conversation.

“Yeah, I got a scholarship to Amberton University in Texas.” I felt my eyes widen, very aware of the way he was flirting with me by bragging.

“Wow, Texas. That’s really far away.” He nodded and I wished the damn ceremony would just start already. “Yeah, I need to get out of here, see the sun for once.” I nodded in polite disinterest and the principle starting talking.

I turned away from the flirt and pretended to listen to him.

XxX

The principle finally called the names in my row and I sighed in sweet relief. Alice and Edward had already received theirs and Alice had dashed out before she saw my dress.

“Melody Reathe, Chase Rivera, Centhua Rodriguez, Nathan Rule…” the list droned on until
I was walking up the four steps to get my diploma. I was aware of my guys’ and Charlie cheering somewhere in the back, but I didn’t acknowledge it.

No, I was more aware of the louder voice that had once greeted my ears at almost every hour of the night.

Jacob stood beside Charlie, cheering louder than the other and looking happy, but also a little guilty. I tried not to glare at him and focused on getting my diploma.

I danced down the steps in my heels and went to greet Edward in the gathered mass of graduates.

“Congrats,” he whispered hugging me. I smiled slightly as more names were called, and watched Jacob out the corner of my eyes. He had his gaze fixed on my face and I felt my lips slip into a pout.

“I’m sorry about him,” Edward whispered, gaining my attention again. I smiled sadly and he hugged me.

I let him and ignored the cheers coming from the proud parents and audience members.

With my hearing, I heard that somewhere in the distance, two wolves howled.

I recognized K-9 and Damien and smiled to myself.

Werewolf tradition states that when a wolf leaves the pack or moves on, you howl twice.
One howl for joy and one for mourning.

“Incoming.” Edward muttered while Chase walked over to us. I noticed his arm around the slim waist of a brunette girl who was on the cheerleading squad and a junior. She looked near exactly like him, so I imagined her to be his sister.

“Hey Centhua,” he called while a few more names were said over the mike. I clutched my diploma with more force than necessary and saw Jacob out the corner of my eye.

He was frowning with his eyes narrowed; he cheered when Bella went up but didn’t take his eyes off my face the whole time.

It was very misleading.

“Yeah Chase?” I said and Edward’s arm was secured to my waist. “You’re going to Cullen’s party tonight right?” he asked and his sister eyed me with a small amount of approval and even more envy.

“Yep.” I said bluntly before turning into Edward. I wondered why he’d been so…oblivious to Edward standing right next to me. Was he being rude by not saying the name, or was it just a habit.

He turned away, satisfied and Bella came up behind us.

“What was that about?” she asked, the principle was into the U’s now.

Edward glared at Chase’s retreating form and shook his head. “Chase Rivera has one of the most perverted minds I’ve ever heard, it’s disturbing to listen too.”

I shuddered slightly and muttered “Than don’t.” bluntly. He chuckled to himself.
“It’s hard to ignore him when he’s shouting.”

XxX

After the ceremony, everyone threw their hats in the air, and the students were engulfed in family members. A bin was off to the side for everyone’s robes and I clutched mine tighter to my body.

Edward chuckled as Charlie approached us.

“Now or never,” he whispered and I sighed loosening my arms and removing my robe. He held his hand out and ran it over to the bin.

“Lovely.” He allowed while Bella nodded in approval.

She was in a blue sleeve less sweated that was complimented by a fancy blue sparkly beaded skirt. Edward was in a black suit with a silver tie.

Speaking of Edward, his head snapped up to glare at Jacob’s back, while he pushed his father out the door.

His glare was even worse than it had been with the last guy and I felt a little self-conscious. “What?” I asked and his glare for me was slightly weaker.

“The pervert, has just been replaced.” He said darkly. I glared at the door, but I was blushing.

My heart ached a bit.

I walked back to see K-9 and Damien had returned and I let them hug me too.

XxX

“Alice!” I whined, “Can I please change!”

We were currently at her house; the party hadn’t started yet and Edward was discussing Bella’s theory with Carlisle and the others. Damien was somewhere, probably where there was a window.

He had insisted on coming with me, not allowing me to hit a vampire party alone. I had eventually spilled that he was my brother, (cause’ he looked like Damien still) to everyone but Bella because she would’ve blurted it to the wolves and I wasn’t having that.

They had no need to know that more than one werewolf was endangering the public, or they’d probably ask question.

I still didn’t trust Sam enough for that.

Alice glared at me and I gave her the puppy dog eyes. Her glare softened and she breathed out in a huff.

“Fine. But only because you behaved and didn’t torch that one.” She motioned to the red dress I was still in. I let her lead me to her closet; smug.

We passed the wedding stuff and I realized I was still not used to the size of this thing.
She brought me to the back of her wardrobe and I was sure I’d need a map to get out.
“I am giving you the freedom to choose, but I have to approve.” She said, motioning to a rack of things that must’ve been my size.

I picked a green shirt with no sleeves and strings to wrap around the neck and a pair of pale ripped blue jeans.

She lent me some black heel boots and a pair of black and green earrings.
“Nice,” Alice commented before she led me out.

When the lights from the party hit my shirt, it seemed to sparkle a little. Alice grinned, probably doing this on purpose, her own sequins dancing. I stuck my tongue at her and went to find Emmett.

Rosalie glared at me when I walked near them but I ignored her as usual.

Emmett whistled “Some one’s gonna be breaking some hearts, eh Cent?” he teased and I punched him. Rosalie sniffed and jabbed her 'perfect' nose in the air. “Or some jaws, you’d better be careful Emmett.”

I smirked at her. “Don’t worry your pretty little head about it Rose, I don’t bite any more than you do.”

She was about to say something when Edward walked in with Bella. I saw her eyes widen and take in the decked out party setting with a slightly awed look on her face.

“I think Im under-dressed.” She muttered looking at me and Alice. Edward and I were about to reassure her when Alice towed her upstairs too.

She came down a few minutes later in a blue top with only one sleeve and black skinnies. She was in a pair off sparkling black flats and had a black necklace on. I whistled like Emmett had and she blushed.

Damien came out of a hallway and wrapped an arm around my waist. Bella’s eyes widened again. “Who’s this?” she asked with furrowed eyebrows. Damien smiled and held out a hand.

“Chris, I’m K-9’s younger brother.”

Okay….not entirely a lie but not entirely the truth either. Bella looked at me with a confused face. But then turned back to my brother.

“You don’t look like him.” She stated shyly. He chuckled. “We have different parents.”
She seemed too embarrassed to comment further so she looked relieved when the doorbell rang. Alice turned the music up and danced to the door.

Damien leaned over to whisper in my ear. “No dirty dancing…with anyone.” I giggled as the party started.

Jacob’s POV

Sam had allowed for me to go the damn party but not without back up. Quil and Embry seemed less than stoked to be going, and I knew that this trip was only adding to the growing list of their reasons to hate me.

I had slipped up on patrol a few nights ago and now they knew what I did with Bella. They were pissed enough that I’d kissed her but then they saw that I slept with Cent and Quil had nearly ripped me to shreds. He had been giving me the silent treatment and I was slowly breaking down.

As if I didn’t feel guilty enough already!

XxX

The drive was dead silent except for the radio and when the stench hit we all braced ourselves. The stench of humans overpowered it a little but my nose was still wrinkled when I rang the bell.

A minute later I decided to screw waiting and just walk in.

Centhua’s POV

Bella was in panic mode.

The party had been going well except for Chase’s continually flirting with me. It eventually got to the point where ‘Chris’ stepped in and threatened his life.

Alice had just had a vision and darted away before we could ask what happened.

The music was too loud for me to hear what was going on and the doorbell rang. I knew the scents and scowled at the doorknob. Damien was stuffing mini hot dogs down his throat and I tugged him away so we could find Alice.

Bella went to let the werewolves in.

I found Alice upstairs, briefing the Cullen’s on how the army was coming. I cussed under my breath and went to find Bella. Damien stood at the top of the steps, a confused expression on his face.

I forgot to debrief him.

“Cent!” Bella called. I snapped my head up to see Jacob practically pinning her to a wall with Quil and Embry flanking him. Quil knew. I could see in his eyes he knew what Jacob had done.

I flitted to her side, my expression hard, but weary.

Bella took in my expression and forgot all about the wolves. “What happened?” she choked. My voice was dead “The decisions been made; they’re coming.” Her eyes grew wide in fear and Jacob growled. I glared at him.

“What the hell, is going on?” He almost moaned and I looked around for escape. None, of course.

“None of your god-damn business.” I said, crossing my arms over my chest. He had us cornered now, and his voice was abruptly softer. “We have a right to know.”

And suddenly it was just him.

His eyes, that had once looked at me with so many love struck emotions and at one point had begged for me.

His face that I had wasted the late hours of the night stroking and kissing and having so many god damn dreams and nightmares over.

His lips that I had spent idolizing and kissing…

That Bella had kissed too.

My trance broke and suddenly I was seeing red.

My hands shook and I wished the moon was full and we were alone so I could rip his spine out. I backed into the wall whimpering and clutching my head. The familiar heat clouded my stomach and I had fight so I didn’t drop through the floor.

Two parts of me where having an internal battle; the wolf and the girl.

The girl won temporarily and I shook my head to clear it.

“You don’t have the right to anything.” I said coldly, noticing that the little battle inside me was just that; inside me.

Jacob had an amused expression on his face and I knew immediately what he was thinking.

“Is there a problem here?” the harsh snarl was thrown by ‘Chris’ who just appeared at Jacobs arm with an expression on his face that was scary to look at.

Jacob dropped his arm, which was a smart move considering he wanted to keep it. Chris’s eyes flashed silver and then yellow and Jacob looked between us.

I gave a small smile in my brother’s direction and he grabbed my waist to pull me towards him. Bella stood behind him, her eyes glued to Jacob. I hadn’t noticed she left.

“He actually has a point.” Edward’s voice was gentle. I looked at him in confusion. Where did he come from?

I sighed and he explained to Jacob.

People around us continued to party, oblivious to the drama that had just ensued and Damien/Chris had one arm around my waist and the other hand clenched.

I stroked his face soothingly.

Jacob’s POV

Cent looked amazing.

Her hair was slightly curlier than usually and her skin seemed to glow in the flashing party lights. Her neck was fully exposed, the love bites I’d left across it from our night long since healed.

She looked so gorgeous. I didn’t want to fight with her; I wanted to kiss her. She seemed pretty pissed at me though, and I didn’t have much of a choice.

Then he came out of nowhere.

Who the fuck was this guy?

He smelled like Cent, only a bit more masculine. He was a wolf, that was for sure, but I thought Cent was alone. He had his arm wrapped around her and I wanted to tear his throat out.

It was worse than with Bella was with Edward.

She stroked his face and it looked like his hand that wasn’t touching her was shaking. Her touch was soothing to him too apparently.

I was listening to the leech talk, but half of me was centered on his hand going from her waist to her tattooed shoulder. He traced the writing and Edward finished his talk.
I dropped my gaze and shared a look with Quil and Embry.

They had the same determination in their eyes and I knew they were thinking along with me.

“We’re in.” I said.

XxX

Bella begged me not to get involved while we left but I blew it off.

“Don’t worry about it Bells,” I muttered walking out.

Before I closed the door I saw Centhua glare at me.

Centhua’s POV

“Well, if there in then Im fighting too.” I said determinedly. Bones/Damien/Chris nodded his approval.

“If the girl goes, the pack follows.” He stated, sounding like our dad. Instead of making me sad though, the impersonation made me smile.

Edward, who was about to argue, closed his mouth and agreed. “Why don’t you invite K-9?” he said sarcastically.

“Cause eight masochistic werewolves just aren’t enough for me.” I could tell he was serious though, so I ignored his sarcasm and muttered, “Sure.”

Bella looked shocked so Edward pecked her lips lightly. “I’ll tell you later.” He whispered.
For some reason, I imagined Jacob kissing her instead and I had a feeling if my brother hadn’t been holding me that I would’ve phased right then.