Another Memory

Thirteen

Alison’s P.O.V.:

I'd kept Gerard's jacket on all day so far, wondering how I was going to return it. I loved the smell it carried, and had remembered it well. It was quite distinct. He'd kissed me; I knew that now, though it made things a little awkward. I wasn't sure how to respond to it, really. I couldn't be angry at the man I had a crush on for kissing me, no matter how strange the surroundings of the kiss had been. Then again he didn't appear to be owning up to it anytime soon, so perhaps I did have reason to be irritated over it.

I tried to think of the reasons as to why he'd not want me knowing, feeling that it was probably my age that had him worried. He was only a few years older, sure, but the age gap was in the wrong place. If I were 18, then perhaps it wouldn't have happened in the dark like that.

I couldn’t concentrate in class, I found, as my English teacher’s instructions went straight through me once more. I looked ahead to find that Mikey, too, appeared a little out of it, wondering then if it was just one of those days. He whispered something to his girlfriend and she blushed, a small smile forming on her lips. I took this as my cue to turn away. I didn’t wanna know.

We got our marks back for our projects in Art, a huge grin plastered across my face as I read the big “A” written in green at the bottom of my assessment sheet. Mikey overlooked and gave me the thumbs up, happy with his own “B”. I was thankful for when the teacher had finished explaining our marks and we were allowed to talk again, the silence slowly getting to me. I didn’t want to think. I needed distractions.

“You coming over tonight?” Mikey asked, not at all looking in my direction. He was doodling on the side of his page. I had to take a moment to think about it. “Alison?”

“Uhh…” If I went over I’d no doubt be faced with Gerard at some point. I wasn’t sure I wanted that just yet, the colour already heating up my cheeks at just the thought of it all.

“You can give Frank your painting whilst you’re over, now that we’ve got our marks. He won’t stop asking me if you were serious or not when you said you’d let him have it.”

“I was.”

“Well then can you get him off my chest tonight? I’ll invite a few others over too. We can play games or something.” I gave in. If I said no to his offer, he’d think something was wrong.

“Okay then.” I’d probably regret it.

It felt like hours that I’d been sitting in the Way’s lounge room on their rather comfortable couch watching and joining in playing video games. Mikey and Gerard had quite a collection. Of course, Mikey and Frank were kicking everyone else’s asses. I had yet to win a round. Their girlfriends had since given up and gone to chat in the kitchen where it was less noisy leaving me alone to watch the boys play against one another. Frank was losing, and the whole neighbourhood must’ve known so by now.

“You cheat! I clearly had you that time!” Mikey just laughed. “Alison, he cheated!”

“Can you keep it down! Fuck!” Gerard came in massaging his temples. “I’ve got a goddamn headache you jerkoff – ohh. Hey.” He stopped his rant once he saw me sitting beside them.

“Well that’s your own problem,” Mikey replied rather bitterly, his eyes not leaving the TV.

“Can we talk about this later?”

“What the fuck for! I don’t care, Gerard…”

“Just drop it.” He left the room as suddenly as he’d entered it.

“You okay Mikes?” Mikey merely nodded to Frank’s question. “Let’s play again.” I got up at that, not wishing to be between another screaming match. Passing the girls in the kitchen, I didn’t expect to be stopped.

“Hey, Alison?” I turned to face Lisa, Frank’s girlfriend. They both had smiles on their faces which eased my tension just a little.

“Umm, yeah?”

“Have you got a date for the prom? We were just discussing it…”

“No. I’ll probably just pair up with someone random.”

“Got your dress yet?” I shook my head. It was clear I wasn’t really the type. “Ohh, well…wanna see mine?” I smiled and took from her extended hand a photograph of the prettiest blue dress I’d ever seen.

“Mine’s the same colour, but a little shorter,” added Christie. I nodded in approval. “Mikey told me to get something black, but I didn’t want to look morbid, or something.”

“Where were you headed to?” Lisa asked.

“Just to get a glass of water. They’re getting a little crazy in there.”

“So we heard,” agreed Lisa.

“What the hell is Gerard’s problem, yelling at them like that?” Christie started. “It’s his own fault if he’s got a headache.”

“He’s such an idiot. Poor Mikey.” I wanted to ask what they were on about, but didn’t want to seem interested. Christie seemed to tell I was, despite my silence.

“He came home piss ass drunk again last night, after he’d promised Mikey he’d not do that anymore. I’m pretty sure they had a fight over something too, probably his meds again.”

“Ohh…” I had no idea Gerard was like that. He’d always seemed the introvert, and so I couldn’t imagine him at the local pub.

“Didn’t Mikey tell you?” I shook my head. “Wow, I’m surprised. I thought he’d at least have warned you. I mean, he can be pretty creepy sometimes.”

“Yeah,” I agreed, just to keep up with the conversation. “But he’s a good artist.”

“I don’t understand his art. Mikey showed me a bit of it when he was out once, and it’s all pretty fucked up.”

“He’s a comic book nerd, you can see it in everything he does.” The girls giggled to one another, and to be honest, my insides were boiling at their shallowness.

“He’s one of the kindest strangers I know,” I started, placing my hands on my hips. At that point, I couldn’t have cared less what they thought of me. “He’s given me a place to sleep and cared for me when I was completely out of it. He helped me get an A for an art assignment.”

“He gave you a place to sleep?” Lisa asked.

“You didn’t…like…” They were both staring at me now, no clear expression on either of their faces.

“No…” I felt myself blushing. “Why would I do that? I don’t know him.”

“Well you slept in his bed, yeah?”

“I’d never sleep with Gerard…just being in the same room as him creeps me out,” Christie said, shuddering at the thought. I didn’t see how they could think that of him.

“To be honest, I’d fuck him right now,” I said perfectly clear, turning to leave the room. I couldn’t stand their comments any longer, and hoped my last one had creeped them right out. I turned the corner to exit the kitchen, running straight into the worst situation I could imagine. Gerard took a step back and then looked to the floor, mumbling something I didn’t quite catch.

“Pardon?” I said, though it came out a little choked. I knew he’d heard what I’d said and even if I hadn’t meant it the way it must have sounded, I knew it’d come out that way regardless.

“I said, I wasn’t listening, okay?”

“Well you obviously were if you’re telling me you weren’t…”

“What, so you wish for me to have heard that?” His eyes flickered up to meet mine through his hair, and again I looked away.

“I didn’t mean…just…well you heard them. You heard what they were saying.”

“What were they saying?” I couldn’t believe it. He’d come in at literally the worst point in that conversation, and now probably wouldn’t believe a word I said on the matter.

“Never mind. I’m off.”

“I’d like to know, Alison.”

“Well I don’t want to repeat it, okay? They weren’t being very nice, that’s all.” I began to slide my arms from his comfy jacket. “Here’s your jacket. Thanks.” He took it without a word, studying my face for what seemed an unnecessarily long amount of time. “What?” I was beginning to get annoyed. I wanted nothing more than to leave, but his presence was blocking the hallway.

“You’re just so…” I waited, but he never finished his sentence.

“So..?” He looked back to the floor, sliding his jacket on all the while.

“You’re such a tease, love.” With that, he turned and began the descent to his room.

“Excuse me?” I followed behind him, stopping him at his bedroom door. “You’ve got no fucking idea, Gerard Way.”

“Ohh?”

“You think you’re so damn smart. You think I don’t know who kissed me the other week?” His face flushed a light pink in colour, and I knew I’d got him back.

“So you’re accusing me of being the bigger tease here? Well hun, I guess that means you enjoyed it.” He then disappeared into the darkness of his room, leaving me standing alone out in the hall. He had me there, and he knew it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote part of this in my Philosophy lecture, haha. Now I don't know anything about representation! D=
Thank you to XxHunniXx, OnceUponANitemare, and Evil_Angel for commenting. <3