To Have A Love Like This

Chapter Seven

Erik POV

The next morning my actions were sluggish. I didn’t get any sleep last night and the kink in my neck made things worse. I had told David I wasn’t going into work today. No doubt he was going to tell Mike, and both of them not expect me. And when I show up work they demand I go back home. I couldn’t exactly go to David’s house. He would go home and in his words, “just to see Emily.”

I had to get Samantha alone though. She was hiding something from me and I want to know what. Even though it’s not any of my business what she had done when she moved or when things ended between us.

It’s just the thought of her now having a kid kept coming to the front of my mind. She shouldn’t have one that isn’t mine. I froze, surprised that the thought came to me. I don’t care that she has a kid and it isn’t mine. I ended things with her. I don’t care that she couldn’t keep her legs closed when I left her.

As soon as the words crossed my mind, I felt guilty. I didn’t mean a single thing. It just proved that I did care and that wasn’t good. At all.

Sam POV

“You know, if you keep spacing out like that, I’m going to start to think that you’re incapable of going out and buying things I asked for,” Emily murmured. I snapped out of my haze, shaking my head.

“I’m sorry; I have a lot of things on my mind. So what do you want me to get? Just give me a list and Sydney and I will have some fun.” I smiled for her benefit.

“Actually, I was going to have Sydney stay with my mother so you could have the day for yourself.” She was getting stuff ready in a bag to take to her mother’s. Scott and Sydney were in the living room watching TV. She would look at the time and go faster until she dropped something on the floor and repeat the process.

“What do you mean? I planned to take Sydney out and walk before we went to buy the things.” Emily looked at me.

“Well if you want to. I just thought you might want to walk the streets and not worry if Sydney sees you having an emotional moment or whatever.” She stayed looking at me. The task she was doing forgotten.

“Do you think I would have an emotional moment?” I finally asked. She shrugged, lightening the atmosphere.

“You know what I mean,” she answered. I called Sydney in the room and she agreed eagerly to meet Emily’s mother and spend the day with Scott. I told them goodbye as they got into the car and pulled out, my heart going with Sydney because I wouldn’t see her all day.

I looked at the list Emily left me. There wasn’t a lot on it but the distance between the things would take up the day. I went upstairs to fetch my bag and leave the house.

Noon had come quicker than I thought. Emily only called once to say Sydney was fine and to ask how things were going. I left bags at her house and decided to go out for lunch instead of raiding her kitchen. A small restaurant caught my eye. I walked in taking in the booths and tables filled with people. Even the bar stools. A waitress came up in black pants and blue shirts and tired smile. Lunch hour was really beating her butt.

“Hello, welcome. Is it just you?” I nodded smiling back. I looked at the people around me. Some of them looked familiar. I put my hair around me as a curtain to hide my face. Luckily, she sat me at a booth in the corner. “Can I get you anything to drink?” She grabbed a pad and a pen from her apron and waited for me.

“Yes, I’ll have a Coke. Um, a menu?” I asked. She giggled, blushing a bit.

“I’m sorry I should have told you. Right there,” she pointed the end of the booth. She murmured something about coming back in a few minutes then left. I scanned the menu. There wasn’t much on it except about two or three plates per meal time.

“Oh well, well, well, fancy seeing you here,” someone said from beside me. My head snapped up to look at Erik. He smiled lightly before sitting next to me. “What are you getting? I suggest you get the cheeseburger. They’re the greatest.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Um, having lunch,” he answered confused.

“I meant sitting at my table.”

“Oh well you looked kinda lonely.” He gave me the famous sheepish look. I bit my lip hard to fight back the memories it brought back.

“That’s your opinion, not mine. So I would like it if you left and sat somewhere else.”

“There aren’t any more seats. Look around you,” he gestured with his hand. I forced myself to look, gritting my teeth. “I thought you might be nice enough to let me eat with you,” he looked at from under his eyelashes. A look I could never resist. It proved to do the same right now.

“Ugh fine, but don’t talk to me.” He chuckled holding his hands up.

“Okay I’ll find it hard to accomplish though. I mean we’re not even two feet away from each other. And who wouldn’t want to talk to such a beautiful girl like you,” he smirked.

“Leave,” I growled. “Now.”

“Okay I’ll stop. I promise.” The waitress came back with my Coke. She looked at Erik surprised.

“I didn’t expect you to be here, Erik. I didn’t expect you to ever be back. I mean not after old man Henry tried to kick your ass for-”

“Okay, we get it,” he interrupted. She looked at me thinking he was trying to impress me.

“Oh I’m sorry. What do you want?” she asked him.

“A Coke also and a cheeseburger nothing on it and ketchup, please?” She looked at me next.

“And what about you, missy?”

“Um I’ll have the same.” She wrote it down going to the kitchen. An awkward silence passed as we both sat there looking at two different places.

“Will you ever tell me?” he asked lowly. I glanced at him from the corner of my eye.

“What are you talking about?” I played dumb. He gave me a slanted look.

“You know, I’m damn sure you know.” I shrugged putting the straw in my Coke.

“I seem to have forgotten,” I mumbled.

“I’m pretty sure you can’t forget that you have a daughter.” I stopped turning the straw in the cup.

“Of course I wouldn’t forget, Erik. Do you think I’m so stupid or what?”

“I was only asking,” he snapped. The waitress put his cup on the table along with his straw and left quickly as she came.

“I told you last night. Maybe you’re the one that forgets.”

“No, but I was hoping that I would get something out of you today.” I shrugged my shoulders. “No luck?” he asked. I shook my head no. He sighed leaning back in the booth. He played with the wrapper of his straw. He had bags under his eyes. More so than last night. I put my hand over his instinctively.

“Did you not get any sleep last night?” He looked shocked when I put my hand on his and I realized I made a huge mistake. He grabbed it and held it when I tried to pull away.

“Is it obvious,” he murmured.

“Only a little,” I answered.

“Oh man and I can’t wear make-up like girls to cover it up.” He shook his head dramatically. I giggled in spite myself.

“I think I can fix you up without making it look like you have any on,” I whispered subconsciously playing along.

“I don’t think you got any foundation that will work on my skin tone,” he whispered back. I giggled louder. He smiled something swimming in his eyes.

“What the fuck is wrong with me?” I gave him a confused look.

“Why do you say that?” Before he could answer the waitress came with our food. We snapped back to reality.

“Here you go guys. Do you need anything else?” We both shook our heads no. She nodded, smiled, and then left. I looked down at the grease burger and tried to ignore the nausea rolling in my stomach.
♠ ♠ ♠
This may be late, oops :]

C O M M E N T !! ;)