Status: Ten Stars; as of March 18th. Thanks so much!

The Photo Effect.

Perks Of A New Camera.

October 30th, Julianne and I are officially eighteen. Of course, she is allowed to have a party at our house, while I go sulk at my favorite coffee shop to think more about who this ‘Zacky’ character is and sketch out my photography project. I had asked Delilah for this Saturday off, and for what? To be depressed at the fact that I am by myself, that I can’t dig out that my sister has been late coming home for the past month or so that she’s had her job and it’s eating me alive, or keep Mr. Baker out of my thoughts. Our parents have yet to catch her, I’m just surprised they haven’t yet.

So as I sit and stir my coffee aimlessly, wishing Em and Kael were here to cheer me up, I am unaware of someone standing across from me at the small table. The only reason I am known to their sneaky attendance is because I feel heavy eyes looking at me and they cough with resolve.

“May I ask what you are drinking?” The voice is low, yet peculiarly familiar.

When I look up, I am not expecting this face. I smile, and gesture for my intruder to take the opposing chair. “What are you doing here?” I ask, with a hint of stupor.

“A little birdie told me that I could find you here,” he said, leaning onto the table more.

“Would that birdie happen to be Emily?” I ask Kael, noticing just how big my smile is until I take it down a notch.

Faking a hurt expression, he grips his chest before revealing, “what? I can’t know where to find my best friend on my own?”

I blink several times before cocking my head to the side to say, “but you just said a little bir—“

“I know Riley. Must you be so serious all the time?” He asked pointedly.

“Yes.”

“Well it’s not attractive, doll.” He tapped my hands, apathetically. For some reason that word rubs me the wrong way. Mr. Baker has called me ‘doll,’ so has Zacky and now Kael. Am I merely being dense about all of this?

I scrunched up my nose, playfully before hitting his hands away. Emily must be getting me something for my birthday after I specifically told her and Kael not to, and she knew he’d do a much better job at distracting. Which, I had to give it to her. Emily wouldn’t have been able to keep my present a secret. Kael was good at changing the subject so at random that I didn’t even bother trying to pry it out of him what they were up to. I knew it would just cause me trouble.

Daringly, I asked the real reason as to why he was here. He told me. It wasn’t what I was expecting however. He said Emily had to work later than usual, but we were still going to be hanging out after she got off work. I should have done a better job at hiding my sullen expression because as glad as I was to have my friends, it must have been nice for Jules to be at home setting up the house, and literally freaking out on what should happen or what she was going to wear. She was even ending her party early to take a short shift at work. Now tell me there isn’t something wrong about that.

“C’mon,” He lifted my arms as we stood. “Let’s go get Em.”

Upon arriving at Emily’s work, I was completely flabbergasted. She had made me a cake, so that was why she was taking so long. It was perfect, and I was dumb enough to leave all my camera’s at home. Well, the best memories are the ones you can remember, and will for a long time. Except, I didn’t have to because I was drug into the back room where there was a pretty purple box tied with a pretty silver bow. It was pretty heavy, so I set it on the nearby table. I am not one to save wrapping paper, so I began to shred. Upon opening the box I saw something shiny, bulky and black. On the inside was a camera, except it wasn’t just any camera. It was one that I’d had my eye one for months but couldn’t ever afford. And my two best friends had gotten it for me along with film and a strap?

“Now you can take a picture of your cake—go, go! Try it out Riles,” Emily’s voice was as excited as I felt.

Making a beeline towards the front room, I flashed my camera. It was as natural as breathing whenever I pressed down on that button. I had become so overwhelmed by my new camera, I didn’t notice when Emily and Kael reappeared, holding hands. Taking a picture of their interlaced hands, I looked up at them and snapped another before removing my eye from the clear hole. This had to be by far the best gift ever. I thanked them by engulfing them into a hug.

“What would I do without you guys?” I asked, completely serious.

Kael smirked, “didn’t I tell you that you need to tone down your seriousness?”

I rolled my eyes before I was bombarded with cake all over my face. So classical of them to do, yet I don’t think I would have wanted to spend my birthday any other way.

Monday. What else is there to say about a Monday after Halloween? Give for the fact that it’s an oasis at school because people were out all weekend getting trashed. Yet, I found amusement in all of it. Here I was, walking over to my locker and nothing could stop my mood from being so grand.

I lied. Mr. Baker can surely influence a classroom with his agitation. He seemed on edge about something, and as much as I wanted to snap him out of his state, I sat in my usual spot and watched him teach. He didn’t like the fact that people weren’t getting his answers right, so he assigned us all some pretty profuse homework. And when the bell rang, most of the students—including the cheerleaders—dashed out the doors.

“Can I get a ride home?” Em asked, packing her papers into her backpack.

“Sure, I have to talk to Mr. Baker real quick. Meet by the lockers?” I said as we went our separate ways.

She looked from our teacher and then back to me before laughing audibly, “good luck with that one.”

I flipped her off, and hesitantly walked down the few stairs to the middle of the auditorium. Mr. Baker was straightening up the piles of papers that a couple of students who’d skipped out on Monday couldn’t claim. He paper clipped them together, and for the brief moment we made eye contact, I gave him a small smile. It didn’t do much because he probably thought I was trying to swoon him, but I wasn’t.

“Um, Mr. Baker,” I squeaked out, prepared for the worst. He didn’t seem this bad during fourth period. Or maybe I was just writing so much that I didn’t pay any attention.

He snapped his head in my direction. “Ah, the other twin. What can I do for you?” His tone was venomous. It must have been a bad weekend for him or something.

“I uh, I just, well shit… I mean,” I went to cover my mouth with my hands. Even though I’m pretty rebellious, I’d never actually swore face to face with a teacher. He’s just gotten me so nervous that I can’t seem to formulate any words. This was not a good sign, definitely not. I didn’t even get these feelings with my ex-boyfriend and here I was, completely smitten with my History teacher. The moment I get home, I’m going to literally smack myself.

He folded his hands over his chest, and rose an eyebrow. “Yes?”

“Never mind,” I whispered before brushing past him to leave. Though I wanted to turn around to the point of where it hurt, I made myself rush through the double doors and head to my locker where Emily was waiting.

“Do you mind if we stop by the photography room? I have to get my camera,” I asked Emily, but started to walk in that general direction regardless.

She took the hint not to ask what I had to inquire from Mr. Baker. Smart girl, I smiled to myself. But it soon vanished as soon as it came. Everything had been going good. He would occasionally call on me in class, we’d flirt secretly and he seemed to always be in a pretty good mood, until today that is. A few times we had talked after class. Most of it was about how I could turn his homework assignments into novels, but Mr. Baker seemed pretty cool. Even though he was in a shitty mood, he was also still smoking hot in that black and white school boy shirt.

Once I retrieved my sacred camera, the one Em and Kael had gotten me and Mrs. Wooden let me keep in her class for safe keeping, we headed towards the Senior parking lot. It was pretty deserted by this point, except for a few student and teacher cars. I had to park all the way by the teachers cars this morning, but I wasn’t complaining because I felt my heart pulse throughout my body when I spotted Mr. Baker’s black SUV.

“Damn it,” Emily cursed. “I forgot to grab my notebook, I’ll be right back.”

“Okay,” I answered monotonously and continued walking.

A few giggles were heard close by, but I chose not to listen to them as I made the walk to my car. By the time I had made it to my car, I saw a couple students up against the far wall of the parking lot. As if it wasn’t bad enough to have teen angst, I got a perfect display of this couple practically air fucking one another. It wasn’t that I was staring in awe, it was more in disgust—until I realized that I knew the girl being held up by the guy whose arms were very colorful.

My heart literally came to a halt. I knew those two, and I know why because not only was is Mr. Baker sucking face with a recognizable girl, but that girl was my sister. With my eyes never straying from the very promiscuous couple, I reached in the middle console for my camera and snapped a few pictures. Why is this happening? I asked myself as I watched them disappear from my view. With my hands slightly shaking against my camera, I scrolled back to view the photos. I stopped on one of my sister’s face in plain sight. There was no way anyone wouldn’t be able to identify her.

Confusion crept its way through my entire body, to the point of Emily asking if I was alright the whole way to her house. I put on my best face, and told her that I was fine, but I knew she didn’t buy it for a second. So she hugged me goodbye, and I peeled out of her driveway. Was I supposed to confront my sister? I shouldn’t have seen what I did. Was I just going to delete those pictures and pretend it never happened? No, I couldn’t. All I needed was time to think.

I never sing in the shower, unless I am stressed out. And by eight o’clock I was going crazy. I had no clue how to even approach the subject, and like I could anyways because Jules was at work yet again. Even though her coming in later has ceased, there was still a few times she would walk into the dark house at ghastly hours. When I got out of the shower, I plugged in my hair dryer and began to scream while my voice could be masked by the loud buzzing noise. I decided to straighten my hair while I was at it. With the now silent surroundings, my head was flooding itself with unanswered questions. Most importantly, what was I going to do?

That night as I laid in bed, I found myself staring into blackness. Replaying over and over again were the events of today. What was Jules thinking? Sure Mr. Baker was fine as hell, but it was hard to believe that she found him the least bit attractive. She liked her guys tan, buff and downright incompetent. Groaning, I rummaged around my floor in search of my camera. It was definitely Julie and Mr. Baker. Damn it Jules, what are you doing? I shut my camera off, placed it on the floor and buried myself into my bed.

My eyes were starting to feel heavy. Any minute I would soon drift off into sleep, but the beep coming from my phone told me otherwise. I moaned. It was probably Emily or Kael asking if I was alright or something. But, I decided to reach over to my night stand and check it anyways.

Hey.

I rolled my eyes. Why did this kid keep talking to me? What?

Getting annoyed yet?

Shit yeah I am. So unless you tell me who you are, please stop talking to me.

Your language is bad. I should really tell your English teacher. ;)

I’m serious. Who in the hell are you?

I’ll give you a hint: did you get enough pictures? Now use your pretty little head.

Boy this asshole knew how to get me upset, and just before I was supposed to go to bed. Zacky, Zacky, who did I know—oh. No, it couldn’t be him, could it?

The next few days, I made sure I always had my camera on the ready. Mrs. Wooden asked if I wanted to store it away, but I insisted that I wouldn’t forget it in one of my classes. She didn’t poke the issue after I told her flat out that it was my responsibility. As I rapidly walked through the hallways, I shook at my own sick joke. Julianne was definitely in first place when it came to my pictures now.

So that Thursday afternoon, I pushed my bangs to the side of my face while I walked behind Emily into Mr. Baker’s class. I didn’t know if I was completely disgusted with him for fooling around with a student regardless if she’s eighteen, highly turned on that he would consider hooking up with students, or outraged because he was my mysterious text message buddy and couldn’t come out to say it. Since I hadn’t made my decision yet, I must have been deep in thought because of course I got called on. But this time, Mr. Baker was exceptionally exuberant today.

“Riley, what’s one way to display propaganda?” He asked, looking up in my general direction, ready to write down my response with that left hand, and those constricting forearm muscles.

Bitterly, I retorted, “Photos. They can be good enough proof.”

He coughed before deciding whatever he was deciphering wasn’t worth it and wrote it down. I got a weird look from Emily, but I waved her off. I wasn’t going to tell this to anyone, not just yet anyways. I needed more evidence. Photos of them in the parking lot just wasn’t enough—for me.

I wasn’t even taking my sweet ass time in gathering my belongings. I just wanted to get the hell out Mr. Baker’s classroom. So, when he called out my name I kept on walking all the way out to my car. I didn’t want to, or have to face him. Who cares if he is my teacher or not. What he is doing is… oh, shit. I thought as I felt light around my neck, my hands frantically searching over my body. Where is my camera? I stomped hard on the pavement, looking back towards the school doors.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to:With_Vengeance: Emily this update came soon. :)

Also thanks to: TwistedScars ; Strange Lifestyles ; Sister Ginger ; KatieChrist ; SexyBreeze9878 ; Jazz1617 ; AshleyV6661 ; carpe_diem ; imperfecktion ; XtremeFairy ; xshanmarie21

I hope you like this chapter. I know it goes by fast, but it had to happen sooner than later.